Andrew Welham

Default Building an Extension (Garage and Block Selection)

Dear all

After reading the news groups archives and the building regulations for
the past few days. I have made some (but slow) progress in the design of
my extension. What I have so far is:

My house (1960s) semi detached is 6445mm wide and 7130mm in depth
(excluding the porch). I have a side entrance with is 2360mm with at it
narrowest point (including the brick wall which I am responsible for
450mm wide).
I have a private (I think council not back from Christmas yet) drain
running parallel to the back of my house, with the edge of the man hole
cover being 2680mm from the back of my house (and ending 3200mm from the
back of the house).

I have an old garage in the back garden, which starts 4200mm from the
back of the house. This will eventually be demolished, since it is made
on a solid slab, and I don’t want to loose any more garden this will
turn in the patio after the rebuild has been completed. Therefore my
back wall of the extension must be between 3200mm & 4500mm away from the
house. That’s the background out of the way, but I thought it might be
helpful.

The garage will be built in the side entrance and I need it to be as
wide as possible.

Can I assume the 450mm wide brick wall that I am responsible for is on
my land and therefore when I remove this wall my foundations can take up
the space where this wall once sat ?

I am planning for the garage on using 100mm (building regs say 90mm Min)
concrete block in a single leaf wall with from end bonded at least
190mm(this will also form one side of the door way. The other end will
be bonded to a two leaf wall which will form also contain dual doors (30
minute fireproof) for access to the extension living area. The
regulations also say there must be piers at a maximum of 3000mm apart
since the garage will be 7133mm long I am planning on having two piers
at approximately 2377mm intervals. The doors between the garage and the
main living area will be will have a step not less that 100mm high, and
any pipes entering the garage from the existing house greater than 40mm
will be fire proofed.

Dose this sound ok to every one? Have I missed anything?

I am still looking into the roof. I defiantly want a flat roof to stay
in keeping with the neighbours. I assume I can have a cold roof for this
un-insulated garage? Made up I guess of marine ply and multiply layers
of felt (3 I think).

The roof joists. One end is fixed to the wall I will build out of
concrete block.
The other end I assume is fixed to the house by joist hangers?
One answer I can’t seem to find is,

What do I do about the bit of the garage between the top of the door
frame and the roof? Does this have to be block, and if so what holds it
up or can it be made of wood and fastened in the same way as the joists?

The garage will be built first then the extension, but while I am
thinking about blocks
The last question in this post, should I and can I use the 100mm
concrete blocks for the inside and outside walls of the main extension
which will be going across the back of the house and garage. I am
planning on rendering the garage and extension to ensure they are in
keeping with the neighbourhood.

Many thanks

Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .

Owain

"Andrew Welham" wrote
| The garage will be built in the side entrance and I need it to
| be as wide as possible.

1. It might be very useful or essential to keep external access available to
the back garden - you don't say whether this will be available on the other
side of the house - rather than having to take the lawn mower etc through
the garage and back extension (also for fire brigade to get a ladder up to
back bedrooms). You migth also have to leave a gap between the wall and the
boundary to allow for foundation width, guttering, or maintenance.

2. If there is any possibility that you could have a first floor extension
above the garage at a later date, get the foundations sized and the ground
floor walls built to satisfy building regs for a two-storey building now. It
will add very little to the cost now but make things much easier in the
future. By 'any possibility' I mean whether the position of walls, roof,
windows, makes any sense for the first floor to be extended out to the side,
rather than whether the planners would pass it now. Planning policies can
change. If there is such a possibility, consider that a new bedroom above
the garage might want an en-suite, so put in the ug drain now in preparation
for a soil stack.

Owain

Set Square

Andrew Welham wrote:

[...]

I'm trying to get my head round this lot - but here are a couple of initial
comments/queries.

Are you sure that the brick wall on the remote side of your side entrance is
450mm (18") thick? What is on the other side? You may be responsible for it,
but I'm not sure that that necessarily means that the boundary is on the far
side of it. I have a feeling that foundations (which will necessarily extend
out further than the outer edge of your new garage wall) need to be on your
land - so it's important to bottom out these issues.

It seems to me - from the dimensions you have stated, that the internal
width of your garage - particularly where narrowed by the piers - may be
insufficient to get a car in or - at any rate - to open a car door once it
is in. This all needs calculating very carefully.

Over the garage door, you could use a wooden frame covered by ship-lap or
similar. Otherwise, you'd need a lintel with blocks above it.

