Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Emergency Ward 10

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Bill

And no good ethnic/bad white person storyline. And no bad language.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good
lighting.

I have been watching a few of the earliest episodes of Open All Hours,
from 1976. That is almost 40 years ago, now. I was almost crying with
laughter. So well written and well acted. I knew I enjoyed it first
time around, but had forgotten just how good it really was.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 20:18:32 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

My mother was a nurse and said it was true to life in most ways.

She loved watching it as did many millions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting and
production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear dialogue,
good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Bill

Very depressing though.
I can recall one episode where the lady in the bed asked the nurse:
"Am I going to die"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Bill

How odd that you should bring this up now. Around lunchtime I was
thinking about this serial, in particular I was comparing, in my mind
the theme tune to that of Dr Kildare.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 21:30:41 +0100, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting and
production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear dialogue,
good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Bill

Very depressing though.
I can recall one episode where the lady in the bed asked the nurse:
"Am I going to die"?

The episode I remember was when one of the male protagonists ditched
his conventional stethoscope, in favour of an electronic one he had
cobbled together himself.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good
lighting.

Bill

Very depressing though.
I can recall one episode where the lady in the bed asked the nurse:
"Am I going to die"?

The episode I remember was when one of the male protagonists ditched his
conventional stethoscope, in favour of an electronic one he had cobbled
together himself.

I remmeber the one when they stopped someone hyperventilating using a
paper bag.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2015 22:24, Bob Eager wrote:
I remmeber the one when they stopped someone hyperventilating using a
paper bag.

Standard technique.

But a big tip for a doctor who tells someone to do this: Make sure they
really are hyperventilating and not suffering from something else. (Yes
- I have seen this happen. That doctor did not know what he was doing.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The
acting and production are far superior to any modern programme.

I don't buy that with say Foyle's War.

Good clear dialogue, good acting, no wobbly
cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote
Bill Wright wrote

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good
lighting.

And no good ethnic/bad white person storyline.

Same with Foyle's War.

And no bad language.

Same with Foyle's War.

Not that I care.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme.

Are you sure you weren't watching the movie spinoff, just shown on the
digital Talking Pictures channel? Considerably higher production values
than the TV show.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme.

Are you sure you weren't watching the movie spinoff, just shown on the
digital Talking Pictures channel? Considerably higher production values
than the TV show.

Yes you're right.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 20:20:11 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Bill

And no good ethnic/bad white person storyline. And no bad language.

Bill

Black and white? The film, I mean.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 09:22:27 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Bill Wright wrote
Bill Wright wrote

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good
lighting.

And no good ethnic/bad white person storyline.

Same with Foyle's War.

And no bad language.

Same with Foyle's War.

Not that I care.

Foyle's War is a seething cauldron of sexual intrigue. That detective
has obviously always had the hots for his driver. Those old cars were
very roomy in the back. I had a Wolseley 10.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting and
production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear dialogue,
good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Bill

Very depressing though.
I can recall one episode where the lady in the bed asked the nurse:
"Am I going to die"?

But people in 2015 are still asking the same question. No change there
then.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good
lighting.

Bill

Very depressing though.
I can recall one episode where the lady in the bed asked the nurse:
"Am I going to die"?

The episode I remember was when one of the male protagonists ditched his
conventional stethoscope, in favour of an electronic one he had cobbled
together himself.

I remmeber the one when they stopped someone hyperventilating using a
paper bag.

That is a useful trick that I only found out about AFTER I had had my
first panic attack due to overwork in the 1980s. If you have no paper
bag handy, try breathing into your jacket, or even into your clasped
hands.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Bill

How odd that you should bring this up now. Around lunchtime I was
thinking about this serial, in particular I was comparing, in my mind
the theme tune to that of Dr Kildare.

Anyone remember Dr Cameron and his funny auld nurse with the quavery
voice? "Ooh, Doctor, ye cannae puit your hand down there!"

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 09:20:51 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Bill Wright wrote

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The
acting and production are far superior to any modern programme.

I don't buy that with say Foyle's War.

Good clear dialogue, good acting, no wobbly
cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Trouble with FW is that it is a tad too long. 90 minutes would be
better. They decided it was going to be two hours, but they have to
stretch out the storyline to fill the space.

Mind you, I used to be hooked on Heartbeat.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 01:06:24 +0100, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme.

Are you sure you weren't watching the movie spinoff, just shown on the
digital Talking Pictures channel? Considerably higher production values
than the TV show.

Yes, longer nails holding the sets up.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Bill Wright wrote
Bill Wright wrote

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme.
The acting and production are far superior to any modern
programme. Good clear dialogue, good acting, no wobbly
cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

And no good ethnic/bad white person storyline.

Same with Foyle's War.

And no bad language.

Same with Foyle's War.

Not that I care.

Foyle's War is a seething cauldron of sexual intrigue.

Like hell it is.

That detective has obviously always had the hots for his driver.

Like hell he does. He treat her like he would his daughter.

Those old cars were very roomy in the back. I had a Wolseley 10.

Mate of mine still has two.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 09:20:51 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Bill Wright wrote

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The
acting and production are far superior to any modern programme.

I don't buy that with say Foyle's War.

Good clear dialogue, good acting, no wobbly
cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

Trouble with FW is that it is a tad too long. 90 minutes would be better.

Don't agree, just the right length IMO.

They decided it was going to be two hours, but they
have to stretch out the storyline to fill the space.

They don't stretch out the storyline,
they make episode more complex.

