Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB Dangers

On 30/05/2016 08:50, Brian Gaff wrote:
Don't know about that, I've always thought that inductive chargers are
pretty inefficient, even if driven at high frequencies.
I suppose you could have a bit battery and a cable to your device which
would be safer than a mains connection of any kind.

Brian

Toothbrushes already use an inductive charger - but a proprietary one
that typically has plastic "pin" that fits into the body of the brush. I
don't think the inefficiencies are going to make much difference overall.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/16 08:50, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've always thought that inductive chargers are
pretty inefficient, even if driven at high frequencies.

Actually, they are pretty efficient.
Especially regulating ones

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
How dangerous would it be to use a phone or tablet in the bath whilst it
is connected to a mains-powered USB charger?

Obviously it could be dangerous to the device itself if you drop it into
the water!

Obviously a 5 volt low current supply isn't usually life threatening.

Obviously we have rules about sockets in bathrooms. But a long USB cable
to a socket in another room seems a likely way round that.

But if something is wrong somewhere, such as a mis-wired USB charger,
could there be any appreciable danger?

Is there in future likely to be a bathroom-safe USB socket next to the
shaver and toothbrush socket?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...trying-7417805

http://metro.co.uk/2003/10/29/mobile...-death-380929/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Don't know about that, I've always thought that inductive chargers are
pretty inefficient, even if driven at high frequencies.

Doesn’t matter when charging a phone or a tablet.

I suppose you could have a bit battery and a cable to your device which
would be safer than a mains connection of any kind.

Perfectly possible to design the charger properly so that
it is always completely safe even when something has failed.

polygonum wrote
wrote
There is a very thin barrier between mains and usb output. If it
breaks down you're fried. A great number of noncompliant chargers
exist that have very inadequate insulation. I would not do it.

I assure you it is not my intention to do it! I expect many people do,
though, and it made me wonder. If I did want to, I'd probably think to
use my battery pack USB charger or, preferably, charge before bath, but I
don't want to drown my phone or tablets.

I was also imagining the next generation of shavers and toothbrushes
possibly having USB charging as standard? Or, wireless charging but with
the charging plate being fed by USB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2016 10:00, F Murtz wrote:
polygonum wrote:
How dangerous would it be to use a phone or tablet in the bath whilst it
is connected to a mains-powered USB charger?

Obviously it could be dangerous to the device itself if you drop it into
the water!

Obviously a 5 volt low current supply isn't usually life threatening.

Obviously we have rules about sockets in bathrooms. But a long USB cable
to a socket in another room seems a likely way round that.

But if something is wrong somewhere, such as a mis-wired USB charger,
could there be any appreciable danger?

Is there in future likely to be a bathroom-safe USB socket next to the
shaver and toothbrush socket?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...trying-7417805

http://metro.co.uk/2003/10/29/mobile...-death-380929/

Both of those involve the charger itself - clearly something not to be
done. Relevant but what was in my mind was more the danger even if the
USB lead were maximum length and the charger and socket were in another
room. Or the charger were specially designed for bathroom use (like a
shaver/toothbrush socket) - that is, assuming it is possible to design
one that is safe.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
[...]

No assumption involved, of course it is possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"polygonum" wrote in message

Is there in future likely to be a bathroom-safe USB socket next to the
shaver and toothbrush socket?

Fitted 12 last week.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/2016 15:16, ARW wrote:
"polygonum" wrote in message

Is there in future likely to be a bathroom-safe USB socket next to the
shaver and toothbrush socket?

Fitted 12 last week.

You got a link, Adam?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 May 2016 08:50:07 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
harry wrote
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
polygonum wrote

How dangerous would it be to use a phone or tablet in the
bath whilst it is connected to a mains-powered USB charger?

Not dangerous at all if the charger is designed properly so that no
matter what fails you can ever get any mains voltage on the USB.

Of course even a well designed charger doesn't meet that naive
expectation.

It is possible to do it with a properly designed transformer.
But these seem to be none existent these days.
Expense I suppose.

Harry isn't en electronic engineer.

You dont have a ****ing clue about how to design a USB
charger so that whatever fails it is never a life threatening
problem, even if it is used in a wet area like a bathroom.

