Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Plug socket"

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"? Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

--
I want to lie shipwrecked and comatose
Drinking fresh mango juice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 17:46:49 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"? Isn't that
a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Possibly, but in these days of sexual equality not all vaginas can be assumed to be for cocks.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 18:09:48 +0100, wrote:

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 17:46:49 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"? Isn't that
a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Possibly, but in these days of sexual equality not all vaginas can be assumed to be for cocks.

They're all compatible with them, but the owner may not care for it.

--
Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 17:46:46 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"? Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a bus
station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has more
than one meaning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"? Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a bus
station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has more
than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for me at the bus station.
However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices. Most people would not attempt to insert the plug into their eye socket.
Also you wouldn't say "the train is stopping at the railway station", just "the station". You only need the extra word when there's ambiguity.

--
My wife was hinting about what she wanted for our upcoming anniversary.
She said, "I want something shiny that goes from 0 to 150 in about 3 seconds"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Sep 2016, "James Wilkinson" grunted:

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"?
Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices

But who does say "plug the hoover into the plug socket"?

I might say "I'm just going to order some plug sockets from Screwfix"
though...

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"? Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a bus
station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has more
than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for me at the bus station.
However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices. Most people would not attempt to insert the plug into their eye socket.
Also you wouldn't say "the train is stopping at the railway station", just "the station". You only need the extra word when there's ambiguity.

Actually, they often say 'station stop' which always seems to me
unnecessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"?
Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices

But who does say "plug the hoover into the plug socket"?

I might say "I'm just going to order some plug sockets from Screwfix"
though...

I'd say "electrical sockets". A plug is the opposite of a socket. So you call those socket plugs?

--
A Jesus of mass J travelling at a speed of 27 meters/second collides with a stationary Moses of mass M.
Assuming any elastic deformation is lossless and perfectly reversible, calculate how long it will be until the next Passover.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"? Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a bus
station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has more
than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for me at the bus station.
However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices. Most people would not attempt to insert the plug into their eye socket.
Also you wouldn't say "the train is stopping at the railway station", just "the station". You only need the extra word when there's ambiguity.

Actually, they often say 'station stop' which always seems to me
unnecessary.

I've never heard that. I do find it amusing when a train "terminates" though.

--
If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"?

Because there are other types of socket.

And the plug is often called a plug top too.

Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Nope, nothing like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"? Isn't
that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a bus
station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has more
than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station.
However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices. Most people would
not attempt to insert the plug into their eye socket.
Also you wouldn't say "the train is stopping at the railway station",
just "the station". You only need the extra word when there's
ambiguity.

Actually, they often say 'station stop' which always seems to me
unnecessary.

They're being precise. The train may stop before that, but not at a
station. And you are only meant to board/alight at a station.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"? Isn't
that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a bus
station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has more
than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for me
at the bus station.
However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices.

But not if you tell someone to buy you a plug socket
instead of one of the other sockets like a nut socket.

Most people would not attempt to insert the plug into their eye socket.
Also you wouldn't say "the train is stopping at the railway station", just
"the station". You only need the extra word when there's ambiguity.

And hardly anyone says plug socket when there isnt.

Some do say plug top when plug alone would be enough tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The hint is when the doors don't open.

--
Friends are like condoms: They protect you when things get hard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 22:51:56 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"?
Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices

But who does say "plug the hoover into the plug socket"?

Some twerps do, enough to make it ****ING ANNOYING.

What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead of vacuum.

--
Peter is listening to Eric Clapton - Layla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead of
vacuum.

What I find odd is that a prick like PHucker would start stupid threads with
a question.
Then try to be clever by attempting to shoot down any responses or
suggestions.
When wodney dives in we have another episode of the chuckle brothers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket"
suffices. Most people would not attempt to insert the plug into their
eye socket. Also you wouldn't say "the train is stopping at the
railway station", just "the station". You only need the extra word
when there's ambiguity.

Train Station surely.
We don't call a bus station a roadway station!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead of
vacuum.

Hoover is a trade name - and they did not challenge its mis-use. It is
ridiculous to use terms like Henry Hoover - or Dyson Hoover.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/16 10:42, DerbyBorn wrote:

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket"
suffices. Most people would not attempt to insert the plug into their
eye socket. Also you wouldn't say "the train is stopping at the
railway station", just "the station". You only need the extra word
when there's ambiguity.

Train Station surely.
We don't call a bus station a roadway station!

Thats because other things than buses run on roads

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"?
Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices

But who does say "plug the hoover into the plug socket"?

Some twerps do, enough to make it ****ING ANNOYING.

What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead of vacuum.

and so they should I dyson myslef.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 13:42:59 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

eye socket. Also you wouldn't say "the train is stopping at the
railway station", just "the station". You only need the extra word
when there's ambiguity.

Train Station surely.

Only if you're a Septic.

What state is Newry in ?
https://goo.gl/maps/YNxWLfCZh4C2

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:00:22 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

Train Station surely.

Only if you're a Septic.

What state is Newry in ?
https://goo.gl/maps/YNxWLfCZh4C2

What have that to do with anything? As I said, Septics use it,

What you said is above , ONLY if you're a Septic

As far as I understand septic is a slang word for someone from the
United States, You said only they use it.
I just showed you evidence that it is officially used in a public
place designed for trains to call at a place in the United Kingdom,
not the United States.

we don't.

