Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT A10 gun

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_...eets_VW_Type_1.
jpg

Very good Harry! I always knew that the A10 (tank buster) fired "rounds
the size of milk bottles" (and at about 4000rpm), but I really hadn't
envisaged the size of the mechanism!

I can't help thinking that the world would be a much better place
(though less interesting for me) if the American arms industry didn't
exist :-(

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote
harry wrote

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg

Very good Harry! I always knew that the A10
(tank buster) fired "rounds the size of milk bottles"

Never seen any 30mm milk bottles.

(and at about 4000rpm), but I really hadn't
envisaged the size of the mechanism!

I can't help thinking that the world would be a much better place (though
less interesting for me) if the American arms industry didn't exist :-(

Could have been rather more 'interesting' for you if the krauts had
prevailed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 10:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Another John wrote
harry wrote

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg

Very good Harry! I always knew that the A10
(tank buster) fired "rounds the size of milk bottles"

Never seen any 30mm milk bottles.

(and at about 4000rpm), but I really hadn't
envisaged the size of the mechanism!

I can't help thinking that the world would be a much better place (though
less interesting for me) if the American arms industry didn't exist :-(

Could have been rather more 'interesting' for you if the krauts had
prevailed.

The Americans didn't win WW2 despite Hollywood.
The Russians did more than the USA by a long stretch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 13:28, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/11/2015 10:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Another John wrote
harry wrote

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg

Very good Harry! I always knew that the A10
(tank buster) fired "rounds the size of milk bottles"

Never seen any 30mm milk bottles.

(and at about 4000rpm), but I really hadn't
envisaged the size of the mechanism!

I can't help thinking that the world would be a much better place
(though
less interesting for me) if the American arms industry didn't exist :-(

Could have been rather more 'interesting' for you if the krauts had
prevailed.

The Americans didn't win WW2 despite Hollywood.
The Russians did more than the USA by a long stretch.

Yeah those Russian battle fleets in the Pacific were awesome, God knows
who'd have stopped the Japs if it wasn't for them.//End of alternative
history lesson.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 November 2015 14:53:10 UTC, Albert Zweistein wrote:
[...]

Learn your history from Hollywood I see.
Wel John Wayne did not win WW2

Russia had around four times the casualties of the remainder of the allies.
They invaded Northern Japan.
(They're still there)

The Brits had a Pacific fleet too.
And our carriers were proof against Kamikaze attack, they had armoured decks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet

In WW2 we had aircraft firing bigger rounds than this. (47 mm) Anti submarine weapon.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...ito_XVIII.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 16:41, harry wrote:
[...]

No **** Sherlock and why should we let the facts get in the way of
patriotic fervour.

Russia had around four times the casualties of the remainder of the allies.
They invaded Northern Japan.
(They're still there)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_War
"The Soviet Union fought two short, undeclared border conflicts with
Japan in 1938 and 1939, then remained neutral until August 1945"
By which time it was pretty well done and dusted.

The Brits had a Pacific fleet too.
And our carriers were proof against Kamikaze attack, they had armoured decks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet

The Japs did a good job of turning our capital ships into submarines
http://combinedfleet.com/battles/Sin...es_and_Repulse
"Three days after Pearl Harbor, the Japanese demonstrated to the Royal
Navy exactly what happens to surface craft who stick their necks out
without friendly air cover. Britain's Force Z, centered on the
battleship Prince of Wales and the battlecruiser Repulse, attempted to
intercept the Japanese amphibious forces off of Malaya. They were
located by planes of several IJN air groups off the eastern coast of the
peninsula, and subjected to multiple attacks, the third of which left
both capital ships sinking. With their demise, the road to Singapore lay
open"

In WW2 we had aircraft firing bigger rounds than this. (47 mm) Anti submarine weapon.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...ito_XVIII.html

Trrrrah ...breaks into a rousing chorus of God save the Queen.
Anyone who thinks WW2 could have been won without the Americans is a
deluded prat.
BTW Oscar Wilde said "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel"
and it's still true to this day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com, Albert
Zweistein wrote:
[...]

