Whistling Boiler

Old December 1st 03, 07:41 PM
anon

Default Whistling Boiler

My Vokera Excell 80E combi boiler occasionally starts whistling when
the central heating is on. I can stop the whistling instantly by
turning on a hot tap for a couple of seconds. The whistling goes away
but always comes back at some point. Some days it will come back in a
few hours, other days it won't whistle much at all.

Please can you tell me what the problem might be and also what to do
to fix it.
Old December 1st 03, 08:32 PM
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:41:47 +0000, anon wrote:

My Vokera Excell 80E combi boiler occasionally starts whistling when
the central heating is on. I can stop the whistling instantly by
turning on a hot tap for a couple of seconds. The whistling goes away
but always comes back at some point. Some days it will come back in a
few hours, other days it won't whistle much at all.

Please can you tell me what the problem might be and also what to do
to fix it.

Possibly it is some form of 'kettling'. That is localized boiling in the
heat exchanger.

There are various chemicals to add to attempt to cure the effect, only one
of which IMHO is any good that's the boiler silencer gel form Fernox (30
quid a shot).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Old December 1st 03, 10:49 PM
geoff

In message , anon
writes
My Vokera Excell 80E combi boiler occasionally starts whistling when
the central heating is on. I can stop the whistling instantly by
turning on a hot tap for a couple of seconds. The whistling goes away
but always comes back at some point. Some days it will come back in a
few hours, other days it won't whistle much at all.

Please can you tell me what the problem might be and also what to do
to fix it.

Teach it to sing

Sounds like a washer, but could be a range of things. I think you will
have to locate it a bit more precisely. Probably not dangerous (Boom)
--
geoff
Old December 2nd 03, 11:29 AM
Dan delaMare-Lyon

In article , anon wrote:
My Vokera Excell 80E combi boiler occasionally starts whistling when
the central heating is on. I can stop the whistling instantly by
turning on a hot tap for a couple of seconds. The whistling goes away
but always comes back at some point. Some days it will come back in a
few hours, other days it won't whistle much at all.

Please can you tell me what the problem might be and also what to do
to fix it.

Ours does this all the time until it's warmed up. It sounds like a
hurricaine in the kitchen until about 15 mins into a cycle then it
quietnes down. It's been regularly serviced and checked and double
checked - it just does it.

There's a fair bit of noise from the gas influx to start with - but it
clanks and whistles while it gets up to temperature and two separate
engineers have told me this is safe and ok to use....

Might try some of the stuff that Ed suggested tho - was reading about
it...

Cheers
Dan.
Old December 2nd 03, 09:55 PM
Zipadee Doodar

"anon" wrote in message
om...
My Vokera Excell 80E combi boiler occasionally starts whistling when
the central heating is on. I can stop the whistling instantly by
turning on a hot tap for a couple of seconds. The whistling goes away
but always comes back at some point. Some days it will come back in a
few hours, other days it won't whistle much at all.

Please can you tell me what the problem might be and also what to do
to fix it.

It is either bored, or very happy in its work.

Gas boiler service review/advice David Hearn UK diy 1 November 18th 03 04:21 PM
Replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 38 November 12th 03 11:10 PM
Boiling boiler Lazy Beetle UK diy 2 October 28th 03 11:30 AM
Boiler Programmable Thermostat Trips RCD? Rich UK diy 1 September 16th 03 04:23 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM