DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Internal waste pipes, eg. Bath, shower, sink. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/4255-internal-waste-pipes-eg-bath-shower-sink.html)

Lawrence December 9th 03 11:58 AM

Internal waste pipes, eg. Bath, shower, sink.

Not been very succesfull on searching the newsgroup & FAQ to find out
the regulations on waste pipe plumbing. Any pointers would be
appreciated.

i.e. what sort of traps and whether you can join waste pipes before
the go through the wall to the gulley. When Buidling Control where
here he wanted to see the trap for the bath before signing off on it.

What I doing is a new kitchen and bathroom.

In the kitchen:
I want to connect the kitchen sink and washing machine into one pipe
(40mm) before going through the wall.

In the bathroom:
To join a shower waste and bath waste before going through the wall to
a gulley. For the wash basin I have spotted a toilet coupler that has
a boss on it for a 40mm waste pipe which would reduce the pipework by
4 meteres. The toilet outlet goes straight down and through the
footings to a manhole. The rest will be going to an open gully outside
and then into the waste system.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

[email protected] December 9th 03 01:19 PM

Lawrence wrote:
[...]

Isn't there an issue with waste water 'coming up' a lower waste pipe
if you plumb more than one together before they get to a big waste
pipe? E.g. if you pull the plug out on the bath with a full bath
won't the water come out of the shower waste into the bottom of the
shower as well as running down the drain?

I was hoping to join two wastes in my re-plumbed bathroom (washbasin
and bath) but the above problem suddenly occurred to me and I don't
think I can do it. Unless, of course, one-way valves can be put into
waste pipes.

--
Chris Green )

Jonathan Pearson December 9th 03 01:26 PM

"Lawrence" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure if you'll be able to access these directly but wickes good idea
leaflets are a good place to start

http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz...ges/gil/73.pdf
http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz...ges/gil/74.pdf

and the building regulations can be downloaded from

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/ (follow Building Regulations, then The Building Act
1984 and building regulations, Approved documents)

As your taking about pipe work at 4m, your main problem may be the allowable
pipe lengths. Nevertheless I'm pretty sure that the 1st one in the kitchen
is fine, as you can buy a sink trap which has a connector for the washing
machine.

The second one - not sure. I guess the main problem would be if the bath /
shower were on different elevations, hence water flowing into one or the
other, rather than to waste. Thus as you've got a BCO, better ask him/her.

Jon

Toby December 9th 03 02:31 PM

wrote:
I was hoping to join two wastes in my re-plumbed bathroom (washbasin
and bath) but the above problem suddenly occurred to me and I don't
think I can do it. Unless, of course, one-way valves can be put into
waste pipes.

A running HepVo should work well as a one way valve in this situation.

--
Toby.

Witchy December 10th 03 02:43 PM

On 9 Dec 2003 12:19:31 GMT, wrote:

Isn't there an issue with waste water 'coming up' a lower waste pipe
if you plumb more than one together before they get to a big waste
pipe? E.g. if you pull the plug out on the bath with a full bath
won't the water come out of the shower waste into the bottom of the
shower as well as running down the drain?

I wondered about that too as I was joining the cloakroom sink into the
shower waste, but with the t-piece having a 90 degree corner on it we
don't get that water coming up the shower. I also put in a drop out of
the shower trap so that may be helping matters.

I was hoping to join two wastes in my re-plumbed bathroom (washbasin
and bath) but the above problem suddenly occurred to me and I don't
think I can do it. Unless, of course, one-way valves can be put into
waste pipes.

What I did outside was make sure both pipes have a 90 degree fall on
'em as soon as they leave the house....water'll have to be going some
to get back up those :)
--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Lawrence December 10th 03 05:57 PM

Internal waste pipes, eg. Bath, shower, sink.

Sounds like I will have to talk to BCO as the building reg approved
cocumenst seem to be more focused on large pipes.

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:26:41 -0000, "Jonathan Pearson"
wrote:

.. .