Fortunately operations like Apple dont actually
employ fools like you to design their USB chargers.

You may be a waste of space but at least you amuse once a month or 2. I've long since lost count of how many PSUs I've designed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 May 2016 10:15:32 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Perfectly possible to design the charger properly so that
it is always completely safe even when something has failed.

Good chargers aren't quite that good. But designing a charger to stay safe no matter what fails is an impossibly tall order. As anyone with skills in the relevant area knows. Rodney's ignorant child-like assumptions are frankly not very constructive.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/16 14:00, wrote:
On Monday, 30 May 2016 10:15:32 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Perfectly possible to design the charger properly so that it is
always completely safe even when something has failed.

Good chargers aren't quite that good. But designing a charger to stay
safe no matter what fails is an impossibly tall order. As anyone with
skills in the relevant area knows. Rodney's ignorant child-like
assumptions are frankly not very constructive.

Lord. I am going to - if not leap - reluctantly step to to the defense
of wodders. Random monkeys and all that.

The way SMPSUs work, is ultimately by having a high voltage bit and a
low voltage bit and separating them physically. They are bridged by
typically a high frequency ferrite cored transformer, and its possible
to do things that isolate mains from LV almost completely. with several
mm of plastic in between.

The only other linkage needed is some kind of negative feedback to
achieve regulation.

You can, in uncritical applications take that off a third winding on the
transformer, or for more precision use things like optical isolators.

What this means is that there is no chance of mains getting onto the LV
side *due to electronic component failure*. You need to somehow breach
the integrity of the physical insulators inherent in air gaps, plastic
transformer bobbins, or optical isolators.

Dropping the thing into a bathtub will do just that of course.

As will some gross manufacturing defects - I once sawed the top off a
power transistors to find out why it had developed a base emitter dead
short. It it was the only time I ever had such a fault, and on opening
the can it became clear. The base wire had been spot welded within a
micron of the emitter pad, and when it got hot, had expanded and arced
across, and welded itself there.

That was a one in a million chance. To be so close and yet pass cold
testing, to fail in a hot amp in a hot climate..

In the context of USB sockets in bathrooms, they would however certainly
be no worse than an electric shaver socket.

Ex of gross and deliberate assault with a deadly soldering iron a USB
in wall charge point should be mains isolated and completely safe.

NT

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 May 2016 14:21:00 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 31/05/16 14:00, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 30 May 2016 10:15:32 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Perfectly possible to design the charger properly so that it is
always completely safe even when something has failed.

Good chargers aren't quite that good. But designing a charger to stay
safe no matter what fails is an impossibly tall order. As anyone with
skills in the relevant area knows. Rodney's ignorant child-like
assumptions are frankly not very constructive.

Lord. I am going to - if not leap - reluctantly step to to the defense
of wodders. Random monkeys and all that.

Oh dear

[...]

Lets have a reality check now. Any of the following can result in mains appearing on the output:

Transformer insulation failure. In the real world some have the bobbin missing, once in a blue moon one gets wound wrong, or a wire crossing over where it shouldn't etc. Not common with bobbin transformers but it can happen.

Optoisolator failure. Again uncommon, but a big fat voltage spike, which isn't too hard to create, can result in failure here.

Dirt bridging the insulating gaps.

And finally a stray mains wire touching the low v side.

While good design significantly reduces the risk of these, all can and have occurred in the real world.

As will some gross manufacturing defects

they do happen IRL.

That was a one in a million chance. To be so close and yet pass cold
testing, to fail in a hot amp in a hot climate..

I recall watching safety critical components that were failing tests get a pass. Again IRL it does happen.

In the context of USB sockets in bathrooms, they would however certainly
be no worse than an electric shaver socket.

In reality direct mains on output is more common with wallwart size supplies, and the user appliance connected typically provides zero insulation between 5v and user. Mains appliances of course do.

Ex of gross and deliberate assault with a deadly soldering iron a USB
in wall charge point should be mains isolated and completely safe.

Should be? Of course. But it's hard to find much that's completely safe or always as it should be in real life.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

But clearly dont have a ****ing clue about how to do the transformer
so that whatever fails you can never get the mains voltage on the output.

No surprise that the manufacturers with even half a clue like Apple have
never actually been stupid enough to get you to design anything for them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

BULL****.

