Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default To kill a buddleia

How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of
the panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to
carry on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First
thoughts are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2014 16:31, Mike Barnes wrote:
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of
the panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to
carry on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First
thoughts are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Glyphosate or any other weedkiller whenever you happen to be using it
every few weeks will see it off. Bark ringing will slow it down too.

I use the same trick on awkward to reach small trees that get too big
to pull out or are somewhere I can't reach or dig without damaging
something precious. Just protect anything you like from the spray.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of
the panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to
carry on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First
thoughts are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Once you have got some leaves back on it, try glyphosate or my favourite
which works on stubborn things including Ivy is a mix of the above and
ammonium sulphamate. The latter used to be sold under the name root out
but can be bought on ebay as a compost accelerator. It is now outlawed
for use as a weed killer but often the suppliers helpfully leave the
full instruction in the pack for both applications.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of the
panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to carry
on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First thoughts
are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Cut it off and paint "Roundup" on the cut stems.
Kills it easy,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of the
panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to carry
on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First thoughts
are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Cut it off and paint "Roundup" on the cut stems.
Kills it easy,

How does that work when it's only absorbed through the leaves?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/14 17:26, Tim+ wrote:
"harryagain" wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of the
panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to carry
on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First thoughts
are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Cut it off and paint "Roundup" on the cut stems.
Kills it easy,

How does that work when it's only absorbed through the leaves?

Tim

if it were, it wouldn't, but it isn't so it does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
"harryagain" wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of
the
panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to
carry
on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First thoughts
are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Cut it off and paint "Roundup" on the cut stems.
Kills it easy,

How does that work when it's only absorbed through the leaves?

It works,
You only have to break the bark. Leaves have holes in them ready made.
How do you suppose th roundup gets down to the roots?
Large stumps can heve holes drilled in a circle just beneath the bark and
Roundup tipped in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
"harryagain" wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of
the
panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to
carry
on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First thoughts
are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Cut it off and paint "Roundup" on the cut stems.
Kills it easy,

How does that work when it's only absorbed through the leaves?

BTW, you have to apply the roundup right after cutting ie when wet with sap
If it has dried off, cut it off again lower down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
How does that work when it's only absorbed through the leaves?

Just wait for it to put out a shoot, then jump on it with the glyphosate.
Seems to be doing the trick here with elder and bindweed.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
"harryagain" wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of
the
panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to
carry
on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First thoughts
are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Cut it off and paint "Roundup" on the cut stems.
Kills it easy,

How does that work when it's only absorbed through the leaves?

BTW, you have to apply the roundup right after cutting ie when wet with sap
If it has dried off, cut it off again lower down.

It was trimmed today and I won't be able to do anything more until Friday.

So on Friday I'll get the loppers out again, trim another inch off where
I can, and paint the Roundup on the edges straight away. That should do
it. Fortunately there's nothing in the vicinity that needs protecting.

Thanks everyone.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary
fence (sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking
one of the panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to
carry on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First
thoughts are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Prune it right back in November and hope we have a hard winter.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote

How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of the
panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to carry
on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First thoughts
are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

I apply neat Roundup to the cut surfaces and it kills everything I have done
that with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
"harryagain" wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of
the
panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to
carry
on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First thoughts
are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Cut it off and paint "Roundup" on the cut stems.
Kills it easy,

How does that work when it's only absorbed through the leaves?

No idea, it just works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:
How does that work when it's only absorbed through the leaves?

Just wait for it to put out a shoot, then jump on it with the glyphosate.

You don’t have to wait, just apply neat Roundup the fresh cut.

Seems to be doing the trick here with elder and bindweed.

I've had it work on everything I have done it on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"Tim+" wrote
"harryagain" wrote:

Cut it off and paint "Roundup" on the cut stems.
Kills it easy,

How does that work when it's only absorbed through the leaves?

No idea, it just works fine.

When the stem is cut, for a few seconds afterwards the sap is sucked
back down to the roots, so spraying with glyphosate during this
period ensures it is taken down as well, resulting in plant death.

I once had a Sasa bamboo that had got out of control, it must have had
more than 200 stems growing from the root ball. Cutting a few stems at
a time and immdiately spraying with glyphosate was almost totally
successful - only three tiny stems survived, which were easily dealt
with.

--
Terry Fields

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2014 23:40, bert wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary
fence (sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking
one of the panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to
carry on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First
thoughts are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

Prune it right back in November and hope we have a hard winter.

Hard pruning will just encourage it! Local garden centre does this to
theirs every year so that the bulbs under it get a fair showing.

They are presently taller than I am and in full flower.

Chemical warfare is the only way. Look at the railway embankments!

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We use timbrel, glyphosate is poor in comparison. However it has been
withdrawn and if you find someone with some it needs to be used by
November.

We do lots of it on brickwork arches leading to London.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
How to kill a buddleia?

It's growing in the 8" gap between the greenhouse and the boundary fence
(sheep netting). It's distorted the greenhouse frame, breaking one of the
panes. I've hacked back the buddleia and replaced the pane.

Knowing that buddleias like a good prune I'm assuming it's likely to carry
on growing and cause more damage, so I'd like to kill it. First thoughts
are chemical, but I don't know what to use and how to apply it.

Ideas?

These are everywhere these days, no sooner has a building been demolished,
there's dozens of these hideous things sprawling everywhere.

I actually seen a few grown purposely in someone's rather neat garden a few
days ago...why would anyone want a huge weed as a centrepiece?

They are now classed as 'invasive'.

If I were you, I'd jump over the fence and spray everything with glyphosate,
leaves, stump and anything else that's showing.
Pick up any flower / seed heads that may have dropped or been cut down
otherwise you'll have several clumps next year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

I actually seen a few grown purposely in someone's rather neat garden a few
days ago...why would anyone want a huge weed as a centrepiece?

My nan had one for the butterflys ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/14 13:07, Andy Burns wrote:
Phil L wrote:

I actually seen a few grown purposely in someone's rather neat garden
a few
days ago...why would anyone want a huge weed as a centrepiece?

My nan had one for the butterflys ...

I have a large garden with several in it.

cut down to a couple of feet in spring, they reach about 15 feet at this
time of year and produce magnificent colour.

Left to their own devices they look pretty ugly. The secret is to smack
em down to an inch of their lives so that all te growth is 'new ' growth
as that's where the flowers are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2014 13:07, Andy Burns wrote:
Phil L wrote:

I actually seen a few grown purposely in someone's rather neat garden
a few
days ago...why would anyone want a huge weed as a centrepiece?

My nan had one for the butterflys ...

We have 4 different ones.

Someone planned this, they flower in sequence so we've had loads of
butterflies all summer.

Andy