Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Brad point drills from Wilkinson (Wilko)

I bought two 8mm ones last week and started to use them yesterday with
my dowelling jig They were, of course, cheap. But totally useless. One
was slightly "warped", i.e. it didn't rotate true. And neither one was
any good at actually penetrating soft pine. I had to switch to using a
standard twist drill that has been used several times, so wasn't new.
Also, the wood wasn't knotted.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with drills from Wilko? I'm
currently thinking of ordering a De Walt product in the hope that this
will be better.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 20, 2014 10:18:07 AM UTC+1, MM wrote:

I bought two 8mm ones last week and started to use them yesterday with
my dowelling jig They were, of course, cheap. But totally useless. One
was slightly "warped", i.e. it didn't rotate true. And neither one was
any good at actually penetrating soft pine. I had to switch to using a
standard twist drill that has been used several times, so wasn't new.
Also, the wood wasn't knotted.
Has anyone else had a bad experience with drills from Wilko? I'm
currently thinking of ordering a De Walt product in the hope that this
will be better.
MM

The 99p stores ones are unreassuringly cheap but work.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
I bought two 8mm ones last week and started to use them yesterday with
my dowelling jig They were, of course, cheap. But totally useless. One
was slightly "warped", i.e. it didn't rotate true. And neither one was
any good at actually penetrating soft pine. I had to switch to using a
standard twist drill that has been used several times, so wasn't new.
Also, the wood wasn't knotted.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with drills from Wilko? I'm
currently thinking of ordering a De Walt product in the hope that this
will be better.

MM

One of the biggest "advantages" of electronic drills is that
unlike in the old days its now possible to run them in reverse
without actually noticing. Until the burning smell anyway.

Same with modern one handed chucks as opposed to old fashioned
keyed chucks. It seems much easier for stuff not to seat properly.

Nowadays De Walt are just badge engineered Chinese made products
for a lot of lines. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong
with Chinese stuff except that maybe it may not merit a
premium price based simply on the name.

+1 for the Poundshop 99p store recommendation but buy now while
the pound is strong.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
I bought two 8mm ones last week and started to use them yesterday with
my dowelling jig They were, of course, cheap. But totally useless. One
was slightly "warped", i.e. it didn't rotate true. And neither one was
any good at actually penetrating soft pine. I had to switch to using a
standard twist drill that has been used several times, so wasn't new.
Also, the wood wasn't knotted.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with drills from Wilko? I'm
currently thinking of ordering a De Walt product in the hope that this
will be better.

Strangely I've seen this too with these type of drills - the set I have is
branded Black and Decker. One of them is bent. And none what I'd call
sharp. I've never had a bent HSS drill, so I'd guess it's down to how
they're made? Softer steel which can bend - whereas HSS just break?

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:08:47 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

Nowadays De Walt are just badge engineered Chinese made products
for a lot of lines.

That's my fear should I decide to order the De Walt bits. The Wilko
drills are manufactured in China.

Not that there's anything necessarily wrong
with Chinese stuff except that maybe it may not merit a
premium price based simply on the name.

I don't care where the stuff originates provided it does the job. I've
bought a number of tools from Wilko over the years, all of which have
been satisfactory.

+1 for the Poundshop 99p store recommendation but buy now while
the pound is strong.

I doubt Poundshop would sell *brad point* 8mm drills. Twist drills,
possibly.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:18:53 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:
I bought two 8mm ones last week and started to use them yesterday with
my dowelling jig They were, of course, cheap. But totally useless. One
was slightly "warped", i.e. it didn't rotate true. And neither one was
any good at actually penetrating soft pine. I had to switch to using a
standard twist drill that has been used several times, so wasn't new.
Also, the wood wasn't knotted.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with drills from Wilko? I'm
currently thinking of ordering a De Walt product in the hope that this
will be better.

Strangely I've seen this too with these type of drills - the set I have is
branded Black and Decker. One of them is bent. And none what I'd call
sharp. I've never had a bent HSS drill, so I'd guess it's down to how
they're made? Softer steel which can bend - whereas HSS just break?

Obviously inferior quality steel and/or manufacturing process. The
stores don't give a damn as long as they can sell 'em to some mugs
(i.e. me in this case). Time to speak to a few carpenters, cabinet
makers I reckon. See what they recommend. Of course, there's always
flat bits intead... hmm.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Nowadays De Walt are just badge engineered Chinese made products
for a lot of lines.

That's my fear should I decide to order the De Walt bits. The Wilko
drills are manufactured in China.

Not that there's anything necessarily wrong
with Chinese stuff except that maybe it may not merit a
premium price based simply on the name.

I don't care where the stuff originates provided it does the job. I've
bought a number of tools from Wilko over the years, all of which have
been satisfactory.

+1 for the Poundshop 99p store recommendation but buy now while
the pound is strong.

I doubt Poundshop would sell *brad point* 8mm drills. Twist drills,
possibly.

Well your doubts are misplaced.

Brad points are otherwise known as "wood drills" - a point in the
middle and two outside spurs. I've bought sets branded Holtz TIGER
4,5,6,8,10 in a poundshop. Can't remember which one.

As I said, buy while the pound is strong as they don't always
have them in stock. What I've noticed in the past is that as
the pound fluctuates so do the poundshop offerings by way of
drill sets. ISTR at one point it was down to four in a
set. And then only for cheap twist drills made of cheese
rather than HSS.

michael adams

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 20, 2014 2:42:50 PM UTC+1, MM wrote:

Those were the ones I bought. They didn't work. Useless.