However, The Russians (USSR) fought a very bitter war in Europe

[...]

How does that alter the fact that 3 years later Britain had an active
Pacific Fleet. Remember the US lost most of its Pacific Fleet 3 days
previously.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 17:48, charles wrote:
In article . com, Albert
Zweistein wrote:
[...]

And the other allies didn't? Stalin was quite happy to be allied to the
Krauts until attacked.

[...]

US carrier groups were decisive the Pacific theater. This is so well
known I can't be arsed to provide a link.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 18:03, Albert Zweistein wrote:

US carrier groups were decisive the Pacific theater. This is so well
known I can't be arsed to provide a link.

The reader can feel free to insert an 'in' in the above post.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Another John wrote
harry wrote

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._meets_VW_Type
_1.jpg

Very good Harry! I always knew that the A10
(tank buster) fired "rounds the size of milk bottles"

Never seen any 30mm milk bottles.

Yes - my mistake: I should have said "*used* rounds the size of milk
bottles" - the projectile is a 'mere' 30mm calibre .... i.e. about the
calibre of the neck of milk bottle :-) There's a picture on the page
Harry quoted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_...m_GAU-8_Avenge
r_round.jpg

I can't help thinking that the world would be a much better place (though
less interesting for me) if the American arms industry didn't exist :-(

Could have been rather more 'interesting' for you if the krauts had
prevailed.

That was then. This is now.

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/15 17:40, Albert Zweistein wrote:

BTW Oscar Wilde said "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel"
and it's still true to this day.

If he did, he was just repeating what Samuel Johnson had said a hundred
years earlier in 1775.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 18:47, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 26/11/15 17:40, Albert Zweistein wrote:

BTW Oscar Wilde said "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel"
and it's still true to this day.

If he did, he was just repeating what Samuel Johnson had said a hundred
years earlier in 1775.

Well **** me, you're right, all this time I've been giving Oscar props
he may not have deserved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 18:51, Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 26/11/2015 18:47, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 26/11/15 17:40, Albert Zweistein wrote:

BTW Oscar Wilde said "patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel"
and it's still true to this day.

If he did, he was just repeating what Samuel Johnson had said a hundred
years earlier in 1775.

Well **** me, you're right, all this time I've been giving Oscar props
he may not have deserved.

He actually said this "Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" which is
nearly as good. IMHO of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 26/11/2015 10:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Another John wrote
harry wrote

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg

Very good Harry! I always knew that the A10
(tank buster) fired "rounds the size of milk bottles"

Never seen any 30mm milk bottles.

(and at about 4000rpm), but I really hadn't
envisaged the size of the mechanism!

I can't help thinking that the world would be a much better place
(though
less interesting for me) if the American arms industry didn't exist :-(

Could have been rather more 'interesting' for you if the krauts had
prevailed.

The Americans didn't win WW2 despite Hollywood.

It they had decided to stay out of WW2 entirely,
you lot would either have eventually decided
on a truce, or would have been occupied.

The Russians did more than the USA by a long stretch.

But were only able to do that because of the lend
lease stuff that the US provided them. Without that they
wouldn’t have survived to be able to do that stuff later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2015 07:52, harry wrote:
Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg

US A10 tankbuster killed more British troops in Gulf ware than enemy
forces did. Trigger happy US pilots & depleted uranium shells not a
good mix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Thursday, 26 November 2015 14:53:10 UTC, Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 26/11/2015 13:28, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/11/2015 10:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Another John wrote
harry wrote

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg

Very good Harry! I always knew that the A10
(tank buster) fired "rounds the size of milk bottles"

Never seen any 30mm milk bottles.

(and at about 4000rpm), but I really hadn't
envisaged the size of the mechanism!

I can't help thinking that the world would be a much better place
(though
less interesting for me) if the American arms industry didn't exist
:-(

Could have been rather more 'interesting' for you if the krauts had
prevailed.

The Americans didn't win WW2 despite Hollywood.
The Russians did more than the USA by a long stretch.

Yeah those Russian battle fleets in the Pacific were awesome, God knows
who'd have stopped the Japs if it wasn't for them.//End of alternative
history lesson.

