Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

Default Barry Bucknall: the Father of DIY

The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

Barry Bucknall?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

Barry Bucknall?

I do.

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 20:55, cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.

Very nearly 100% but it was BucknEll.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 21:00:01 +0000, charles wrote:

In article ,
cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

Barry Bucknall?

The very one, from the subject line!

My dad hardboarded all our doors...

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

My Dad did that!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 9:34:56 PM UTC, soup wrote:
in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

thus preserving them for a future generation to restore them :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 20:55, cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

I've heard of him, but I didn't have a telly in those days!

He certainly didn't "start it all" though. I've been doing DIY since
long before that - late 50's I reckon. I suppose he may have made people
more aware of possibilities.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

Well on the bright side, it actually preserved some decent doors and
prevented them being replaced by eggbox nasties. At least one can pull
the hardboard off.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 20:55, cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

If he is the one with the big yankee driver, then yup - just about.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 20:55, cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

I do, and I think he was a bit before the 70s - 1950s more like - and he
was Barry 'Bucknell'.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cd wrote

The bloke that started it all!

Like hell he did.

I think that was his name. Anyone remember
Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his
hardboard, Formica and Evo-Stick?

My parents were doing DIY decades before
that and so were plenty of others as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 10:12:04 PM UTC, Tim Streater wrote:
My dad hardboarded all our doors...

Why, FFS?

Panelled doors seen as old-fashioned and dust-collectors.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 22:02:10 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 23/11/2014 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

My Dad did that!!!

Only because Barry told him to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 22:12:00 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his
hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

Barry Bucknall?

The very one, from the subject line!

My dad hardboarded all our doors...

Why, FFS?

Because Barry did a programme about modernising the look...

Actually, he did the banisters all down the stairs too. Hardboard both
sides!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

Yes - but easily undone - we had great fund "restoring" our doors.
Hardboard was only panel pinned on and after that we just had to pull
the stops off and re position them.

The hardest bit was dealing with the 1930's "varnish". Turned to toffee
under heat and needed gallons of painstripper. Impossible to sand.

In the end a light sand to key it and overcoat with non-drip gloss
seemed to be the easiest way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 20:55:27 +0000 (UTC), cd wrote:

Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

The man most responsible for tens of thousands of panelled Victorian
doors. Otoh, if he hadn't done that (or rather, inspired (if that's
the word) legions of aspiring DIYers to do that, we'd not have the joy
of finding some ancient doors under hardboard even now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/14 22:12, Tim Streater wrote:

cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his

hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?
Barry Bucknall?

The very one, from the subject line!

My dad hardboarded all our doors...

Why, FFS?

For the same reason so many people are now choosing to install
free-standing baths. Because lots of people like to follow fashion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2014 22:12, Tim Streater wrote:

cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his

hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?
Barry Bucknall?

The very one, from the subject line!

My dad hardboarded all our doors...

Why, FFS?

Cos it went with the stone cladding and the muriels :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his
hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?
Barry Bucknall?

The very one, from the subject line!

My dad hardboarded all our doors...

Why, FFS?

For the same reason so many people are now choosing to install
free-standing baths. Because lots of people like to follow fashion.

What a bloody silly idea they are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his

hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?
Barry Bucknall?

The very one, from the subject line!

My dad hardboarded all our doors...

Why, FFS?

Cos Barry told him to do it ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cd" wrote in message ...
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

Wasn't he the one that demonstrated a kitchen waste disposal unit (unheard
of back then) by dropping a glass bottle in?
F***d it up live on air!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

Or likewise the railings on the staircase!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

Here yah go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RVnzu0COFU

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cd wrote:
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his
hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?
Barry Bucknall?

The very one, from the subject line!

My dad hardboarded all our doors...

Why, FFS?

Cos it went with the stone cladding and the muriels :-)

And a bit later the Artex!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I recall him and others. all these round the house jobs on tv is
certainly not a new thing. It was normally on a sunday morning.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"cd" wrote in message ...
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Cap
writes
On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the time.

What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the time.

What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

I'm not the one to ask, I'm still using lino ! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harryagain wrote:

"soup" wrote in message
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

Or likewise the railings on the staircase!

indeed. We found both when we moved in here in 1977. Oh, and the beamed
ceiling covered over, too.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/14 08:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andy Cap
writes
On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the time.

What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

Rip it up.

Bare floorboards with a rectangle of carpet that stops short of all
sides by 6-12" and does not go into the alcoves.

The boards are either dry and bare, or varnished.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 24, 2014 8:44:15 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes I recall him and others. all these round the house jobs on tv is
certainly not a new thing. It was normally on a sunday morning.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"cd" wrote in message ...
The bloke that started it all! I think that was his name.
Anyone remember Barry on the telly in the early 70s with his hardboard,
Formica and Evo-Stick?

Yes I remember him as well.

Because the programmes were live he had as much material pre-prepared as possible, including setting nails. He told the story about the old dear who went to her timber merchants ans asked for the plywood Barry Bucknell used. When asked for more detail she said the one with the nails in it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/14 21:34, soup wrote:
On 23/11/2014 21:25, DerbyBorn wrote:

in the days when people learned something from watching DIY on TV!

Like how to ruin paneled doors by covering them in hardboard. ;O)

It's called 'fashion' and people act like sheep. It happens all the
time.

What comes after engineered wood floor? Possible house rebuild next year
and I'd like to be in front of the trend:-)

Rip it up.

Bare floorboards with a rectangle of carpet that stops short of all
sides by 6-12" and does not go into the alcoves.

The boards are either dry and bare, or varnished.

Which is what we had back in the 50s and 60s.

www.vulcantothesky.org - keep the last remaining Vulcan flying

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2014 06:34, Andy Cap wrote:

For the same reason so many people are now choosing to install
free-standing baths. Because lots of people like to follow fashion.

The biggest waste of money and space I've seen in years.

www.vulcantothesky.org - keep the last remaining Vulcan flying

Barry Goldwater On The UN jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 7 September 12th 14 04:40 PM
RIP John Barry Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 12 July 24th 09 04:14 AM
Barry Scott Jeßus UK diy 0 March 21st 09 04:20 AM
Barry Scott John Rumm UK diy 1 March 20th 09 05:16 PM