Clive Long,UK

Default Minimum diameter for cooker extractor pipe

Hi,

I am going to be hiring a core drill, 6 inch diameter to "pop" a
ventilator through a wall. While I am hiring the baby my thoughts turn
to "popping" a vent above the cooker extractor that currently blows
back into the kitchen and gives me a cold breeze down my neck.

So, what's the minimum diameter whole I need for the cooker hood
vent? I want to keep the hole as small as possible (2-inch?) since the
rash of holes in the wall due to installation of combination boiler
flues make me worry for the wall's structural integrity.

Clive
BillR

Clive Long,UK wrote:
Hi,

I am going to be hiring a core drill, 6 inch diameter to "pop" a
ventilator through a wall. While I am hiring the baby my thoughts turn
to "popping" a vent above the cooker extractor that currently blows
back into the kitchen and gives me a cold breeze down my neck.

So, what's the minimum diameter whole I need for the cooker hood
vent? I want to keep the hole as small as possible (2-inch?) since the
rash of holes in the wall due to installation of combination boiler
flues make me worry for the wall's structural integrity.

Clive

50mm (2 inch) nothing like big enough. 150mm (6") would be more like it.

Gary

BillR scribbled :
50mm (2 inch) nothing like big enough. 150mm (6") would be more like
it.

My Neff extractor had a 5" (125mm) outlet on top to which I ran 5" flexible
ducting to a vent.

--
Gary
Please remove #NOSPAM# if replying via email

PoP

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:31:29 -0000, "BillR"
wrote:

50mm (2 inch) nothing like big enough. 150mm (6") would be more like it.

Plastic cooker hood venting tube is usually 100mm diameter (a
rectangular section of appropriate dimensions is also available).
You'd normally drill a hole of 110mm or 117mm to put the tube through
- 150mm is going to be rather large!

Not forgetting that when you drill a large hole in brickwork I would
assume it weakens the structure. How much (or little) of a problem
that actually is I wouldn't know - but to be on the safe side I would
always plump for the smallest hole possible, especially if it is a
load bearing wall.

PoP

Bill Gardener

Not forgetting that when you drill a large hole in brickwork I would
assume it weakens the structure.

I would be interested in hearing what the experts think of this as I have
just installed a Bosch cooker hood which required a 150mm hole through the
outside wall.

Does a 150mm hole really affect the walls structural integrity???

Thanks,

Bill

PoP

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:45:01 -0000, "Bill Gardener"
wrote:

I would be interested in hearing what the experts think of this as I have
just installed a Bosch cooker hood which required a 150mm hole through the
outside wall.

Please bear in mind that this isn't something I'm clued up about - I'm
just working on the principle that a "whole" wall without a hole in it
might be a bit stronger than a "whole" wall with a bit missing

Does a 150mm hole really affect the walls structural integrity???

I'm interested to know the answer too!

PoP

BillR

Bill Gardener wrote:
Not forgetting that when you drill a large hole in brickwork I would
assume it weakens the structure.

I would be interested in hearing what the experts think of this as I
have just installed a Bosch cooker hood which required a 150mm hole
through the outside wall.

Does a 150mm hole really affect the walls structural integrity???

Thanks,

Bill

As most kitchen extractor fans require a 150mm hole (as opposed to toilet
fans which are 100mm) I would hope not.
About the same as removing a standard brick?

Clive Long,UK

Bill

My concern is not a single hole in a wall, I'm sure the circular
profile helps distribute the load around the hole, the concern is when
the wall already has 4 x 150 mm core drilled holes within, say, 5
metres of each other

Clive