Peter Bull

Default Storage of power tools

I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.
Peter

Andy Hall

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:23:06 +0000 (UTC), Peter Bull
wrote:

I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.
Peter

Large pull out drawers on slides under the wall benches. I make slot
together inserts out of ply for them, each taking a tool.
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Soup

Peter Bull wrote:
I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.
Peter

I got plastic storage boxes(with handles and extra storage) from a local
shed.
I use one each per tool, buy them (or something similar) when I buy the
tool so do not notice (so much) the expense.
Obviously you don't have to purchase the box and the tool from the same
"place".

Or you could try this :-

Yours S.
addy not usable (not that you would try it)
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!
www.killies.co.uk/forums/index.php

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.
Peter

Large pull out drawers on slides under the wall benches. I make slot
together inserts out of ply for them, each taking a tool.

I bpuld some racking from rapid racking, and since my attic now boasts a
ladder and lighting, up went teh racks, and so did the power tools.

They are not in daily use. I tend to grab the ones I need for a specific
job, and then do the big clearup of mess and tools.

I don't have a workshop as such except for toy planes...

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Rob

"Peter Bull" wrote in message
I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.
Peter

Peter

Hopefully this is something like you are after. I have made a double
shelved version of this and it works really well. (I have no link to the
company - I just did a Google search after I couldn't remember where I had
originally seen the idea, plus the plans on the site are free (if not overly
detailed)).

http://emporiumindonesia.com/index.h....htm~mainFrame

Below is the text from the site:
A portable power tools storage shelves plan from Emporium Indonesia
Furniture. Store your power tools with this simple do it yourself shelves
plan.
As well as allowing for storage for the tools, this simple shelves system
will keep the power cords of your tools from getting tangled up. The
compartments of the shelves are formed by a number of dividers that fit
between the top shelf and back panel of the power tools shelves. Each power
cord fits in a separate compartment directly below the tools. The location
of the dividers is determined by the amount of space your tools require.

1. Cut a scrap panel of MDF or timber for the top, a sheet of ply for the
back and short pieces of timber for dividers. The length of the shelf and
number of dividers will depend on how many power tools you wish to store.

2. Nail the shelf and divider assembly together. Glue can be used for added
strength if desired. Nail on the ply back panel.

3. For any of the power tools with trimming blades, etc., cut out a slot for
each in the top of the shelf to allow for this. The power tools will then
rest flat on top of the shelf.

4. A jigsaw blade, for example, will sit in the hole made by using a spade
bit. Circular saws will rest with the blade guard in the closed position.
Form a slot to accommodate this by drilling out two spade bit holes, marked
out at either end of the intended slot and completing cutting out using a
jigsaw.

5. Your power tools can now be placed on top of the shelf, while the cords
to each of the tools can be coiled up and left underneath. In this example,
the shelf unit accommodates 6 power tools.

Andy Dingley

wrote:

I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted,

Metal boxes. Ammo boxes if they're the right size, or Screwfix's red
metal ones.

I also have lots of my power tools in the "wrong" maker's box.
Particularly for things like angle grinders with lots of spare disks
to carry, I find myself moving them all along by one to get a box
that's of usable size.
--
Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.
ANt

Peter Bull wrote in message ...
I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.
Peter

I keep my workshop spotless by storing all my power tools under the
kitchen table whilst I have a job in house in progress...so for the
last 4 years :-)
Ant.
N. Thornton

Peter Bull wrote in message ...
I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.
Peter

In no particular order:

cardboard boxes, stacked. - free, can be wallpapered
plastic boxes, stacked - dont last well
dexion shelving - looks industrial
hooks on walls - very space inefficient
cheap used chipboard drawer units
under the bed
lying about the house van or car - not really recommended, popular option though
nice wardrobe fited out with hooks and trays
wooden diy shelving units - fit any space, cheap and easy
outdoor tool store or shed - too much stuff gets damaged by damp
loft - inconvenient

etc

Regards, NT
norm

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:01:00 GMT, "Soup" wrote:

I got plastic storage boxes(with handles and extra storage) from a local
shed.

They have some rather nice Stanley ones in Homebase at the moment for
£2.99

Niall

wrote:

I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.

I mostly use the plastic cases the things came in, when the plastic
"hinges" and "catches" snap off I pop rivet proper replacements on.
Such cases are often discarded by others and can be used when repaired
for kit which came in a cardboard box.
Another method is to take the original cardboard box and cover it in
Gaffa tape.