I don't quite understand about the manhole. Is it going to be *inside* the
extension? Is it storm or foul (or combined)? Incidentally, getting an
answer as to whether it is public or private may not be straight-forward -
because many of the records seem to have got lost - in my area at least - in
the local government reorganisations in the 70's or whenever! [You'll
probably find that if you want to build over it, it's public - but if you
want it unblocking, it's private! g]

Your living accommodation extension will need to satisfy all the latest
building regs with respect to thermal efficiency - which requires a high
standard of thermal insulation. I can't quote any U values off the top of my
head - but I imagine that you will be required to use insulating blocks for
the inner layer - and maybe to dry line on the inside of that.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andrew Welham

Owain wrote:
"Andrew Welham" wrote
| The garage will be built in the side entrance and I need it to
| be as wide as possible.

1. It might be very useful or essential to keep external access available to
the back garden - you don't say whether this will be available on the other
side of the house - rather than having to take the lawn mower etc through
the garage and back extension (also for fire brigade to get a ladder up to
back bedrooms). You migth also have to leave a gap between the wall and the
boundary to allow for foundation width, guttering, or maintenance.

I will keep access to the back garden via the doors at the front of the
garage, then through the extension (utility room part). Double doors all
the way. This will allow me to bring large items in via a different
route, as well as a separate fire exit, As for lawn mowers they will be
kept in the new shed then its built that one comes next.

2. If there is any possibility that you could have a first floor extension
above the garage at a later date, get the foundations sized and the ground
floor walls built to satisfy building regs for a two-storey building now. It
will add very little to the cost now but make things much easier in the
future. By 'any possibility' I mean whether the position of walls, roof,
windows, makes any sense for the first floor to be extended out to the side,
rather than whether the planners would pass it now. Planning policies can
change. If there is such a possibility, consider that a new bedroom above
the garage might want an en-suite, so put in the ug drain now in preparation
for a soil stack.

Its a good idea, but I don’t think I will need to do that, and the
chances of planning permission for anyone on our area to have that done
is minimal. But a good idea any way.

Owain

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna

Andrew Welham

3rd time to resend this item (sorry if the failed attempts appear too).

Set Square wrote:
Andrew Welham wrote:

[...]

sorry my mistake 45mm i.e. 1 brick wide

but I'm not sure that that necessarily means that the boundary is on

the far
side of it. I have a feeling that foundations (which will necessarily

extend
out further than the outer edge of your new garage wall) need to be

on your
land - so it's important to bottom out these issues.

Yes I must keep the foundations on my side of the boundary. I guess the
council will be able to tell me where the wall is actually placed. I was
thinking if the wall is on my land then that gives me an extra 45mm(got
it right this time ) to put my foundations on.

It seems to me - from the dimensions you have stated, that the internal
width of your garage - particularly where narrowed by the piers - may be
insufficient to get a car in or - at any rate - to open a car door

once it
is in. This all needs calculating very carefully.

I have no plans to put a car in the garage. You’re quite right it’s too
narrow. I intend to use it for more of a store room basically used for
every thing a garage is used for except storing a car.

Over the garage door, you could use a wooden frame covered by ship-lap or
similar. Otherwise, you'd need a lintel with blocks above it.

I don't quite understand about the manhole. Is it going to be

*inside* the
extension? Is it storm or foul (or combined)?

It’s a combined drain. I was intending to put the sealable covers on,
and have a removable panel in the new floor so in the emergency when I
need to access the drains, I can simple remove the floorboards and
access the drains after removing the sealed cover.

Incidentally, getting an
answer as to whether it is public or private may not be

straight-forward -
because many of the records seem to have got lost - in my area at

least - in
the local government reorganisations in the 70's or whenever! [You'll
probably find that if you want to build over it, it's public - but if you
want it unblocking, it's private! g]

I did see it on the computers at the council when I originally checked a
year ago. The project got shelved shortly after that, and is now
returning to life again

Your living accommodation extension will need to satisfy all the latest
building regs with respect to thermal efficiency - which requires a high
standard of thermal insulation. I can't quote any U values off the

top of my
head - but I imagine that you will be required to use insulating

blocks for
the inner layer - and maybe to dry line on the inside of that.

That part I have not looked in to as yet, but i think from a brief look
your right. Just looking for further confirmation , as the regs dont
seems to be exact on the issuse.

While I’m on the subject of building regs, why are some of the PDF
documents scans of paper docs, makes it a complete pain, can't do a
search with acrobat.

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna

Andrew Welham

David Hemmings wrote:

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:17:21 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Andrew Welham" wrote
| The garage will be built in the side entrance and I need it to
| be as wide as possible.