Learn your history from Hollywood I see.

We'll see...

Wel John Wayne did not win WW2

Churchill didn't either.

Russia had around four times the
casualties of the remainder of the allies.

Irrelevant to what would have happened to
them if the US had not provided them with a
hell of a lot of material support very early on.

They invaded Northern Japan.

Only after Japan was on its knees militarily.

(They're still there)

The Brits had a Pacific fleet too.

Didn't last very long against the Japs off Malaya.

And our carriers were proof against Kamikaze attack, they had armoured
decks.

Didn't help the Prince of Wales and the Repulse any.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinkin...es_and_Repulse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pacific_Fleet

A fart in the bath compared with what the yanks had.

In WW2 we had aircraft firing bigger rounds
than this. (47 mm) Anti submarine weapon.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles...ito_XVIII.html

But still have sweet **** all in the way of tank killers compared with the
A10s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article . com, Albert
Zweistein wrote:
[...]

But without the yanks wouldn’t have got to do that.

[...]

Which was nothing compared with what the yanks had then.

Remember the US lost most of its Pacific Fleet 3 days previously.

Like hell it did. And their industrial capacity
allowed them to fix that problem quite quickly.

Which is why Churchill cheered Pearl Harbour and proclaimed
that it was only a matter of time till the allies had won WW2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Another John wrote
harry wrote

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg

Very good Harry! I always knew that the A10
(tank buster) fired "rounds the size of milk bottles"

Never seen any 30mm milk bottles.

Yes - my mistake: I should have said "*used* rounds the size of milk
bottles"
- the projectile is a 'mere' 30mm calibre .... i.e. about the calibre of
the neck
of milk bottle :-) There's a picture on the page Harry quoted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_...nger_round.jpg

Yeah, the shells are closer.

I can't help thinking that the world would be a much better place
(though
less interesting for me) if the American arms industry didn't exist :-(

Could have been rather more 'interesting' for you if the krauts had
prevailed.

That was then. This is now.

Without the american arms industry, the first Gulf War wouldn’t have worked
as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonno" wrote in message
dennis@home scribbled

On 26/11/2015 10:47, Rod Speed wrote:
Another John wrote
harry wrote

Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg

Very good Harry! I always knew that the A10
(tank buster) fired "rounds the size of milk bottles"

Never seen any 30mm milk bottles.

(and at about 4000rpm), but I really hadn't
envisaged the size of the mechanism!

I can't help thinking that the world would be a much better place
(though
less interesting for me) if the American arms industry didn't exist
:-(

Could have been rather more 'interesting' for you if the krauts had
prevailed.

The Americans didn't win WW2 despite Hollywood.
The Russians did more than the USA by a long stretch.

Thank **** the yanks did get involved, otherwise we'd have
been facing the Russians over the channel for 30 odd years.

That wouldn't have happened if the yanks hadn't got involved.
The krauts would have done over the russians if the yanks had
not got involved very early on before Pearl Harbour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/15 21:21, Jonno wrote:
The Americans didn't win WW2 despite Hollywood.
The Russians did more than the USA by a long stretch.

Thank **** the yanks did get involved, otherwise we'd have been facing
the Russians over the channel for 30 odd years.

What do you mean 'we'd have been'

WE HAVE been.

What do you think the EU is?

--
the biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/15 23:20, Jonno wrote:
The Natural Philosopher scribbled

On 26/11/15 21:21, Jonno wrote:
The Americans didn't win WW2 despite Hollywood.
The Russians did more than the USA by a long stretch.

Thank **** the yanks did get involved, otherwise we'd have been facing
the Russians over the channel for 30 odd years.

What do you mean 'we'd have been'

WE HAVE been.

What do you think the EU is?

I used to think people were joking when they said inbreeding caused a
lot of problems in your part of the world.

Well I done been as far as Norwich, but I were born of parents from
opposite ends of the ****ry.

--
the biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential
survival, to indulging in navel gazing and faux moral investigations
into what the world ought to be, whilst we fail utterly to deal with
what it actually is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes

Without the american arms industry, the first Gulf War wouldnt have
worked as well.