No matter if this "We" is you and your Pet Goldfish or the whole town
you live in your statement was wrong.

Simples.

Delete that last S and you are describing yourself.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket"
suffices. Most people would not attempt to insert the plug into their
eye socket. Also you wouldn't say "the train is stopping at the
railway station", just "the station". You only need the extra word
when there's ambiguity.

Train Station surely.
We don't call a bus station a roadway station!

Train stations used to be called just "stations", before the advent of US TV
series that everyone copied. There are not enough bus stations in the UK to
cause confusion. Similar effect on common parlance as Australian TV series
that made every sentence sound like a question.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2016 15:58, Dave W wrote:
There are not enough bus stations in the UK to
cause confusion.

Don't know about the actual numbers, but one place I lived had one bus
station, two railway stations and a coach station. Enough to cause
confusion.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"?
Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices

But who does say "plug the hoover into the plug socket"?

Some twerps do, enough to make it ****ING ANNOYING.

What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead of vacuum.

and so they should I dyson myslef.

When you can get the bloody thing to work.

--
"Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics." - Fletcher Knebel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"?
Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices

But who does say "plug the hoover into the plug socket"?

Some twerps do, enough to make it ****ING ANNOYING.

What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead of vacuum.

and so they should I dyson myslef.

A&E is full of people who do that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Yes, "train station" is redundant, really. They'll be saying "foot
pedal" next.

Depends. Station is now used for other than a railway station. Work
station, for example.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 15:58:26 UTC+1, Dave W wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...

[...]

My local is called walthamstow central, underground trains stop there and london overground and buses stop there, we also have walthamstow garage which is where buses stop too, some call it a bus terminus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"?
Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices

But who does say "plug the hoover into the plug socket"?

Some twerps do, enough to make it ****ING ANNOYING.

What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead of vacuum.

and so they should I dyson myslef.

When you can get the bloody thing to work.

Mine do.
You need to plug them in and switch them on too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 10:37:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Yes, "train station" is redundant, really. They'll be saying "foot
pedal" next.

Depends. Station is now used for other than a railway station. Work
station, for example.

But it has been for years anyway, Police Station for over 150 years,
Fire Stations and Ambulance Stations not far behind. Coach station
more recent but still around 80 years.

Train station grates with many but like many terms the US influence
has penetrated too far to reverse, I have heard it suggested that even
in the US it was far from universal with Railroad Depot often being
used in more rural areas.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"?
Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices

But who does say "plug the hoover into the plug socket"?

Some twerps do, enough to make it ****ING ANNOYING.

What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead of vacuum.

and so they should I dyson myslef.

When you can get the bloody thing to work.

Mine do.
You need to plug them in and switch them on too.

I've found that works too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 15:17:48 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Depends. Station is now used for other than a railway station. Work
station, for example.

Train station grates with many but like many terms the US influence
has penetrated too far to reverse...

Just need to be more robust with such people and tell them to eff off,
unless they are bigger than you in which case it's eff off SIR!

I thought I read or heard last year the BBC had directed its staff
that Railway Station should be the preferred term, seems to have made
no difference on the local station, whoops there's another one,
Radio Station around here. The twenty something's have probably grown
up with it but one of the main users of the term is in his fifties.
No point in complaining to him, I never got a reply by suggesting the
Police track Every breathe you Take was a particularly inappropriate
tune to play immediately after a news item about stalking.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 23:20:45 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead of vacuum.

they're wrong, to hoover has become part of the language now.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 17:32:38 +0100, wrote:

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 23:20:45 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead of vacuum.

they're wrong, to hoover has become part of the language now.

Some people are old fashioned, or have some weird belief that the company should not get the benefit of the word. I've heard people saying it's wrong to "Google" something too. Yet almost everybody uses Google as it's the only search engine that works properly.

--
A daughter asked her mother how to spell penis, her mum said you should have asked me last night it was on the tip of my tongue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Why do some people call the thing on the wall a "plug socket"?
Isn't that a bit like saying a "cock vagina"?

Is it not closer to saying 'railway station' to distinguish from a
bus station, police station or electricity substation? 'Socket' has
more than one meaning.

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the socket" suffices

But who does say "plug the hoover into the plug socket"?

Some twerps do, enough to make it ****ING ANNOYING.

What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead of vacuum.

and so they should I dyson myslef.

When you can get the bloody thing to work.

Mine do.
You need to plug them in and switch them on too.

Not when the motor fails, the clutch breaks, the handle falls off.... typical British quality, just like Rover.

--
Cold showers/baths/swimming:
1) Cure Hayfever. Apparently this is due to the strengthening effect on the mucous membranes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But "meet me at the railway station" is required so you don't
wait for
me at the bus station. However "plug the hoover into the
socket" suffices

But who does say "plug the hoover into the plug socket"?

Some twerps do, enough to make it ****ING ANNOYING.

What annoys me is people who correct me for saying hoover instead
of vacuum.

and so they should I dyson myslef.

When you can get the bloody thing to work.

Mine do.
You need to plug them in and switch them on too.

Not when the motor fails, the clutch breaks, the handle falls off....
typical British quality, just like Rover.

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/16 08:17, Bod wrote:

Had our Dyson coming up to 13 years and still works as good as new.

Well that's not a particularly high bar to clear is it?