Junior Member

Default Removing concrete pond

Hi,

I am having problems in trying to remove a concrete pond that was built by the previous owners.

I have drained the pond using a water pump and drilled a number of holes at the bottom of the pond using a jack hammer. I thought this would have meant any remaining water would quickly drain away, instead the remaining water is still there. In some instances I have drilled at least 7 to 8 inches below the concrete and the water just ends up filling the hole I created.

Is this expected? I have little knowledge of landscaping so was hoping for some advice.

I want to completely get rid of the pond and blend it in with the rest of the lawn but am worried this area will get waterlogged without adequate drainage.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sfrazi wrote:
Hi,

I am having problems in trying to remove a concrete pond that was built
by the previous owners.

I have drained the pond using a water pump and drilled a number of holes
at the bottom of the pond using a jack hammer. I thought this would have
meant any remaining water would quickly drain away, instead the
remaining water is still there. In some instances I have drilled at
least 7 to 8 inches below the concrete and the water just ends up
filling the hole I created.

Is this expected? I have little knowledge of landscaping so was hoping
for some advice.

The water table might drop later in the year. But why not just jack
hammer the concrete and take it away, and fill in the hole?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/15 00:49, sfrazi wrote:
Hi,

I am having problems in trying to remove a concrete pond that was built
by the previous owners.

I have drained the pond using a water pump and drilled a number of holes
at the bottom of the pond using a jack hammer. I thought this would have
meant any remaining water would quickly drain away, instead the
remaining water is still there. In some instances I have drilled at
least 7 to 8 inches below the concrete and the water just ends up
filling the hole I created.

Is this expected? I have little knowledge of landscaping so was hoping
for some advice.

Do you have clay in your garden? It sounds like it -

I want to completely get rid of the pond and blend it in with the rest
of the lawn but am worried this area will get waterlogged without
adequate drainage.

It's likely the area will be no worse off than any other part.

My garden is clay about 1-2ft below the surface, and absolutely solid
clay (as in you need to pick at it with a 6ft iron bar) 3-4 ft down.

If that's the case, you could put in a layer of gravel before topsoil
and just let it be a natural sump.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2015 00:49, sfrazi wrote:
Hi,

I am having problems in trying to remove a concrete pond that was built
by the previous owners.

I have drained the pond using a water pump and drilled a number of holes
at the bottom of the pond using a jack hammer. I thought this would have
meant any remaining water would quickly drain away, instead the
remaining water is still there. In some instances I have drilled at
least 7 to 8 inches below the concrete and the water just ends up
filling the hole I created.

Is this expected? I have little knowledge of landscaping so was hoping
for some advice.

Sounds like the water table is about the depth of the pond. I have a
similar problem with my garage pit. I have to siphon/pump the water out
before it is usable. There is an old well 5m away from it.

I want to completely get rid of the pond and blend it in with the rest
of the lawn but am worried this area will get waterlogged without
adequate drainage.

It is possible the pond was put there originally to make a decent
looking garden feature out of an area with inadequate drainage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its very hard to disguise where some concrete structure has been, even if
you fill the hole up and grass it over the way it grows seems to be
different to the rest of the site quite often. Also it tends to change
height over time, sometimes its higher sometimes lower. My late father did
this with some solid features in our garden, you could always tell the
outline of them.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
sfrazi wrote:
Hi,

I am having problems in trying to remove a concrete pond that was built
by the previous owners. I have drained the pond using a water pump and
drilled a number of holes
at the bottom of the pond using a jack hammer. I thought this would have
meant any remaining water would quickly drain away, instead the
remaining water is still there. In some instances I have drilled at
least 7 to 8 inches below the concrete and the water just ends up
filling the hole I created.

Is this expected? I have little knowledge of landscaping so was hoping
for some advice.

The water table might drop later in the year. But why not just jack hammer
the concrete and take it away, and fill in the hole?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2015 00:49, sfrazi wrote:

I have drained the pond using a water pump and drilled a number of holes
at the bottom of the pond using a jack hammer. I thought this would have
meant any remaining water would quickly drain away, instead the
remaining water is still there. In some instances I have drilled at
least 7 to 8 inches below the concrete and the water just ends up
filling the hole I created.

A concrete pond wouldn't simply be built on soft earth or gravel etc the
hole would have to be firmly compacted. Its no wonder the water isn't
draining away.
If you just filled it in then it would get waterlogged over time.
As others have said, if it's clay sub-soil then without the pond there
the hole would fill up.
Can you chop out a slice from the top to the bottom with an angle
grinder? At least you'd get to see where the free draining soil starts
and you'd create a way of the water escaping if you're planning on just
filling it in rather than full demolition.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 1:17:04 AM UTC, sfrazi wrote:
Hi,

I am having problems in trying to remove a concrete pond that was built
by the previous owners.

I have drained the pond using a water pump and drilled a number of holes
at the bottom of the pond using a jack hammer. I thought this would have
meant any remaining water would quickly drain away, instead the
remaining water is still there. In some instances I have drilled at
least 7 to 8 inches below the concrete and the water just ends up
filling the hole I created.

Is this expected? I have little knowledge of landscaping so was hoping
for some advice.

I want to completely get rid of the pond and blend it in with the rest
of the lawn but am worried this area will get waterlogged without
adequate drainage.

Thanks

Break & remove the concrete, and the result will be like the rest of the lawn /if/ its all at the same level. If its low lying, then as someone said the pond was likely put in to make something nice of a waterlogged mess. Another option is land drainage.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2015 08:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its very hard to disguise where some concrete structure has been, even if
you fill the hole up and grass it over the way it grows seems to be
different to the rest of the site quite often. Also it tends to change
height over time, sometimes its higher sometimes lower.My late father did
this with some solid features in our garden, you could always tell the
outline of them.
Brian

While sealed hollow concrete structures do want to float on underground
water and may rely upon the weight of whatever is in them to keep them
in the ground, I suspect that was mainly due to the soil around it
changing volume. Clay is particularly liable to change volume as its
water content changes.

--
Colin Bignell
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrazi View Post
Hi,

I am having problems in trying to remove a concrete pond that was built by the previous owners.

I have drained the pond using a water pump and drilled a number of holes at the bottom of the pond using a jack hammer. I thought this would have meant any remaining water would quickly drain away, instead the remaining water is still there. In some instances I have drilled at least 7 to 8 inches below the concrete and the water just ends up filling the hole I created.

Is this expected? I have little knowledge of landscaping so was hoping for some advice.

I want to completely get rid of the pond and blend it in with the rest of the lawn but am worried this area will get waterlogged without adequate drainage.

Thanks
Could you install a bottom drain to get rid of the water? Not my expertise but i'm familiar with people draining water this way.

concrete pond repair Jonathan UK diy 0 May 9th 14 12:22 PM
Waterproofing masonry wall & concrete floor swimming pond Mehrzad N. Home Repair 3 March 21st 12 11:13 AM
removing concrete stains john abraham Metalworking 0 March 16th 12 05:00 AM
Cleaning concrete pond edges without affecting fish? scorpster Home Repair 6 May 12th 09 02:20 AM
removing concrete roy Home Repair 5 February 12th 06 07:17 PM