The Americans think they won every war since time began. They even
celebrate 4th July without realising that was a European war from which
they happened to benefit.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 November 2015 19:28:07 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

Drivel.
The Russians produced the best tank the world had seen and in greatest numbers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 November 2015 07:53:40 UTC, News wrote:
In message , Rod Speed
writes

Without the american arms industry, the first Gulf War wouldn't have
worked as well.

The Americans think they won every war since time began. They even
celebrate 4th July without realising that was a European war from which
they happened to benefit.

--
Graeme

The Yanks have lost every war since WW2.
Oh , I forgot. They done pretty good in Grenada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Grenada
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 November 2015 19:39:57 UTC, rick wrote:
On 26/11/2015 07:52, harry wrote:
Came across this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_..._VW_Type_1.jpg

US A10 tankbuster killed more British troops in Gulf ware than enemy
forces did. Trigger happy US pilots & depleted uranium shells not a
good mix.

And poisoned thousands of civilians.
Brain dead springs to mind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:
[...]

that doesn't negate the supplies delivered, at enormous human cost, by the
Arctic Convoys into Murmansk.

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/15 21:21, Jonno wrote:
The Americans didn't win WW2 despite Hollywood.
The Russians did more than the USA by a long stretch.

Thank **** the yanks did get involved, otherwise we'd have been facing
the Russians over the channel for 30 odd years.

What do you mean 'we'd have been'

WE HAVE been.

What do you think the EU is?

I used to think people were joking when they said inbreeding caused a
lot of problems in your part of the world.

Well I done been as far as Norwich, but I were born of parents from
opposite ends of the ****ry.

Long bike ride to East Angular for yer Dad ?

I was born in Surrey

--
the biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential
survival, to indulging in navel gazing and faux moral investigations
into what the world ought to be, whilst we fail utterly to deal with
what it actually is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Without the american arms industry, the first Gulf War wouldnt have
worked as well.

The Americans think they won every war since time began.

Nope, they dont think they won the Boer War, or Trafalgar, or
Culloden, or Waterloo, or the Punic Wars, or the Crusades either.

They even celebrate 4th July without realising that was a European war
from which they happened to benefit.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2015 08:25, harry wrote:
On Friday, 27 November 2015 07:53:40 UTC, News wrote:
In message , Rod Speed
writes

Without the american arms industry, the first Gulf War wouldn't have
worked as well.

The Americans think they won every war since time began. They even
celebrate 4th July without realising that was a European war from which
they happened to benefit.

The Yanks have lost every war since WW2.

I'm sure Saddam agrees with you as he sits on the Kuwaiti throne. //end
second alternate history lesson.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

And they wouldn't have been able to do that
without the assistance the yanks gave them early
on that ensured that they got to do that later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 27/11/2015 08:25, harry wrote:
On Friday, 27 November 2015 07:53:40 UTC, News wrote:
In message , Rod Speed
writes

Without the american arms industry, the first Gulf War wouldn't have
worked as well.

The Americans think they won every war since time began. They even
celebrate 4th July without realising that was a European war from which
they happened to benefit.

The Yanks have lost every war since WW2.

I'm sure Saddam agrees with you as he sits on the Kuwaiti throne. //end
second alternate history lesson.

they certainly didn't win in VietNam

--
Please note new email address:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
News wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Without the american arms industry, the
first Gulf War wouldn't have worked as well.

The Americans think they won every war since time began.
They even celebrate 4th July without realising that was a
European war from which they happened to benefit.

The Yanks have lost every war since WW2.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

They didn't lose the first Gulf War.

And while you lot would have lost WW1 and WW2
without the yanks, the few you have won since then
are just farts in the bath, just Malaya and the Falklands.

Oh , I forgot. They done pretty good in Grenada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Grenada

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2015 09:38, charles wrote:
In article om,
Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 27/11/2015 08:25, harry wrote:
On Friday, 27 November 2015 07:53:40 UTC, News wrote:
In message , Rod Speed
writes

Without the american arms industry, the first Gulf War wouldn't have
worked as well.