1. It might be very useful or essential to keep external access available to
the back garden - you don't say whether this will be available on the other
side of the house - rather than having to take the lawn mower etc through
the garage and back extension (also for fire brigade to get a ladder up to
back bedrooms). You migth also have to leave a gap between the wall and the
boundary to allow for foundation width, guttering, or maintenance.

2. If there is any possibility that you could have a first floor extension
above the garage at a later date, get the foundations sized and the ground
floor walls built to satisfy building regs for a two-storey building now. It
will add very little to the cost now but make things much easier in the
future. By 'any possibility' I mean whether the position of walls, roof,
windows, makes any sense for the first floor to be extended out to the side,
rather than whether the planners would pass it now. Planning policies can
change. If there is such a possibility, consider that a new bedroom above
the garage might want an en-suite, so put in the ug drain now in preparation
for a soil stack.

Owain

Remember that their are different rquirements if there is living space
above, e.g. jiffy hangers if used must be of the heavy duty variety.
So whilst you would get away with normal jiffys for single storey, you
wouldn;t for living space above. This point is obvioulsy moot if
building the joists into the wall or using a wallplate.

what is recommended for single storey garages, and also single storey
living dwellings

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna

Hugo Nebula

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:29:28 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named
Andrew Welham randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I have a private (I think council not back from Christmas yet)

Councils get Xmas day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day off.

I have a private (I think council not back from Christmas yet) drain
running parallel to the back of my house, with the edge of the man hole
cover being 2680mm from the back of my house (and ending 3200mm from the
back of the house).

Therefore my
back wall of the extension must be between 3200mm & 4500mm away from the
house.

The inspection chamber or manhole will be bigger than the cover. You
need to lift the cover and check the internal dimensions, then add
102mm or 225mm for the walls of the chamber and at least 50mm
clearance between the extension walls and the chamber. Bear in mind
that the chamber will have a footing to it as well, and your wall
footings should be separate from these. If the chamber is staying,
then the closest point of the extension will probably need to be at
least 600mm away from the centre line of the drain (assuming it's not
a Public Sewer and can be built over).

Sod's law says that the original builders covered the drain in about
400-500mm surround of concrete, so be prepared for a lot of hard work
in breaking this out with the end result that you crack the pipe
anyway and have to replace it.

The garage will be built first then the extension, but while I am
thinking about blocks
The last question in this post, should I and can I use the 100mm
concrete blocks for the inside and outside walls of the main extension
which will be going across the back of the house and garage.

I presume you're talking about a cavity wall. If so, then yes,
provided that you insulate the cavity. The wall between the garage
and the extension is classed as an external wall and the amount of
insulation needed will be virtually the same as a fully exposed wall.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this
Owain

"Andrew Welham" wrote
| It seems to me - from the dimensions you have stated, that the
| internal width of your garage - particularly where narrowed by
| the piers - may be insufficient to get a car in or - at any
| rate - to open a car door once it is in. This all needs
| calculating very carefully.
| I have no plans to put a car in the garage. You’re quite right it’s
| too narrow. I intend to use it for more of a store room basically
| used for every thing a garage is used for except storing a car.

Check whether that is acceptable to the planners; even if you have a full
car's length drive in front of the garage they may require 1.5 x or 2 x
off-street parking spaces per household.

| While I’m on the subject of building regs, why are some of the PDF
| documents scans of paper docs, makes it a complete pain, can't do a
| search with acrobat.

because John Prescott can't touch-type.

Owain

Hugo Nebula

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:08:42 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named
Andrew Welham randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Yes I must keep the foundations on my side of the boundary. I guess the
council will be able to tell me where the wall is actually placed.

It's nothing to do with the Council (Building Control or Planning), so
make sure you know exactly where your boundary is.

While I’m on the subject of building regs, why are some of the PDF
documents scans of paper docs, makes it a complete pain, can't do a
search with acrobat.

They only started putting the Approved Documents on as proper PDF
files from (IIRC) 2000. ADs which have not been amended since are
just scans, which makes them huge and next to useless.
--
Hugo Nebula
"The fact that no-one on the internet wants a piece of this
shows you just how far you've strayed from the pack".
Set Square

Andrew Welham wrote:

Are you sure that the brick wall on the remote side of your side

entrance is
450mm (18") thick? What is on the other side? You may be

responsible
for it,

sorry my mistake 45mm i.e. 1 brick wide

I'm still confused! What sort of brick is 45mm wide? Do you mean 4.5"
(~115mm)?

I have no plans to put a car in the garage. You’re quite right it’s
too narrow. I intend to use it for more of a store room basically
used for every thing a garage is used for except storing a car.

Have you considered the effect on the resale value of the house of having a
garage which isn't a garage?

It’s a combined drain. I was intending to put the sealable covers on,
and have a removable panel in the new floor so in the emergency when I
need to access the drains, I can simple remove the floorboards and
access the drains after removing the sealed cover.

I wouldn't fancy that inside *my* house! Is there any possibilty of
re-routing the drain away from the extended property? [Also see Hugo's
comments on necessary clearances].
There was a long thread about sealed inspection chambers inside houses a
month or two ago - it might make interesting reading!

That part I have not looked in to as yet, but i think from a brief
look your right. Just looking for further confirmation , as the regs
dont seems to be exact on the issuse.

I think that the regs are written in terms of the overall U values to be
achieved, rather than telling you what materials to use. But in practice
there are only certain combinations of materials/construction methods which
will meet the regs. I'm sure that your local BCO will provide some helpful
advice if asked.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andrew Welham

Owain wrote:
"Andrew Welham" wrote
| It seems to me - from the dimensions you have stated, that the
| internal width of your garage - particularly where narrowed by
| the piers - may be insufficient to get a car in or - at any
| rate - to open a car door once it is in. This all needs
| calculating very carefully.
| I have no plans to put a car in the garage. You’re quite right it’s
| too narrow. I intend to use it for more of a store room basically
| used for every thing a garage is used for except storing a car.

Check whether that is acceptable to the planners; even if you have a full
car's length drive in front of the garage they may require 1.5 x or 2 x
off-street parking spaces per household.

This should not be a problem as I can currently fit 2 cars in my front
driveway, and another 1 or 2 where the garage will be. Plus I’m going to
remodel the front garden to make it easier to get the cars in and out. I
need to do this any way, but it has to be done before I start to build
(once I get planning permission).

| While I’m on the subject of building regs, why are some of the PDF
| documents scans of paper docs, makes it a complete pain, can't do a
| search with acrobat.

because John Prescott can't touch-type.

: )

Owain

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna

Andrew Welham

Set Square wrote:

Andrew Welham wrote:

Are you sure that the brick wall on the remote side of your side

entrance is
450mm (18") thick? What is on the other side? You may be

responsible
for it,

sorry my mistake 45mm i.e. 1 brick wide

I'm still confused! What sort of brick is 45mm wide? Do you mean 4.5"
(~115mm)?

Third Time lucky yes your currect, when i was measuring i was working in
cm, just read the wrong part of the tape sorry .....

I have no plans to put a car in the garage. You’re quite right it’s
too narrow. I intend to use it for more of a store room basically
used for every thing a garage is used for except storing a car.

Have you considered the effect on the resale value of the house of having a
garage which isn't a garage?

To be honest no, as I have no plans to move, when this house was
purchased, I planned to raise a family here and not to resell the
property. Plus how may people actually park a car in a garage these
days, most people I know park on the drive way, I will have room for
cars plus a garden once this is done. Still a very valid point and one
to be considered

It’s a combined drain. I was intending to put the sealable covers on,
and have a removable panel in the new floor so in the emergency when I
need to access the drains, I can simple remove the floorboards and
access the drains after removing the sealed cover.

I wouldn't fancy that inside *my* house! Is there any possibilty of
re-routing the drain away from the extended property? [Also see Hugo's
comments on necessary clearances].
There was a long thread about sealed inspection chambers inside houses a
month or two ago - it might make interesting reading!

I did reconsider this, however the drains run along the back of all the
houses in my part of the street. So the entire drain could not e
rerouted, however the man hole cover could be(did not think of that) , I
will have a think and also read the articles your talking about.

That part I have not looked in to as yet, but i think from a brief
look your right. Just looking for further confirmation , as the regs
dont seems to be exact on the issuse.

I think that the regs are written in terms of the overall U values to be
achieved, rather than telling you what materials to use. But in practice
there are only certain combinations of materials/construction methods which
will meet the regs. I'm sure that your local BCO will provide some helpful
advice if asked.

Thanks I am planning on talking to the BCO, but would like to have as
much info as I can first, to save looking like a complete idiot
I have also spoken to a few builders merchants and will pick up some
booklets with their recommendation of the blocks to use so I can meet
the over all U values.

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna

Andrew Welham

Hugo Nebula wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:29:28 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named
Andrew Welham randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I have a private (I think council not back from Christmas yet)

Councils get Xmas day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day off.

They still were not answering their phones on the day after new years day.

[...]

Thanks looks like I have some unexpected work ahead of me. I will also
read the thread on internal drains I heard was running earlier.