Andrew McKay

Default Painting the garage floor

About 10 years ago in a different (new) house I used some special
concrete paint bought at Wickes to paint my garage floor - a nice blue
colour (well the Tories were in power, weren't they?).

Anyway, having moved and been in the new house for 8 years now I'm
thinking of painting another garage floor. I'm looking at the paint
available from ScrewFix:

http://tinyurl.com/h5kb

I recall when I did the previous garage floor that I had to apply
something prior to the actual paint, to neutralise the acid in the
concrete or something like that. But I can't remember the details of
what that prep stuff was!

Anyone able to help? Floor is now over 8 years old so presumably has
naturally lost its ability to react.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Bob Minchin

Andrew McKay wrote:

About 10 years ago in a different (new) house I used some special
concrete paint bought at Wickes to paint my garage floor - a nice blue
colour (well the Tories were in power, weren't they?).

Anyway, having moved and been in the new house for 8 years now I'm
thinking of painting another garage floor. I'm looking at the paint
available from ScrewFix:

http://tinyurl.com/h5kb

I recall when I did the previous garage floor that I had to apply
something prior to the actual paint, to neutralise the acid in the
concrete or something like that. But I can't remember the details of
what that prep stuff was!

Anyone able to help? Floor is now over 8 years old so presumably has
naturally lost its ability to react.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

You concrete will be fine by now. Sweep/vacuum it to get rid of as much
dust as poss andthe put a thinned first coat of the screwfix paint (10%
white spirit) will soak in and bold into the surface. one ortwo more coats
will give you a pretty durable surface. if you are planning to give the
floor heavy use/abuse, consider a 2 part epoxy paint. Lots more expensive
but will last better.

Regards

Bob

Andrew McKay

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:29:16 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

I recently painted a warehouse floor with polyurethane paint from
http://www.kpaints.co.uk/floor.html It came in a big plastic tub
(20L) with a "Screwfix Big Stuff" sticker on the side but was a lot
cheaper than Screwfix :-). Very helpful company as well.

The remains of the paint was used on the milkfloat chassis.

Thanks for that - I'll take a look later as I'm just about to get busy
on something else.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Andy Hall

wrote:

I recently painted a warehouse floor with polyurethane paint from
http://www.kpaints.co.uk/floor.html It came in a big plastic tub
(20L) with a "Screwfix Big Stuff" sticker on the side but was a lot
cheaper than Screwfix :-). Very helpful company as well.

The remains of the paint was used on the milkfloat chassis.

Thanks for that - I'll take a look later as I'm just about to get busy
on something else.

Andrew

Another one that you might like to look at is the 2 part epoxy paint
that Max Bone's company, Decorating Direct sells.

I used this to very good effect on my garage floor.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
parish

parish wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
Another one that you might like to look at is the 2 part epoxy paint
that Max Bone's company, Decorating Direct sells.

Can you give an exact URL for that? I went to

Forget it; you used the epoxy, I was looking for the polyurethane.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/Co...loor_Coatings/

and clicking on either "Single Pack Polyurethane Floor Coatings" or "Two
Pack Polyurethane Floor Coatings" takes you to the same page (but
different URLs) and clicking on the picture of the paint can on either
takes you to the same page which doesn't specify whether it's single- or
two-pack.

I used this to very good effect on my garage floor.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 15th 03 11:43 PM
Slate floor sealing.... Andy Hall UK diy 0 July 14th 03 10:48 PM
Old garage needs a clean Davide UK diy 5 July 8th 03 07:50 PM
Floor slab layers & services Toby UK diy 2 July 7th 03 10:53 AM
How to treat a brick floor? DavidD UK diy 4 July 4th 03 06:54 PM