wiring diagram for consumer unit

Old December 1st 03, 06:03 PM
Carlos Nazoa Ruiz

Default wiring diagram for consumer unit

I have purchased a Wylex consumer unit NHRS204 as an additional
consumer unit which I'm aiming to fit alongside the existing consumer
unit which is an older type with wire fuses.
ThWylex unit is a small consumer unit that comes with a RCD fitted and
space for two MCB. I have bought an MCB which is all I need but the
installation instruction does not show how to wire the box.
Anyone has/knows the wiring diagram for this unit? TIA

Carlos
--

===============================
===============================
Old December 1st 03, 06:45 PM
Christian McArdle

I have bought an MCB which is all I need but the installation
instruction does not show how to wire the box.

I'm afraid that I'm slightly worried by this question. A competent person
should be installing the consumer unit. With this in mind, they are
sufficiently simple not to warrant installation instructions, really.

Also, if such work was occuring, it would be an excellent time to get the
dangerous old wire fusebox replaced by a large modern consumer unit.

Christian.

Old December 2nd 03, 01:04 PM
BillR

Carlos Nazoa Ruiz wrote:
I have purchased a Wylex consumer unit NHRS204 as an additional
consumer unit which I'm aiming to fit alongside the existing consumer
unit which is an older type with wire fuses.

Yuck!
ThWylex unit is a small consumer unit that comes with a RCD fitted and
space for two MCB. I have bought an MCB which is all I need but the
installation instruction does not show how to wire the box.
Anyone has/knows the wiring diagram for this unit? TIA

Carlos

I recently bought two Wylex CUs and they both came with instructions.
Instructions are called "NH range Installation instructions". If you don't
have them I could email you a copy..
However, if you have to ask I would be worried about your competence to do
the job safely as the instructions are pretty obvious...
If your CU only has a RCD and not an isolating switch as well, then its a
shower or garage addon CU.
As such it the live to it must be fed from a mcb/fuse or main switch output
in the main CU.

The mcb you have bought simply clamps onto the busbar at the bottom of the
new CU.
The RCD has live, neutral and earth in from the main CU, live out to the
busbar and a neutral out to a connecting block, which is separate from the
neutral in.

You'd have been better off replacing the main CU with a split load kit CU
from Screwfix, which is what I just did, took me less than one hour to
install...

Old December 15th 03, 01:56 PM
Carlos Nazoa Ruiz

BillR wrote:

Carlos Nazoa Ruiz wrote:
[...]

Bill,

Thanks for the advice. Have now bought and wired in a new consumer unit.
A much better neater solutiong. Ta.

Carlos
--