--
Niall

dg

My dad has made a nice angled shelf with recesses/holes cut out to suit
specific tools, and a slot for plug and cord storage. It is designed to
receive the tool naturally as you would hold it when reaching to pick it up
or put it back. It works a treat but is just too organised for me. He can
also see when anyone has 'borrowed' one of them

For me, corded tools have their own cases, cordless get thrown into one of
those big Stanley wheeled toolboxes. This is because I manly use them away
from the workbench. If I was workbench based, then they would be to hung on
the wall or something. I also have a empty wheeled case to throw all the
tools I need for a specific job into for easy transportation

I have my 'Thunderbird 2' concept where all tools for any particular job are
stored in large green boxes, and these carousel at the touch of a button. I
don't know if it will ever work though!

dg

"Peter Bull" wrote in message
I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.
Peter

Capitol

If you are prepared to spend a small amount of money, wait some months and
have an Aldi near you. Then when they have their next offer of wooden chests
containing 6 drawers (at about £18? each), buy 3 or 4. The small drawers are
about 12"w x 14"d x 3"h and are all wood construction. By not installing
the drawer bases and adding some corner posts, a variety of depths can be
achieved. These units are castored and are IME just the right height to go
under a workbench, or can be arranged in a workshop in a variety of manners.
They are strong enough to stack if this is required. Be prepared to join the
queue early on the morning that they are offered, because in my local shop,
they sell out in about 5-30 minutes!! BTW Keep the units away from your
wife's sight, or you will likely lose them for one of her requirements!!
(Voice of experience!)
Regards
Capitol

chris French

In message , Peter Bull
writes
I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.

Some of mine live in an old 2 drawer filing cabinet, the rest live in
cases on shelves above
--
Chris French, Leeds
davenpat

"Peter Bull" wrote in message
I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.
Peter

I store mine in large plastic tool boxes that the sheds sell. They are kept
as a collective function. i.e.

'Drill and fill' contains all that I need to drill any hole and fill it with
any screw. Including a range of screws.

'Cutting', has both a circular saw and jig saw, as well as replacement
blades. Along side of this, are my selection of chisels. I must remember to
put a sharpening stone in this one though.

'Smoothing' has all my requirements to finish the surface of what I am
working on. e.g. sander, planes, sandpaper etc.

Works quite well for me, as I can pick up the box for drill and fill,
knowing I have all I need to hang something on the wall.

HTH

Dave

Peter Bull

davenpat wrote:

"Peter Bull" wrote in message
I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.
Peter

I store mine in large plastic tool boxes that the sheds sell. They are kept
**SNIP**
HTH

Dave

"That the sheds sell" ????????

R W

davenpat wrote:
"Peter Bull" wrote in message
I have some well used power tools - drills, sanders, jigsaws etc
whose original boxes have long since rotted, so I just keep
them on my bench. My new years resolution is to keep my
workshop tidy (tidier ?), so I'm after suggestions for their
storage. What do other people do....... make containers
for them, put them on brackets on the wall? All
suggestions gratefully received.
Peter

I store mine in large plastic tool boxes that the sheds sell. They
are kept as a collective function. i.e.

Me too.

'Drill and fill' contains all that I need to drill any hole and fill
it with any screw. Including a range of screws.

'Cutting', has both a circular saw and jig saw, as well as replacement
blades. Along side of this, are my selection of chisels. I must
remember to put a sharpening stone in this one though.

'Smoothing' has all my requirements to finish the surface of what I am
working on. e.g. sander, planes, sandpaper etc.

Now that is a very good idea. Currently I just put stuff in one toolbox,
and when it fills up, buy another one and so on...

I have just stolen your idea )

Barley Twist

lost the thread as to who said this ...

I store mine in large plastic tool boxes that the sheds sell. They
are kept as a collective function. i.e.

'Drill and fill'

'Cutting',

'Smoothing'

I do something similar but the "measuring and marking" is a pain -
it's probably one of the biggest boxes [1] and a pain to cart around
if I only really needed one square and tape measure and a scribe ...

Still - everthing in its place ...

[1] and there's not even room left for the 20 quid rotating laser
level and tripod.
Barley Twist
(Please put out the cats to reply direct)
DAVID HAMM

"Barley Twist" wrote in message
lost the thread as to who said this ...

I store mine in large plastic tool boxes that the sheds sell. They
are kept as a collective function. i.e.

'Drill and fill'

'Cutting',

'Smoothing'

It was me, Dave :-)

I do something similar but the "measuring and marking" is a pain -
it's probably one of the biggest boxes [1] and a pain to cart around
if I only really needed one square and tape measure and a scribe ...

Can you expand on that please? I can't imagine how you could fill a tool box
with that equipment, or have I missed something?

Still - everthing in its place ...

[1] and there's not even room left for the 20 quid rotating laser
level and tripod.

Yer's, but keep it in it's original case. You know it makes sense ;-)

Dave

Bob Eager

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 19:55:40 UTC, "DAVID HAMM"
wrote:

I do something similar but the "measuring and marking" is a pain -
it's probably one of the biggest boxes [1] and a pain to cart around
if I only really needed one square and tape measure and a scribe ...

Can you expand on that please? I can't imagine how you could fill a tool box
with that equipment, or have I missed something?

Must be the theodolite that does it! :-)

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...