Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Copper pipe - seam???

Never noticed before, but some pipe from my 3 year old stock (BES
sourced IIRC) shows what looks like a seam:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...951939/sizes/l

Curious... I *thought* copper pipe was drawn. Is that a welding seam or
just a mark from drawing.

Anyone au-fait with pipe manufacturing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2014 20:14, Tim Watts wrote:
Never noticed before, but some pipe from my 3 year old stock (BES
sourced IIRC) shows what looks like a seam:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...951939/sizes/l

Curious... I *thought* copper pipe was drawn. Is that a welding seam or
just a mark from drawing.

That just looks like a scratch to me. Is it visible on the inside?

Anyone au-fait with pipe manufacturing?

I assumed it was extruded then drawn to final size.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/14 21:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/10/2014 20:14, Tim Watts wrote:
Never noticed before, but some pipe from my 3 year old stock (BES
sourced IIRC) shows what looks like a seam:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...951939/sizes/l

Curious... I *thought* copper pipe was drawn. Is that a welding seam or
just a mark from drawing.

That just looks like a scratch to me. Is it visible on the inside?

Dunno - I'll have a look tomorrow when I demount it to hole drill the
ceiling... Must be a manufacturing scratch though, because it is
absolutely regular and perfectly straight. Although this is my "stock"
that have been lying around for years, they have been stored nicely in a
box in the corner of a cupboard so I'm pretty sure I didn't cause it...

Better check it in case it might impact the seal on a compression
fitting as there's one going on the bottom end). Got several lenghts -
could relegate this to an all soldered section.

Anyone au-fait with pipe manufacturing?

I assumed it was extruded then drawn to final size.

Me too...

As I say, pretty sure BES supplied so it should not be some dodgey crap
from some dodgey manufacturer. Although another pipe did have some
noticeable pitting, but that could have been really old stuff left over
from the previous stock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/14 21:28, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/10/2014 20:14, Tim Watts wrote:
Never noticed before, but some pipe from my 3 year old stock (BES
sourced IIRC) shows what looks like a seam:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timjwa...951939/sizes/l

Curious... I *thought* copper pipe was drawn. Is that a welding seam or
just a mark from drawing.

That just looks like a scratch to me. Is it visible on the inside?

Not that I can see - there are various "pencil lines" running
longtitudinally - must be just die marks I guess.

The long mark turns out to be 2' long - so yes, must be a manufacturing
scratch. It should miss the compression joint so I'll use that as is...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to John Rumm, PoorerRichard wrote:
We had a three inch copper drain line fail. It just started leaking and it
took opening up the base of the wall structure to remove it. It looked exactly
ad if a deal had failed lengthwise along the bottom. It was under the floor
for more than forty years, but I thought it was good for the life of the
structure. I've also heard that the past few years here on L. I., Copper
fittings and pipes a re pinholing since our water got hard.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...m-1003171-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 April 2020 04:14:05 UTC+1, PoorerRichard wrote:
replying to John Rumm, PoorerRichard wrote:
We had a three inch copper drain line fail. It just started leaking and it
took opening up the base of the wall structure to remove it. It looked exactly
ad if a deal had failed lengthwise along the bottom. It was under the floor
for more than forty years, but I thought it was good for the life of the
structure. I've also heard that the past few years here on L. I., Copper
fittings and pipes a re pinholing since our water got hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select...aching_of_zinc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2020 08:31, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 4 April 2020 04:14:05 UTC+1, PoorerRichard wrote:
replying to John Rumm, PoorerRichard wrote:
We had a three inch copper drain line fail. It just started leaking and it
took opening up the base of the wall structure to remove it. It looked exactly
ad if a deal had failed lengthwise along the bottom. It was under the floor
for more than forty years, but I thought it was good for the life of the
structure. I've also heard that the past few years here on L. I., Copper
fittings and pipes a re pinholing since our water got hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select...aching_of_zinc

There was poor quality copper pipe coming into the country in the late
1970s and early 1980s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 04/04/2020 08:31, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 4 April 2020 04:14:05 UTC+1, PoorerRichard wrote:
replying to John Rumm, PoorerRichard wrote: We had a three inch copper
drain line fail. It just started leaking and it took opening up the
base of the wall structure to remove it. It looked exactly ad if a
deal had failed lengthwise along the bottom. It was under the floor
for more than forty years, but I thought it was good for the life of
the structure. I've also heard that the past few years here on L. I.,
Copper fittings and pipes a re pinholing since our water got hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select...aching_of_zinc

There was poor quality copper pipe coming into the country in the late
1970s and early 1980s.

yes, I must have bought some. About 10 years ago, a pinhole appeared in the
pipe feeding our storage tank.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 04/04/2020 08:31, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 4 April 2020 04:14:05 UTC+1, PoorerRichard wrote:
replying to John Rumm, PoorerRichard wrote:
We had a three inch copper drain line fail. It just started leaking and
it
took opening up the base of the wall structure to remove it. It looked
exactly
ad if a deal had failed lengthwise along the bottom. It was under the
floor
for more than forty years, but I thought it was good for the life of the
structure. I've also heard that the past few years here on L. I., Copper
fittings and pipes a re pinholing since our water got hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select...aching_of_zinc

There was poor quality copper pipe coming into the country in the late
1970s and early 1980s.

And the early 70s too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 20:25:10 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

There was poor quality copper pipe coming into the country in the late
1970s and early 1980s.

And the early 70s too.

Oh, shut your clinically insane gob finally, you useless 86-year-old senile
cretin, asshole and troll!

--
Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2020 08:31, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 4 April 2020 04:14:05 UTC+1, PoorerRichard wrote:
replying to John Rumm, PoorerRichard wrote:
We had a three inch copper drain line fail. It just started leaking and it
took opening up the base of the wall structure to remove it. It looked exactly
ad if a deal had failed lengthwise along the bottom. It was under the floor
for more than forty years, but I thought it was good for the life of the
structure. I've also heard that the past few years here on L. I., Copper
fittings and pipes a re pinholing since our water got hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select...aching_of_zinc

Not much zinc in a copper pipe harry!

(Dezincification is something that can affect brass fittings, but not
copper pipe)

--
Cheers,

John.

flexible copper pipe "plumb sticks" or pipe bending Fred UK diy 24 June 16th 17 10:17 PM
How to Join Galvinized Pipe to Copper Pipe? Tom[_18_] Home Repair 16 August 3rd 08 01:13 PM
copper pipe JP Home Repair 1 October 24th 07 04:13 PM
copper pipe JP Home Repair 0 October 24th 07 03:46 PM
assembling seam on 3" x 6' sheet metal vent pipe John Keith Home Repair 1 November 12th 05 12:24 AM