The Americans think they won every war since time began. They even
celebrate 4th July without realising that was a European war from which
they happened to benefit.

The Yanks have lost every war since WW2.

I'm sure Saddam agrees with you as he sits on the Kuwaiti throne. //end
second alternate history lesson.

they certainly didn't win in VietNam

I think you lost the logical connectives there. Harry said *every*.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A Pterasaur impersonating Jonno posted this in uk.d-i-y:

charles scribbled

In article om,
Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 27/11/2015 08:25, harry wrote:
On Friday, 27 November 2015 07:53:40 UTC, News wrote:
In message , Rod Speed
writes

Without the american arms industry, the first Gulf War wouldn't
have worked as well.

The Americans think they won every war since time began. They
even celebrate 4th July without realising that was a European war
from which they happened to benefit.

The Yanks have lost every war since WW2.

I'm sure Saddam agrees with you as he sits on the Kuwaiti throne.
//end second alternate history lesson.

they certainly didn't win in VietNam

Or Iraq and Afganistan.

Which bit of *every* didn't you understand?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Albert Zweistein scribbled

Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 27/11/2015 08:25, harry wrote:
On Friday, 27 November 2015 07:53:40 UTC, News wrote:
In message , Rod Speed
writes

Without the american arms industry, the first Gulf War

wouldn't
have worked as well.

The Americans think they won every war since time began. They
even celebrate 4th July without realising that was a European

war
from which they happened to benefit.

The Yanks have lost every war since WW2.

I'm sure Saddam agrees with you as he sits on the Kuwaiti throne.
//end second alternate history lesson.

they certainly didn't win in VietNam

Or Iraq and Afganistan.

Which bit of *every* didn't you understand?

Depends upon your definition of a war.

Getting desperate huh?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 27/11/2015 08:25, harry wrote:
On Friday, 27 November 2015 07:53:40 UTC, News wrote:
In message , Rod Speed
writes

Without the american arms industry, the first Gulf War

wouldn't
have worked as well.

The Americans think they won every war since time began. They
even celebrate 4th July without realising that was a European

war
from which they happened to benefit.

The Yanks have lost every war since WW2.

I'm sure Saddam agrees with you as he sits on the Kuwaiti throne.
//end second alternate history lesson.

they certainly didn't win in VietNam

Or Iraq and Afganistan.

Which bit of *every* didn't you understand?

Depends upon your definition of a war.

Getting desperate huh?

No. Not that interested in the thread as it happens. I've never been
that arsed when a poster starts point scoring because someone misread
one word out of hundreds. It's the same sort of ******** that ****es me
off when I see a grammar/spelling thread. Thankfully they are few and
far between now.

Um, how can you be not interested and ****ed off at the same time?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-11-27, Albert Zweistein wrote:

[60 lines snipped]

Ahh, a nym-shifter. Definitive evidence of troll-hood. **** off and
die screaming, would you?

Having a bad day today are we?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 November 2015 09:29:50 UTC, Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 27/11/2015 08:25, harry wrote:
On Friday, 27 November 2015 07:53:40 UTC, News wrote:
In message , Rod Speed
writes

Without the american arms industry, the first Gulf War wouldn't have
worked as well.

The Americans think they won every war since time began. They even
celebrate 4th July without realising that was a European war from which
they happened to benefit.

The Yanks have lost every war since WW2.

I'm sure Saddam agrees with you as he sits on the Kuwaiti throne. //end
second alternate history lesson.

You were supposed to find WMDs in Iraq.
Failed.
You were supposed to be bringing democracy
Failed.
You were supposed to be removing terrorists.
Failed.
You killed maybe 200,00 civilians, ruined the lives of millions more.
You poisoned the country with DU.
you ensured that thousand of people would declare jihad.
Failed in Iraq.
Failed in Afghanistan.
Failed in Libya.
Failed in Somalia.
We now have more trouble in these areas than ever before.

Failed to sort out Saudi Arabia where the 11/9 terrorists came from.
Failed in Iran.
Failed in Cuba.