I thought you got wilko.

I doubt Poundshop would sell *brad point* 8mm drills. Twist drills,
possibly.

They have sets of brad point aka dowel bits, twist and masonry. For 99p you get about 8 of them. Do inspect the points as I've seen junk ones sometimes.

Time to speak to a few carpenters, cabinet
makers I reckon. See what they recommend.

Cheapo bits are mostly fine, but not always. I dont mind, I regrind any dud.

Of course, there's always
flat bits intead... hmm.

The worst performers of all. For the best performance in wood I use steep angle twist drills. They make dowel bits look crap.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
Strangely I've seen this too with these type of drills - the set I have
is branded Black and Decker. One of them is bent. And none what I'd
call sharp. I've never had a bent HSS drill, so I'd guess it's down to
how they're made? Softer steel which can bend - whereas HSS just break?

Obviously inferior quality steel and/or manufacturing process. The
stores don't give a damn as long as they can sell 'em to some mugs
(i.e. me in this case). Time to speak to a few carpenters, cabinet
makers I reckon. See what they recommend. Of course, there's always
flat bits intead... hmm.

Think the idea of these dedicated wood bit with the strange point is they
give a cleaner hole in wood - and are less likely to wander. They also
have a different spiral to clear the waste more efficiently?

Flat bits are very quick in an electric drill - but can make quite a mess
as they exit.

I must admit to simply using HSS in wood these days. Lifting out every now
and gain to clear the waste. Or augurs where I must have a decent hole, in
the larger sizes.

--
*Re-elect nobody

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:48:38 +0100, MM wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:18:53 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:
[...]

I've a set of Aldidl ones that have done well for 2 or 3 years. One
unexpected use was starting into woodchip, as a brad drill avoids the
'bounce' of the lumps, so they've done some plaster as well.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Flat bits are very quick in an electric drill - but can make quite a mess
as they exit.

Damn dangerous if they snag.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Think the idea of these dedicated wood bit with the strange point is they
give a cleaner hole in wood - and are less likely to wander. They also
have a different spiral to clear the waste more efficiently?

Flat bits are very quick in an electric drill

The Armeg wood-beavers are /very/ fast ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 07:36:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, October 20, 2014 2:42:50 PM UTC+1, MM wrote:

Those were the ones I bought. They didn't work. Useless.

I thought you got wilko.

I'm confused now. I did buy WIlko brand from Wilko. What were the
"store" ones (99p) you were referring to?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:28:08 AM UTC+1, MM wrote:

I'm confused now. I did buy WIlko brand from Wilko. What were the
"store" ones (99p) you were referring to?

From a chain of shops called 99p stores

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris French wrote:

http://www.99pstoresltd.com/

Probably not something you'd be aware of if there wasn't one of their
branches in the places you tend to shop.

They don't seem to have much of a presence "here", only one in the three
counties I was born, live and work in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 06:55:15 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Think the idea of these dedicated wood bit with the strange point is they
give a cleaner hole in wood - and are less likely to wander. They also
have a different spiral to clear the waste more efficiently?

Flat bits are very quick in an electric drill

The Armeg wood-beavers are /very/ fast ...

I just looked up Armeg on the web. Are their products only available
directly from them or from factor like Screwfix?

(I don't dare ask the price of the 8 mm brad point drill! They look
expensive.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

I just looked up Armeg on the web. Are their products only available
directly from them or from factor like Screwfix?

SF do them, but I think 10mm may be the smallest size

http://screwfix.com/p/belvoir/37342

(I don't dare ask the price of the 8 mm brad point drill! They look
expensive.)

Not cheap, they do a two flute 8mm P/N WBP0080

http://www.accura.ie/woodworking-tools.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, not specifically from them, but might be worth going back and asking
the e question if they have been conned by a counterfeiter.
I don't think they would be happy supplying this sort of crap.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"MM" wrote in message
I bought two 8mm ones last week and started to use them yesterday with
my dowelling jig They were, of course, cheap. But totally useless. One
was slightly "warped", i.e. it didn't rotate true. And neither one was
any good at actually penetrating soft pine. I had to switch to using a
standard twist drill that has been used several times, so wasn't new.
Also, the wood wasn't knotted.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with drills from Wilko? I'm
currently thinking of ordering a De Walt product in the hope that this
will be better.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Flat bits are very quick in an electric drill - but can make quite a
mess as they exit.

Damn dangerous if they snag.

Best to use a drill where you can set the maximum torque. But dunno if
this feature has appeared on the average mains drill.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 09:09:02 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

MM wrote:

I just looked up Armeg on the web. Are their products only available
directly from them or from factor like Screwfix?

SF do them, but I think 10mm may be the smallest size

Yep, SF are useless for 8mm brad point.

http://screwfix.com/p/belvoir/37342

(I don't dare ask the price of the 8 mm brad point drill! They look
expensive.)

Not cheap, they do a two flute 8mm P/N WBP0080

http://www.accura.ie/woodworking-tools.html

No prices shown. Must mean they're ~very~ expensive!

Anyway, I've completed my table now, using ordinary twist drills and
8mm and 6mm dowels. Thanks for all the replies.

MM