morgan

Default Cement mix for rendering external walls in winter.....?

I am going to render the outside perimeter walls of my garden and rear
yard. Because winter is now upon us, should I add anything to a 3
parts sand and 1 part cement mix apart from a little washing up
liquid....?

As always, thanks in advance for your replies.

mogan
Mike Taylor

For rendering it should be done in 2 coats
1st coat I would use a mix aof 75% leighton sharp sand (not river washed
sharp sand ) and 25 % ordinary soft sand. Use this at 3 parts above to 1
part cement. Scratch it well when setting. Top coat just use leighton sharp
in a 3-1 mix with cement. Do Not Use washing up liquid or any other
palsitciser especially in the top coat. You will find that it will rub up a
lot easier without.
If Leighton sharp is not available then a lot of builders merchants have a
special rendering sand. Soft sand will be too fine and not very easy to get
a rubbed up surface

Rick Hughes

"morgan" wrote in message
om...
I am going to render the outside perimeter walls of my garden and rear
yard. Because winter is now upon us, should I add anything to a 3
parts sand and 1 part cement mix apart from a little washing up
liquid....?

As always, thanks in advance for your replies.

2 coats of 4:1:1 Sand : OPC.:Lime

Lime tends to help prevent small cracks forming ' lime self heals' and also
improves workability.

Use Waterproofer mixed in with the water for the first coat, well scratched
up to allow good key to finings coat.

Do not apply if temp is going to drop below 5 degrees.

Rick