Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default moulded plugs

Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it came
with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the worktop, I
had to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the (existing) hole in
the worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded, obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what else
could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 08:52:52 UTC+1, Handsome Jack wrote:
Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it came
with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the worktop, I
had to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the (existing) hole in
the worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded, obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what else
could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

To stop people wiring them up wrongly. I have just fitted 4 LED security lamps and needed to feed 2 core through a brick wall - I have 20 odd old wire up plugs though so had plenty to hand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:
Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it came
with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the worktop, I
had to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the (existing) hole in
the worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded, obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what else
could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

I met exactly that in our Village Hall with a new fridge. I acquires one
of cable outlets, often seen on computer desks, and fitted that in the work
top. The plug fed through that straight to the socket.

At home the washing machine is fed from a fused spur under the worktop. To
close to running water for a socket.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2016 08:44, Handsome Jack wrote:
What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

One doesn't usually have to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Handsome Jack wrote

Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it came
with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the worktop, I had
to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the (existing) hole in the
worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded, obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what else
could I possibly do?

Make a bigger hole where the plug goes thru.

What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually has to cut them off
and replace them?

I've never had to do that and most don't need to do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/26/2016 9:05 AM, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 26/10/2016 08:44, Handsome Jack wrote:
What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

One doesn't usually have to.

Relatively easy to install a socket below the worktop, and a switch
above it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 08:52:52 UTC+1, Handsome Jack wrote:
Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it came
with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the worktop, I
had to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the (existing) hole in
the worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded, obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what else
could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

To stop people wiring them up wrongly.

Its actually because they are much more reliable when moulded.

I have just fitted 4 LED security lamps and needed to feed 2 core through
a brick wall - I have 20 odd old wire up plugs though so had plenty to
hand.

I do it the other way, cut the moulded socket off an extension lead,
feed the cut end thru the hole in the wall and then wire that into
the light or whatever. Easier with some lights than others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Handsome Jack
escribió:

What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

Most well-designed kitchens put a socket under the counter for that
purpose. Sometimes they're inside an adjacent cupboard.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:
Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it came
with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the worktop, I
had to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the (existing) hole in
the worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded, obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what else
could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

Absolutely fine if you've fitted the new plug correctly. But do you end up
doing this with everything that comes with a fitted plug?

--
*I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" posted
In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:
Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it came
with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the worktop, I
had to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the (existing) hole in
the worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded, obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what else
could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

Absolutely fine if you've fitted the new plug correctly.

Is that really so difficult? Uneducated people, some even Brexit-voters,
have been doing it for decades without too many problems.

But do you end up
doing this with everything that comes with a fitted plug?

Only if the appliance is below the worktop (or shelving) and the socket
is above it.

My wife wouldn't like me cutting huge plug-shaped holes in her worktops.
Nor would I.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:

Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it came
with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the worktop, I
had to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the (existing) hole in
the worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded, obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what else
could I possibly do?

Do it the other way round ie remove the back of washing machine,
disconnect the cable from inside, put the cable through the hole,
reconnect inside the machine and replace the back.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Handsome Jack" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" posted
In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:
[...]

But even you should be able to work out how to have sockets
below the worktop if someone was actually stupid enough to
lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think for non earthed equipment the Sony idea is quite good. They mould on
a two pin plug a bit like a shaver plug and quite thin, they then clamp this
inside an obviously custom made 13 amp fused plug top so the wire comes out
of the right place when its screwed down. All one hads to do then is undo
it, push the flat plug down behind the shelf and then refit the 13 amp
adaptor thingy.
Sadly Earthed devices cannot be made this way as american earthed plugs
seem to be round and sstill too big to go through the gap.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Handsome Jack" wrote in message
Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it came
with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the worktop, I had
to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the (existing) hole in the
worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded, obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what else
could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

--
Jack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram wrote:
On 26/10/2016 08:44, Handsome Jack wrote:
What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

One doesn't usually have to.

Hmm, new persona posting ********. Not hard to see a pattern here. See sig.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Handsome Jack
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" posted
In article , Handsome Jack
wrote:
[...]

