Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recycle/dispose problems

I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not empty.

ii) a 25litre drum containing some variety of petroleum spirit. The area
was once used for painting/spraying and much car maintenance.

The local authority don't want to know. They suggested local scrappies
who are equally reluctant. Diageo are incommunicado.

Any suggestions gladly considered.
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/14 12:53, WhinYett wrote:
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not empty.

Can you empty it in a controlled fashion?

If so, try the scrappies again, showing them the valve open.

ii) a 25litre drum containing some variety of petroleum spirit. The area
was once used for painting/spraying and much car maintenance.

Local dump usually has a section for this. if not, try a different
"local" dump (ie next town).

The local authority don't want to know. They suggested local scrappies
who are equally reluctant. Diageo are incommunicado.

Any suggestions gladly considered.
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2014 12:53, WhinYett wrote:
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not empty.

Empty it somewhere safely and cut it up.

ii) a 25litre drum containing some variety of petroleum spirit. The area
was once used for painting/spraying and much car maintenance.

any waste engine oil place near you?

Is there no label?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:53:55 PM UTC+1, WhinYett wrote:

I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-
i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not empty.
ii) a 25litre drum containing some variety of petroleum spirit. The area
was once used for painting/spraying and much car maintenance.
The local authority don't want to know. They suggested local scrappies
who are equally reluctant. Diageo are incommunicado.
Any suggestions gladly considered.
Frank

I could take the spirit if you're in this area - where are you?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

WhinYett wrote:

ii) a 25litre drum containing some variety of petroleum spirit. The area
was once used for painting/spraying and much car maintenance.

1. Wait 'til midnight, then go and park on a layby where there's a
gulley cover. Pour the spirit down the gulley. Wait five minutes. Start
your engine. Reach out of the car window and drop a match down the
gulley. Drive away very quickly.

2. Bottle it, copy some Vodka labels and stick them on, sell it to the
local Pakistani off licence.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2014 13:31, Dennis@home wrote:
On 30/09/2014 12:53, WhinYett wrote:
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not
empty.

Empty it somewhere safely and cut it up.

ii) a 25litre drum containing some variety of petroleum spirit. The area
was once used for painting/spraying and much car maintenance.

any waste engine oil place near you?

Is there no label?

Lots!

AnalaR, Prod 10179 ER, UN 1271` Petroleum Spirit

Cannot find those specific items numbers near them are Petroleum Spirit
things.

Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2014 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/09/14 12:53, WhinYett wrote:
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not
empty.

Can you empty it in a controlled fashion?

If so, try the scrappies again, showing them the valve open.

It has its valve so I guess so. Any hazards?
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:59:37 PM UTC+1, WhinYett wrote:
It has its valve so I guess so. Any hazards?

CO2 - frostbite and asphyxiation. It is heavier than air and will accumulate in pits etc.

Perhaps the petroleum spirit might be of use to anyone building a big bonfire in November?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/14 14:59, WhinYett wrote:
On 30/09/2014 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/09/14 12:53, WhinYett wrote:
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not
empty.

Can you empty it in a controlled fashion?

If so, try the scrappies again, showing them the valve open.

It has its valve so I guess so. Any hazards?
Frank

Without a regulator, it will come out like billy-o.

The cylinder will get damn cold too whilst it's loosing gas - enough to
burn.

And of course under no circumstances do this in a confined space or in a
hole or depression in the ground of any sort (CO2 being heavier than
air, it will pool).

If you want to make the exercise safer, borrow a regulator and discharge
it through that - more control.

Having said all that, if it were me, I'd get a bottle spanner, wrap the
cylinder in a thick towel to hold it by lying on its side and just tweak
the valve open a tad, making sure the gas jet cannot hit you (it will
get cold fast).

I'd try to get it hissing gently then just leave it outside for as long
as it takes.

