Andy Coleman

Default Possible problem with Worcester 28CDi boiler

Hi,

We had a new central heating system installed just over a year ago but
the tempature of the hot water seems to be variable at different times
of the day and in different parts of the house. For example yesterday
evening the water was probably just better than warm from the tap in
the bathroom but the kitchen tap this morning was reasonaly hot. But
at other times the kitchen tap is not that hot either.

The boiler is a Worcester 28CDi combi.

There is a dial on the front of the boiler which allows for the
tempature of the hot water to be increased, I have put this on max but
it has made no percievable difference. The preasure shown on the dial
is also quite low when there is no demand for water (about 0.5 bar),
but this increases to well over 1 bar when there is demand.

One thought I had is that the boiler only kicks in when the demand
gets to a certain preasure, is it possible to adjust the boiler to
kick in when the demand is not quite so high?

The boiler has allways been like this and I've never realy bothered
too much, it's more of an irritation that at some points the water is
not that hot.

Thanks
Andy
Christian McArdle

We had a new central heating system installed just over a year ago
but the tempature of the hot water seems to be variable at different
times of the day and in different parts of the house.

You might find that when the temperature is cold, it is because the mains
pressure is high and promoting a higher flow rate. Next time the water only
gets tepid, take a container of a known size and time how long it takes to
fill. Post back with the calculated flow rate.

Your combi boiler is capable rising water temperature by 35C at 11.4lpm.
This time of year, your mains are probably around 5C. So, if you get around
11 lpm, the water temperature should be 40C, which is warm, but not exactly
hot. If you expect water at 55C, this is an extra 15C rise, which will drop
the flow rate to around 8 litres per minute. If you draw more water, the
temperature drops. There is nothing that can be done to improve this, except
by replacing the boiler with a much larger model, or installing a hot water
storage system.

As for the pressure gauge, the water in the system will expand considerably
when hot. This would cause a rapid pressure rise, but is absorbed by the
expansion vessel instead. This is usually sized to limit the pressure rise
to around 0.5 bar or less. When cold, the system should be pressurised to 1
bar. So, next time the system is cold, attach the filling loop hose and
increase the pressure to 1 bar. Don't forget to disconnect the hose
afterwards.

Christian.

BillR

Andy Coleman wrote:
[...]

Its water flow that triggers the boiler... not pressure.
AFAIK the flow rate is preset on the flow switch.
The boiler has allways been like this and I've never realy bothered
too much, it's more of an irritation that at some points the water is
not that hot.

My ma-in-law has one of these boilers and the cold pressure of the system
should be 1 bar.
When hers drops to 0.5 bar the operation of the boiler becomes unreliable..

Andy Coleman

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message .net...
As for the pressure gauge, the water in the system will expand considerably
when hot. This would cause a rapid pressure rise, but is absorbed by the
expansion vessel instead. This is usually sized to limit the pressure rise
to around 0.5 bar or less. When cold, the system should be pressurised to 1
bar. So, next time the system is cold, attach the filling loop hose and
increase the pressure to 1 bar. Don't forget to disconnect the hose
afterwards.

Christian.

Chistian,

Thanks for your comments. I suspected much of what you said as it
makes sense. I can easily refill the system to 1 bar, the plumbers
fitted a pipe with two taps under the boiler to make this easier.

Thanks
Andy

Old Baxi WM 531 RS boiler problem David Hearn UK diy 8 December 1st 03 07:58 PM
Hot water problem with my combi boiler Andrew Bainbridge UK diy 1 October 25th 03 11:21 PM
Boiler Problem Gradually Getting Worse Frank Davis UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 11:00 PM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 8th 03 12:26 AM
Worcester combi boiler not always firing Oliver Payne UK diy 4 August 31st 03 07:23 PM