But you then cover them with a purpose made cover.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just as well items are now supplied with a fitted plug. Can you imagine the
"Facebook Generation" trying to use wire strippers and screwdrivers.

In the days when plugs were brown, it was nice to buy a nice new MK White
plug (extra cost) to fit on a new appliance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn formulated the question :

Just as well items are now supplied with a fitted plug. Can you imagine the
"Facebook Generation" trying to use wire strippers and screwdrivers.

In the days when plugs were brown, it was nice to buy a nice new MK White
plug (extra cost) to fit on a new appliance.

Just a matter of what looks modern and fashionable. Black seems the
fashionable colour at the moment.

Videos, stereos etc. were silver, then black, now silver seems to be
coming back as the 'in' colour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Alan Dawes wrote :
Do it the other way round ie remove the back of washing machine,
disconnect the cable from inside, put the cable through the hole,
reconnect inside the machine and replace the back.

Then pulling the machine out for servicing takes longer. Best solution
is a socket in the appropriate place, second best a short extension
lead, just to get a socket below via a hole in the worktop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/16 08:44, Handsome Jack wrote:
What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually has to cut them off
and replace them?

That if one wants to replace them, one needs to cut them off, rather
than just yanking on the cord..

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" posted
In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:
Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it
came with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the
worktop, I had to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the
(existing) hole in the worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded,
obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what
else could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when one
usually has to cut them off and replace them?

Absolutely fine if you've fitted the new plug correctly.

Is that really so difficult? Uneducated people, some even Brexit-voters,
have been doing it for decades without too many problems.

Think you'll find there are plenty around who've never fitted a plug in
their life. All equipment sold for many a year comes with one fitted.
But yes, I see what you mean with Boris.

But do you end up
doing this with everything that comes with a fitted plug?

Only if the appliance is below the worktop (or shelving) and the socket
is above it.

My wife wouldn't like me cutting huge plug-shaped holes in her worktops.
Nor would I.

The obvious way is to have the socket underneath. With an accessible
switch if you must.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I think for non earthed equipment the Sony idea is quite good. They
mould on a two pin plug a bit like a shaver plug and quite thin, they
then clamp this inside an obviously custom made 13 amp fused plug top so
the wire comes out of the right place when its screwed down. All one
hads to do then is undo it, push the flat plug down behind the shelf and
then refit the 13 amp adaptor thingy. Sadly Earthed devices cannot be
made this way as american earthed plugs seem to be round and sstill
too big to go through the gap.

A washing machine when it heats the water is likely to take rather more
current than those plugs can handle.

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
DerbyBorn formulated the question :

Just as well items are now supplied with a fitted plug. Can you imagine the
"Facebook Generation" trying to use wire strippers and screwdrivers.

In the days when plugs were brown, it was nice to buy a nice new MK White
plug (extra cost) to fit on a new appliance.

Just a matter of what looks modern and fashionable. Black seems the
fashionable colour at the moment.

Videos, stereos etc. were silver, then black, now silver seems to be
coming back as the 'in' colour.

So my 1980's Sharp HiFi is coming back into fashion? ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
DerbyBorn formulated the question :

Just as well items are now supplied with a fitted plug. Can you
imagine the "Facebook Generation" trying to use wire strippers and
screwdrivers.

In the days when plugs were brown, it was nice to buy a nice new MK
White plug (extra cost) to fit on a new appliance.

Just a matter of what looks modern and fashionable. Black seems the
fashionable colour at the moment.

Videos, stereos etc. were silver, then black, now silver seems to be
coming back as the 'in' colour.

So my 1980's Sharp HiFi is coming back into fashion? ;-)

But what about Quad beige? ;-)

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Oct 2016 08:44, Handsome Jack wrote:
Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it came
with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the worktop, I
had to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the (existing) hole in
the worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded, obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what else
could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?
You could as easily disconnected and reconnected the other end of the lead in all probability,

--
Flying on Per Ardua ad Astra

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Oct 2016, Mike Tomlinson grunted:

Most well-designed kitchens put a socket under the counter for that
purpose. Sometimes they're inside an adjacent cupboard.