Once it's stops hissing, crack the valve open *slowly* just in case
there's some left but it's managed to freeze itself shut (unlikely but
Mr Murphy will always be hanging around on these occasions).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

WhinYett wrote:
On 30/09/2014 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/09/14 12:53, WhinYett wrote:
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not
empty.

Can you empty it in a controlled fashion?

If so, try the scrappies again, showing them the valve open.

It has its valve so I guess so. Any hazards?
Frank

I still doubt that they'll take it. I couldn't get rid of a thick aluminium
cylinder with the valve removed as the smelters don't like anything that
can trap any air. Seems daft but that's what I was told. Only way is to
cut it in half first.

As others have said, local welders might find a use for it.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2014 14:55, WhinYett wrote:
On 30/09/2014 13:31, Dennis@home wrote:
On 30/09/2014 12:53, WhinYett wrote:
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not
empty.

Empty it somewhere safely and cut it up.

ii) a 25litre drum containing some variety of petroleum spirit. The area
was once used for painting/spraying and much car maintenance.

any waste engine oil place near you?

Is there no label?

Lots!

AnalaR, Prod 10179 ER, UN 1271` Petroleum Spirit

Cannot find those specific items numbers near them are Petroleum Spirit
things.

This is the current version of that product:

https://uk.vwr.com/app/catalog/Produ...40.292&frmls=x

The fact that it has the UN number 1271, which is no longer used, rather
than UN 1268 suggests that it is quite old.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2014 12:53, WhinYett wrote:
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not empty....

Ask the local pub, unless they only do real ale. It sounds like the
cylinders I used to have in a bar, for pressurising kegs of fizzy lager.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/14 14:55, WhinYett wrote:
On 30/09/2014 13:31, Dennis@home wrote:
On 30/09/2014 12:53, WhinYett wrote:
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not
empty.

Empty it somewhere safely and cut it up.

ii) a 25litre drum containing some variety of petroleum spirit. The area
was once used for painting/spraying and much car maintenance.

any waste engine oil place near you?

Is there no label?

Lots!

AnalaR, Prod 10179 ER, UN 1271` Petroleum Spirit

Cannot find those specific items numbers near them are Petroleum Spirit
things.

UN1271 is essentially 'petrol'

tip it out and let it evaporate then scrap the empty container

Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/14 14:59, WhinYett wrote:
On 30/09/2014 13:22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/09/14 12:53, WhinYett wrote:
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not
empty.

Can you empty it in a controlled fashion?

If so, try the scrappies again, showing them the valve open.

It has its valve so I guess so. Any hazards?
Frank

well dont inhale it in a closed room. been there done that. At a brewery

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

+2, except that it is not as scary as some people say. When you use a
CO2 fire extinguisher you need a pretty good flow, and the cylinder does
not get all that cold.

Or look for someone who does MIG welding, who might be very happy to
take it off your hands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:22:00 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Having said all that, if it were me, I'd get a bottle spanner, wrap the
cylinder in a thick towel to hold it by lying on its side and just tweak
the valve open a tad, making sure the gas jet cannot hit you (it will
get cold fast).

I'd try to get it hissing gently then just leave it outside for as long
as it takes.

Once it's stops hissing, crack the valve open *slowly* just in case
there's some left but it's managed to freeze itself shut (unlikely but
Mr Murphy will always be hanging around on these occasions).

Mr Murphy would prefer a 70%/30% Nitrogen Co2 mix.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2014 20:27, newshound wrote:
[...]

I'd try and have some fun burning it - though I'd be very careful while
doing so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 16:40:06 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

UN1271 is essentially 'petrol'

Closest I got was "petroleum ester" formly "petroleum sprit". I
suspect something similar to lighter fuel.

tip it out and let it evaporate then scrap the empty container

Trying not to do a Bruncefield in the process. B-)

Small amounts over an extended period of time and away from drains
cellars etc as I supect the vapour will be heavier than air.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message

tip it out and let it evaporate then scrap the empty container

+1

If I were to do this I'd empty it into a drum of sand or sawdust in an open
area and let it evaporate from there. This should allow a slightly more
controlled disposal. When I worked for the Medical Research Council this is
how waste solvent was disposed of (several gallons at a time).