But designing a charger to stay safe no
matter what fails is an impossibly tall order.

BULL****. It is perfectly possible to do a USB
charger so that whatever fails there will never be
mains voltage on the USB. ALL that is necessary
with the transformer is to use a bobbin that
mechanically separates the coils so that whatever
insulation fails, there is never and electrical
connection between the primary and secondary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 31 May 2016 14:21:00 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 31/05/16 14:00, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 30 May 2016 10:15:32 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Perfectly possible to design the charger properly so that it is
always completely safe even when something has failed.

Good chargers aren't quite that good. But designing a charger to stay
safe no matter what fails is an impossibly tall order. As anyone with
skills in the relevant area knows. Rodney's ignorant child-like
assumptions are frankly not very constructive.

Lord. I am going to - if not leap - reluctantly step to to the defense
of wodders. Random monkeys and all that.

Oh dear

Oh cheep in your case.

[...]

Not when there are multiple levels of insulation,
the bobbin, the insulation on the wire of the coils.

In the real world some have the bobbin missing,

Trivial to ensure that those are caught in the quality control.

once in a blue moon one gets wound wrong,

Trivial to ensure that those are caught in the quality control.

or a wire crossing over where it shouldn't etc.

Trivial to ensure that those are caught in the quality control.

Not common with bobbin transformers but it can happen.

And trivial to catch in the quality control.

Optoisolator failure.

Trivial to design those so they fail safe and
dont end up with the mains getting to the USB.

Again uncommon, but a big fat voltage spike, which
isn't too hard to create, can result in failure here.

Trivial to design those so they fail safe and
dont end up with the mains getting to the USB.

Dirt bridging the insulating gaps.

Trivial to ensure that dirt can't get in.

And finally a stray mains wire touching the low v side.

Trivial to design it so that there are no wires long enough
to do that if they do come off what they are attached to.

While good design significantly reduces the risk of
these, all can and have occurred in the real world.

Trivial to ensure that when that does happen
you STILL dont get mains on the USB.

As will some gross manufacturing defects

they do happen IRL.

And trivial to ensure that those get caught by quality control.

That was a one in a million chance. To be so close and
yet pass cold testing, to fail in a hot amp in a hot climate..

I recall watching safety critical components that were
failing tests get a pass. Again IRL it does happen.

Trivial to ensure that when that happens it fails safe.

In the context of USB sockets in bathrooms, they would
however certainly be no worse than an electric shaver socket.

In reality direct mains on output is more
common with wallwart size supplies,

Only because ****wits like you dont use
proper bobbins in the transformer.

and the user appliance connected typically provides zero
insulation between 5v and user. Mains appliances of course do.

Another lie.

Ex of gross and deliberate assault with a deadly soldering iron a USB
in wall charge point should be mains isolated and completely safe.

Should be? Of course. But it's hard to find much that's
completely safe or always as it should be in real life.

Pigs arse it is, just use those produced by
the manufacturers with a clue like Apple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 May 2016 23:45:16 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

Welcome back to the retarded morons' corner of the killfile.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
9pl 9pl is offline

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

9pl wrote:

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Have I heard that somewhere before? :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 09:16:17 UTC+1, wrote:
9pl wrote:

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Have I heard that somewhere before? :-)

The only one that's ever tried it is wodney.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
9pl 9pl is offline

On 2016-05-31, 9pl wrote:

[139 lines snipped]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

FFS learn to snip.

Go and **** yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-05-31, 9pl wrote:

[139 lines snipped]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

FFS learn to snip.

Go and **** yourself.

If only Rodney would learn to take his own advice. No-one here wants him around. Nobody.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-05-31, 9pl wrote:

[139 lines snipped]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

FFS learn to snip.

Go and **** yourself.

If only Rodney would learn to take his own advice. No-one here wants him
around. Nobody.

He's too stupid to realise it. Even his takers are getting fewer. Maybe he
uses usenet as write-only.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 30/05/2016 15:16, ARW wrote:
"polygonum" wrote in message

Is there in future likely to be a bathroom-safe USB socket next to the
shaver and toothbrush socket?

Fitted 12 last week.

You got a link, Adam?