Mind you, I used to be hooked on Heartbeat.

I never was.

I do like Line of Duty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good lighting.

And no good ethnic/bad white person storyline. And no bad language.

Black and white? The film, I mean.

Oddly, the cameras of the day were such that the best picture was
achieved by having all the stuff that was to appear white
actually in yellow.

One of the doctors still broadcasts regularly - "hot rocking"
Desmond Carrington.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes

One of the doctors still broadcasts regularly - "hot rocking"
Desmond Carrington.

Yes indeed. Sunday evening? Catching Desmond Carrington on Radio 2 is
like taking a step back in time. His show really is exactly as the
Light Programme was 50+ years ago, before those pesky pirates upset the
status quo.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

Yes indeed. Sunday evening? Catching Desmond Carrington on Radio 2 is
like taking a step back in time. His show really is exactly as the
Light Programme was 50+ years ago, before those pesky pirates upset the
status quo.

No, Fridays 19:00. His voice does have something of a vibrato
these days, but he is approaching 90 now.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
News wrote:

Yes indeed. Sunday evening? Catching Desmond Carrington on Radio 2 is
like taking a step back in time.

No, Fridays 19:00.

Yes, of course. I caught him when I was driving home on a Friday
evening, a few weeks ago.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/15 07:54, Graham. wrote:
Considerably higher production values
than the TV show.

Yes, longer nails holding the sets up.

ROFLMAO..

--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 06:02:00 +0100, MM wrote:

Foyle's War is a seething cauldron of sexual intrigue. That detective
has obviously always had the hots for his driver.

Who wouldn't have the hots for Honeysuckle...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good
lighting.

Bill

Very depressing though.
I can recall one episode where the lady in the bed asked the nurse:
"Am I going to die"?

The episode I remember was when one of the male protagonists ditched his
conventional stethoscope, in favour of an electronic one he had cobbled
together himself.

I remmeber the one when they stopped someone hyperventilating using a
paper bag.

It is not the recommended treatment today,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good
lighting.

I'd say you are incredibly uncritical. The production values of that sort
of show weren't high. Cheap and cheerful.

Of course that's not to say they didn't have a good story well enough
presented.

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Bert Coules wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme.

Are you sure you weren't watching the movie spinoff, just shown on the
digital Talking Pictures channel? Considerably higher production
values than the TV show.

Yes you're right.

Ah - that explains it.

--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
Trouble with FW is that it is a tad too long. 90 minutes would be
better. They decided it was going to be two hours, but they have to
stretch out the storyline to fill the space.

I don't agree at all. Very little in the way of padding. Oh - and by the
time you remove the ads etc, they are close to 90 minutes long.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Black and white? The film, I mean.

Oddly, the cameras of the day were such that the best picture was
achieved by having all the stuff that was to appear white
actually in yellow.

If you are talking B&W days, blue was more common than yellow for white.
And in early colour days, bright white was still a problem, as the cameras
couldn't handle the contrast ratio. So the white shirts etc wouldn't suit
a proud mum - they were nearer grey.

This was pretty obvious on things like cricket where they couldn't control
what was worn - the whites being invariably 'burnt out' if faces were
exposed correctly.

Modern digital cameras have a far wider possible contrast ratio - actually
larger than the receiver can handle. A decent operator can adjust the high
brightness content without effecting the other parts.

One of the doctors still broadcasts regularly - "hot rocking"
Desmond Carrington.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The
acting and production are far superior to any modern programme.

I don't buy that with say Foyle's War.

If only they didn't show every single vehicle with twin tail lights. ;-)

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 06:02:00 +0100, MM wrote:

Foyle's War is a seething cauldron of sexual intrigue. That detective
has obviously always had the hots for his driver.

He's not the only one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
Foyle's War is a seething cauldron of sexual intrigue. That detective
has obviously always had the hots for his driver.

Think you need to concentrate more. If anything, she has the hots for him.
He looks on her more as a daughter.

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
Trouble with FW is that it is a tad too long. 90 minutes would be
better. They decided it was going to be two hours, but they have to
stretch out the storyline to fill the space.

I don't agree at all. Very little in the way of padding. Oh - and by the
time you remove the ads etc, they are close to 90 minutes long.

Rather ridiculous story lines though. In the wartime series, just about
every secret project of the war was happening in Hastings, if the
stories were to be believed.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Bill Wright wrote:
I've been watching a 50 year-old episode of this programme. The acting
and production are far superior to any modern programme. Good clear
dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct focussing, good
lighting.

Bill

And no good ethnic/bad white person storyline. And no bad language.

Mary Whitehouse would have been wet ater watching that.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes
Bill Wright wrote

I don't buy that with say Foyle's War.
Good clear dialogue, good acting, no wobbly cameras, correct
focussing, good lighting.

Well, having read glowing reviews of Foyle's War here, I have just
watched the first two episodes, via YouTube. Yes, I enjoyed it, and
will watch more.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar cpb insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:
In article ,
MM wrote:
Trouble with FW is that it is a tad too long. 90 minutes would be
better. They decided it was going to be two hours, but they have to
stretch out the storyline to fill the space.

I don't agree at all. Very little in the way of padding. Oh - and by the
time you remove the ads etc, they are close to 90 minutes long.

Rather ridiculous story lines though. In the wartime series, just about
every secret project of the war was happening in Hastings, if the
stories were to be believed.

It's fiction. No different from half the population in the S of England
being murdered in Midsommer.

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?