I wouldn't advise smoking whilst doing this...

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/14 22:14, Ferretygubbins wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message

tip it out and let it evaporate then scrap the empty container

+1

If I were to do this I'd empty it into a drum of sand or sawdust in an
open area and let it evaporate from there. This should allow a slightly
more controlled disposal. When I worked for the Medical Research
Council this is how waste solvent was disposed of (several gallons at a
time).

I wouldn't advise smoking whilst doing this...

Sounds like a good plan.

I've got rid of solvent by pouring a pint at a time over the concrete
drive and let it evaporate off.

Here's something else not to do:

University in the 80's. Buy old ****box Maxi. Take carb to room with a
gallon of petrol to clean and replace seals. End up with big pile of
petrol soaked rags.

Put rags in dumpster by college side gate. Seemed reasonable...

Notice 1/2 hour later that dumpster area stinks of petrol as it remains
so for the next day...

Remembers that petrol is much heavier than air and dumpster is empty -
except for petrol soaked rags. Dumpster therefore now contains about 3m3
of petrol vapour...

Prays for the next day that noone takes a lit fag anywhere near the
dumpster.

*ahem*
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2014 15:22, Tim Watts wrote:
Without a regulator, it will come out like billy-o.

The cylinder will get damn cold too whilst it's loosing gas - enough to
burn.

And of course under no circumstances do this in a confined space or in a
hole or depression in the ground of any sort (CO2 being heavier than
air, it will pool)...

I recall having a 30kg CO2 extinguisher demonstrated to a group of us in
a Fire Station. With the doors closed, it filled the three (empty)
engine bays with fog to knee height.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"WhinYett" wrote in message
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years
ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several
decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take
from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not
empty.

ii) a 25litre drum containing some variety of petroleum spirit. The area
was once used for painting/spraying and much car maintenance.

Ask the local pyromaniac if he wants to have a play?

Set fire to the petrol stuff, put it out with the CO2, repeat until it's all
gone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 October 2014 15:43:42 UTC+1, Gazz wrote:
"WhinYett" wrote in message

I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years

ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several

decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems prepared to take

from me:-

i) CO2 cylinder. 5ft long job labelled distillers company! It is not

empty.

ii) a 25litre drum containing some variety of petroleum spirit. The area

was once used for painting/spraying and much car maintenance.

Ask the local pyromaniac if he wants to have a play?

Set fire to the petrol stuff, put it out with the CO2, repeat until it's all

gone.

Give it all to the local Eastern europeans they'll sell it as Vodka or something similar. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:49:34 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Once it's stops hissing, crack the valve open *slowly* just in case
there's some left but it's managed to freeze itself shut (unlikely but
Mr Murphy will always be hanging around on these occasions).

Mr Murphy would prefer a 70%/30% Nitrogen Co2 mix.

Sounds intriguing - what's that do?

Nothing too interesting . Kegs of Guinness in Great Britain used to
have a separate compartment which supplied that gas mixture as it
helps in the forming the dense head when the liquid is forced through
some small holes in the tap nozzle.
Then Murphys Stout was imported which also required the same gas
mixture for the same reason. This used ordinary kegs so the premises
that sold it had to start stocking cylinders and be equipped with
regulators for the 70/30 mix .An unfortunate knock on effect from
that was once such supplies were in place the Marketing Men had
another Gimmick to promote something new and we got a rash of IMHO
undrinkable abominations of bitters dispensed the same way sold with
nitrogenated heads , Eg Boddingtons Keg, John Smiths Extra
Smooth,Worthington Creamflow etc. Then there was that strange hybrid
Caffreys which also used the mixture.
In a way these did some good in being so awful that they just about
pushed the shrinking keg bitter market into a state of terminal
decline and allowed decent cask beer from smaller producers to have a
resurgence .

G.Harman