These

http://www.anselluk.com/products/APLEDDVRL/p1445

Personally I think they are ****.

Don't ask - it's not the work I want to do - but it is possibly 5 years of
getting paid very well for doing very little.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Jun 2016 19:10:02 +0100, ARW wrote:

Is there in future likely to be a bathroom-safe USB socket next to
the shaver and toothbrush socket?

Fitted 12 last week.

You got a link, Adam?

These

http://www.anselluk.com/products/APLEDDVRL/p1445

Personally I think they are ****.

Don't ask - it's not the work I want to do - but it is possibly 5 years
of getting paid very well for doing very little.

scratches head
Who the flying ****erigar wants to charge USB **** in the bog? Is it just
me who really does not get this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

ARW wrote:

http://www.anselluk.com/products/APLEDDVRL/p1445

Presumably the USB side is fed from the isolating transformer?

Who the flying ****erigar wants to charge USB **** in the bog? Is it just
me who really does not get this?

Sounds like a beats-as-it-sweeps-as-it-cleans device for e.g. student
rooms with a sink in the corner, a remotely switched light, a razor
point and a USB charger ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2016 19:10, ARW wrote:
"polygonum" wrote in message
On 30/05/2016 15:16, ARW wrote:
"polygonum" wrote in message

Is there in future likely to be a bathroom-safe USB socket next to the
shaver and toothbrush socket?

Fitted 12 last week.

You got a link, Adam?

These

http://www.anselluk.com/products/APLEDDVRL/p1445

Personally I think they are ****.

Don't ask - it's not the work I want to do - but it is possibly 5 years
of getting paid very well for doing very little.

I agree they look **** and, unless and until someone brings out shavers
and toothbrushes that charge by USB (and I have one or the other), I
wouldn't dream of having one.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
wrote just the puerile ****
any 2 year old could leave for dead after it got done
like a ****ing dinner, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/16 19:48, Jack James Brown wrote:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
wrote just the puerile ****
any 2 year old could leave for dead after it got done
like a ****ing dinner, as always.

Is that you wodders?

Your fly is undone..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/16 19:48, Jack James Brown wrote:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
wrote just the puerile ****
any 2 year old could leave for dead after it got done
like a ****ing dinner, as always.

Is that you wodders?

Your fly is undone..

Jack James Brown LMFAO.
What a tit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote just the puerile ****
any 2 year old could leave for dead after it got done
like a ****ing dinner, as always.

you sound like a 5 year old.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 19:48:34 UTC+1, Jack James Brown wrote:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
tabbypurr wrote just the puerile ****
any 2 year old could leave for dead after it got done
like a ****ing dinner, as always.

you sound like a 5 year old.

Says the gutless ****wit that does what all little kids do, puts its
fingers in its ears, closes its eyes and chants 'nyah nyah, can't hear ya'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 10:18:39 UTC+1, Jack James Brown wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 19:48:34 UTC+1, Jack James Brown wrote:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
tabbypurr wrote just the puerile ****
any 2 year old could leave for dead after it got done
like a ****ing dinner, as always.

you sound like a 5 year old.

Says the gutless ****wit that does what all little kids do, puts its
fingers in its ears, closes its eyes and chants 'nyah nyah, can't hear ya'

you sound like a 5 year old. Again. If you reply it will only confirm this ever further. No-one here is interested in what you have to say.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jack James Brown wrote:

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 1 June 2016 19:48:34 UTC+1, Jack James Brown wrote:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
tabbypurr wrote just the puerile ****
any 2 year old could leave for dead after it got done
like a ****ing dinner, as always.

you sound like a 5 year old.

Says the gutless ****wit that does what all little kids do, puts its
fingers in its ears, closes its eyes and chants 'nyah nyah, can't hear
ya'

You need to ask your therapist about little kids who make up new names for
themselves all the time. Perhaps imaginary friends?

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
tabbypurr wrote just the puerile **** any 2 year
old could leave for dead after it got done like a
****ing dinner, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 19:27:35 UTC+1, Jack James Brown wrote:
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
tabbypurr wrote just the puerile **** any 2 year
old could leave for dead after it got done like a
****ing dinner, as always.

you sure are very persistent at demonstrating your crass immaturity. Keep going