Inside a cupboard being preferable as far as I'm concerned, as in the event
of a problem with the appliance it enables the socket to be switched off
without having to move or touch said appliance (which might be desirable if
its flooding or on fire or something). Also enable easy changing of fuses
in the plug.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 09:29:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Its actually because they are much more reliable when moulded.

I have just fitted 4 LED security lamps and needed to feed 2 core through
a brick wall - I have 20 odd old wire up plugs though so had plenty to
hand.

I do it the other way, cut the moulded socket off an extension lead,
feed the cut end thru the hole in the wall and then wire that into
the light or whatever. Easier with some lights than others.

These lights only come with about 1ft of three way, so you have to drill a foot long hole in the exterior bricks and feed two core in from inside, fit a plug and find the nearest indoor socket.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvtPqEOXYAEybSS.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Oct 2016, Handsome Jack grunted:

"Dave Plowman (News)" posted
In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:

else could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when
one usually has to cut them off and replace them?

Absolutely fine if you've fitted the new plug correctly.

Is that really so difficult? Uneducated people, some even
Brexit-voters, have been doing it for decades without too many
problems.

That's debatable, to say the least. The vast majority of electrical fires
are down to appliances rather than fixed wiring, and you can bet that
historically a huge number of those are attributable to dodgy plugs.

Quite apart from loose screws, shorts, severed strands of wire, missing
cable clamps, interchanged L/N wires etc, how many average members of the
public ever used to change the 13A fuse which was supplied in their newly
purchased plug to match the appliance they bought it for?

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
Lobster escribió:

how many average members of the
public ever used to change the 13A fuse which was supplied in their newly
purchased plug to match the appliance they bought it for?

I did, though suspect I was in a minority

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 09:29:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Its actually because they are much more reliable when moulded.

I have just fitted 4 LED security lamps and needed to feed 2 core
through a brick wall - I have 20 odd old wire up plugs though so
had plenty to hand.

I do it the other way, cut the moulded socket off an extension lead,
feed the cut end thru the hole in the wall and then wire that into
the light or whatever. Easier with some lights than others.

These lights only come with about 1ft of three way, so you have to
drill a foot long hole in the exterior bricks and feed two core in
from inside, fit a plug and find the nearest indoor socket.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvtPqEOXYAEybSS.jpg

Good grief!
http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen1.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster posted

Handsome Jack wrote:

else could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when
one usually has to cut them off and replace them?

Absolutely fine if you've fitted the new plug correctly.

Is that really so difficult? Uneducated people, some even
Brexit-voters, have been doing it for decades without too many
problems.

That's debatable, to say the least. The vast majority of electrical fires
are down to appliances rather than fixed wiring, and you can bet that
historically a huge number of those are attributable to dodgy plugs.

It would be interesting to see authoritative numbers.

Quite apart from loose screws, shorts, severed strands of wire, missing
cable clamps, interchanged L/N wires etc, how many average members of the
public ever used to change the 13A fuse which was supplied in their newly
purchased plug to match the appliance they bought it for?

People didn't generally used to buy plugs. They bought appliances with
plugs already fitted, with the correct fuse in them. But they were good
plugs, not the moulded rubbish we get today.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote

Just as well items are now supplied with a fitted plug. Can you imagine
the "Facebook Generation" trying to use wire strippers and screwdrivers.

I know they can do that fine, one of them just borrowed mine to do that.

And I bought a complete set of screwdrivers at a garage/yard
sale for another and a decent cordless drill at another for
another of the facebook generation.

In the days when plugs were brown, it was nice to buy a nice
new MK White plug (extra cost) to fit on a new appliance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2016 18:32, Handsome Jack wrote:

People didn't generally used to buy plugs. They bought appliances with
plugs already fitted, with the correct fuse in them. But they were good
plugs, not the moulded rubbish we get today.

Are you quite young?

The rules saying appliances had to have a plug fitted came in 1994, and
before that appliances generally didn't have plugs fitted.

Moulded ones will be cheaper and easier for the manufacturer to deal
with, so seem to be the obvious choice.

Granted there may be some crap out there, but I've not had a problem
with things I've bought.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 18:30:56 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 09:29:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Its actually because they are much more reliable when moulded.

I have just fitted 4 LED security lamps and needed to feed 2 core
through a brick wall - I have 20 odd old wire up plugs though so
had plenty to hand.

