andrewpreece

Default Are open fireplaces considered desirable by the average house-buyer?

I like open fires as they are untamed and have character about them
that "living flame" gas fires can never match; they are really a bit like
smoking a pipe, since you're forever fiddling with them, adjusting the
logs and vent etc. For me they are a plus, but I cannot speak for others.
Many people think uPVC is the best thing since sliced bread, but I
think it's ugly and heartless, but I seem to be in a minority. I've never
had
problems with smoke blowing back or a good draw, I guess that depends
the height and situation of your chimney. As for draughts, if you get a wood
stove or inset firebox, both of these have vents which allow more economical
burning and importantly control of draughts when the fire is out of action.

Andy.

"The Q" wrote in message

"Frank Z" wrote in message

I'm doing up a room in my Victorian terraced house.The room used to
have an open fire which was long ago blocked up and plastered over.
I'm thinking of opening it up again. The room has a central heating
radiator on another wall, so the fire isn't needed for heating - it'll
be purely for looks. However I want to add value to the property
rather than tract from it. I'm not sure how the average house-buyer
rates open fireplaces.

What is the concensus? Are open fires liked or disliked?

Personally I can see several disadvantages: draughts coming down the
chimney, ash and soot threatening to mess up the carpet, etc.

Thanks for your opinions.

Frank

We had two open fires (the house originally and 4 plus a range in the
kitchen.)
We found in no wind the fire didn't draw and the smoke blew back in high
wind the fire roared and the heat went up the chiminey. We however wanted

fire as it's a good addition to hugely expensive LPG gas, and we have lots
of trees that need prunning. So we have no fitted a stove, (traditional

box
type) in the living room, which has a large glasss window it works very

well
,is very controllable and heats the kettle when the electricity goes off

in
the winter.
For the "best room" we are going to fit, an inset stove ie a stove that is
built in , it still has an entire steel inner case but has an outer one as
well, between the two air circulates and so most of the heat still flows

out
to the room. dust aand smoke is contained but you still have that nice

warm
fire ...
The Q

chris French

In message , Frank Z
writes

I'm doing up a room in my Victorian terraced house.The room used to
have an open fire which was long ago blocked up and plastered over.
I'm thinking of opening it up again

What is the concensus? Are open fires liked or disliked?

I think in period properties in particular things like this are valued,
in general period features are a positive. Ok this would be a new one,
but done well in the correct period style the house would benefit.

It probably won't add much value to the house, but it will probably
improve it's attractiveness to buyers.

Personally I can see several disadvantages: draughts coming down the
chimney, ash and soot threatening to mess up the carpet, etc.

Drafts are easily dealt with - you can get balloon type things that go
up the chimney
--
Chris French, Leeds
The Q

"Frank Z" wrote in message

[...]

wind the fire roared and the heat went up the chiminey. We however wanted a
fire as it's a good addition to hugely expensive LPG gas, and we have lots
of trees that need prunning. So we have no fitted a stove, (traditional box
type) in the living room, which has a large glasss window it works very well
,is very controllable and heats the kettle when the electricity goes off in
the winter.
For the "best room" we are going to fit, an inset stove ie a stove that is
built in , it still has an entire steel inner case but has an outer one as
well, between the two air circulates and so most of the heat still flows out
to the room. dust aand smoke is contained but you still have that nice warm
fire ...
The Q

Frank Z

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:43:34 +0100, "The Q"
wrote:

"Frank Z" wrote in message

[...]

Oh, yes - that's an idea... Thee was one of those in my parents' house
when I was a boy... made of cast iron, with asbestos panes in the
doors IIRC...

Thanks for the suggestion,

Frank

Toby Sleigh

"andrewpreece" wrote in message
I like open fires as they are untamed and have character about them
that "living flame" gas fires can never match; they are really a bit like
smoking a pipe, since you're forever fiddling with them, adjusting the
logs and vent etc. For me they are a plus, but I cannot speak for others.
Many people think uPVC is the best thing since sliced bread, but I
think it's ugly and heartless, but I seem to be in a minority. Andy.

Andy
You're not alone, I deeply loathe uPVC etc in any period building.
Toby

Frank Z

Thanks to everyone for the input. Do those gas powered imitation coal
fires require a flue?

Frank
Frank Z

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:42:32 +0000 (UTC), "Woodspoiler"
wrote:

B&Q.... I can't imagine *why* they don't need a flue though...

They are specially made for euthenasia clinics in China. B&Q got
a ship load cheap and despite having the instructions translated
free by accosting a Japanese tourist on the underground, not a
single customer has returned one in six months of selling them.

he he! Very good. I did a bit more easearch on them today and it turns
out they comprise a catalytic converter - I guess that means you only
suffocate from lack of oxygen, rather than dying from carbon monoxide
poisoning...

Frank

The Natural Philosopher

Neil wrote:

Definately go for a log fire. Just beware the council! You have to use
smokeless coal in most areas now, which I'm reliably informed only
burns half as hot and costs twice as much. We stick to wood mainly.
However, this create more tar inside the chimney so sweeping once a
year is a must (only about £25 a go).

Also, the way you light it is important. We completed buggered it up
the first few times and ended up with a living room full of smoke,
snow outside and the windows open. It does get a little messy with all
the ash and the smoke alarm is apt to sound even with a good draw.

But you can't beat it!

A plumbers blowlamp and dry wood - use up all those D-I-Y offcuts - is
the way to light a D-I-Y-ers log fire.

:_