I do it the other way, cut the moulded socket off an extension lead,
feed the cut end thru the hole in the wall and then wire that into
the light or whatever. Easier with some lights than others.

These lights only come with about 1ft of three way, so you have to
drill a foot long hole in the exterior bricks and feed two core in
from inside, fit a plug and find the nearest indoor socket.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvtPqEOXYAEybSS.jpg

Good grief!
http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen1.jpg

What are you moaning about now?

--
Inoculatte (v): To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George posted
On 26/10/2016 18:32, Handsome Jack wrote:

People didn't generally used to buy plugs. They bought appliances with
plugs already fitted, with the correct fuse in them. But they were good
plugs, not the moulded rubbish we get today.

Are you quite young?

Sixty.

The rules saying appliances had to have a plug fitted came in 1994, and
before that appliances generally didn't have plugs fitted.

Most did. A few didn't.

Moulded ones will be cheaper and easier for the manufacturer to deal
with, so seem to be the obvious choice.

But less cheap and easy for the consumer to deal with.

Granted there may be some crap out there, but I've not had a problem
with things I've bought.

The 'problem' is the one I described in the OP.

--
Jack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 09:29:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Its actually because they are much more reliable when moulded.

I have just fitted 4 LED security lamps and needed to feed 2 core
through a brick wall - I have 20 odd old wire up plugs though so
had plenty to hand.

I do it the other way, cut the moulded socket off an extension
lead, feed the cut end thru the hole in the wall and then wire
that into the light or whatever. Easier with some lights than
others.

These lights only come with about 1ft of three way, so you have to
drill a foot long hole in the exterior bricks and feed two core in
from inside, fit a plug and find the nearest indoor socket.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvtPqEOXYAEybSS.jpg

Good grief!
http://www.swldxer.co.uk/kitchen1.jpg

What are you moaning about now?

Moaning?
The electrical mess on the wall is only acceptable to a pikey/cyclist or a
skint person with a 30 year old kitchen.
Guess all of the above fits you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

The point of the socket he fitted is to provide power. It presumably does this job perfectly. It's not a bloody ornament.

--
What do you call kinky sex with chocolate?
S&M&M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote

Its actually because they are much more reliable when moulded.

I have just fitted 4 LED security lamps and needed to feed 2 core
through
a brick wall - I have 20 odd old wire up plugs though so had plenty to
hand.

I do it the other way, cut the moulded socket off an extension lead,
feed the cut end thru the hole in the wall and then wire that into
the light or whatever. Easier with some lights than others.

These lights only come with about 1ft of three way,

Yeah, that's the other reason I usually cut that off and
replace it with a much longer one that I get by cutting
the moulded socket off an extension cord and using the
extension cord cut to the right length for the replacement.

Main trouble with that approach is that it is hardly ever
possible to see how easy it will be to replace the cord
entirely from what you can see on ebay or amazon.

so you have to drill a foot long hole in the exterior bricks and feed
two core in from inside, fit a plug and find the nearest indoor socket.

Like I said, I do it the other way, with a sacrificed extension cord.
That way you dont have that choc block at all, just a cord that
goes into the light or whatever with a moulded plug on the end
and the correct length of cable for the particular installation.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvtPqEOXYAEybSS.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 11:04:45 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Just as well items are now supplied with a fitted plug. Can you imagine the
"Facebook Generation" trying to use wire strippers and screwdrivers.

Every ****ing day and it's not my imagination.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 09:22:29 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 09:29:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Its actually because they are much more reliable when moulded.

I have just fitted 4 LED security lamps and needed to feed 2 core through
a brick wall - I have 20 odd old wire up plugs though so had plenty to
hand.

I do it the other way, cut the moulded socket off an extension lead,
feed the cut end thru the hole in the wall and then wire that into
the light or whatever. Easier with some lights than others.

These lights only come with about 1ft of three way, so you have to drill a foot long hole in the exterior bricks and feed two core in from inside, fit a plug and find the nearest indoor socket.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvtPqEOXYAEybSS.jpg

Any close up photos of the final wiring connections? Or did you just
cover that connector block with a pair of knickers?

---