Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How am I meant to paint the stonework in this bloody weather?

I've been trying to paint round the windows, door etc with Johnstone's
Stormshield Pliolite for past few days. But I can't get the bloody
stuff to brush out before it dries. Roller's no better on the bigger
areas. (On a scale of "passable" to "excellent" my painting is often
"re-sit" but this is much worse than usual.) And the paint in the kettle
seems to get gloopy on top before I've moved the ladder once. I've tried
thinning a bit with white spirit but that didn't make a noticeable
difference. Anything else I can try please? Or is it just too bloody
hot (in London) for East facing stonework which gets hot first thing
with a paint which always dries v v fast?

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin scribbled...

I've been trying to paint round the windows, door etc with Johnstone's
Stormshield Pliolite for past few days. But I can't get the bloody
stuff to brush out before it dries. Roller's no better on the bigger
areas. (On a scale of "passable" to "excellent" my painting is often
"re-sit" but this is much worse than usual.) And the paint in the kettle
seems to get gloopy on top before I've moved the ladder once. I've tried
thinning a bit with white spirit but that didn't make a noticeable
difference. Anything else I can try please? Or is it just too bloody
hot (in London) for East facing stonework which gets hot first thing
with a paint which always dries v v fast?

Change your painting times to early or late, when the sun isn't on the
wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2014 16:20, Jabba wrote:
Robin scribbled...

I've been trying to paint round the windows, door etc with Johnstone's
Stormshield Pliolite for past few days. But I can't get the bloody
stuff to brush out before it dries. Roller's no better on the bigger
areas. (On a scale of "passable" to "excellent" my painting is often
"re-sit" but this is much worse than usual.) And the paint in the kettle
seems to get gloopy on top before I've moved the ladder once. I've tried
thinning a bit with white spirit but that didn't make a noticeable
difference. Anything else I can try please? Or is it just too bloody
hot (in London) for East facing stonework which gets hot first thing
with a paint which always dries v v fast?

Change your painting times to early or late, when the sun isn't on the
wall.

Yep. I have a couple of gates that need painting. The alarm is set for
6:30 am

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 July 2014 16:29:55 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

It gets light at 5 set it for 4 you lazy bugger!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2014 16:41, Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

I might were I painting an entire house.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote in message
[...]

Wota packa wimps. You wanna try doing it in
a heat wave where we get 10 days over 40C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2014 16:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
Do it at night?

Brian

One of the benefits of the plioilite formulation is that contractors can
paint in near freezing conditions. Not so good in the warm obviously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2014 17:31, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

What do you fail to understand about the heat causing the paint to dry
too quickly?

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/14 16:41, Weatherlawyer wrote:

It gets light at 5 set it for 4 you lazy bugger!

DIY before 11am is alien to me...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2014 18:06, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/07/14 16:41, Weatherlawyer wrote:

It gets light at 5 set it for 4 you lazy bugger!

DIY before 11am is alien to me...

That is my most productive time of the day. After lunch I have a power
nap, after which ICBA to do anything.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yep. I have a couple of gates that need painting. The alarm is set for
6:30 am

Tricky as it's a terraced house and while neighbours on one side ar as
relaxed as a very, very relaxed relaxed-thing, t'other side is as about
as difficult as finding a virgin* who wants to go to bed with my mind.

*female, human - sheep need not apply

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not so good in the warm
obviously.

But sadly not to me in May when I decided to try it

To be fair, it was fine on the back half of the house; and it lives up
to the "showerproof in 20 minutes" claim

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Not very good for an oil based paint.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:27:52 +0100, "Nightjar wrote:

It gets light at 5 set it for 4 you lazy bugger!

It's getting light at 4, by 5 it's well light. Not that long ago it
was light at 4.

DIY before 11am is alien to me...

That is my most productive time of the day. After lunch I have a power
nap, after which ICBA to do anything.

Hardly a "power nap" if YCBA to do anything afterwards.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nothing, we paint fine in that situation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2014 20:13, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:27:52 +0100, "Nightjar wrote:

It gets light at 5 set it for 4 you lazy bugger!

It's getting light at 4, by 5 it's well light. Not that long ago it
was light at 4.

DIY before 11am is alien to me...

That is my most productive time of the day. After lunch I have a power
nap, after which ICBA to do anything.

Hardly a "power nap" if YCBA to do anything afterwards.

Power nap is my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/14 19:46, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
[...]

so add more white spirit..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The only method of thinning recommended by the manufacturer is to stand
the open tin in a bucket of hot water. Given the choice between possibly
upsetting the carefully formulated composition of an expensive exterior
paint by using random solvents and getting up early, I'll stick with
getting up early.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/14 08:12, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
The only method of thinning recommended by the manufacturer is to stand
the open tin in a bucket of hot water. Given the choice between possibly
upsetting the carefully formulated composition of an expensive exterior
paint by using random solvents and getting up early, I'll stick with
getting up early.

That's fair enough - instructions trumps all.

My floor paint said max 5% thinning with white spirit so that's what I
did

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Extraordinary paint you must be using

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/14 08:12, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:

The only method of thinning recommended by the manufacturer is to stand
the open tin in a bucket of hot water. Given the choice between possibly
upsetting the carefully formulated composition of an expensive exterior
paint by using random solvents and getting up early, I'll stick with
getting up early.

Extraordinary paint you must be using

I hope so - it cost enough.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/14 17:48, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:

snip
What do you fail to understand about the heat causing the paint to dry
too quickly?

so add more water..

On the plus side, it is now possible to use Dulux weathershield
preservative primer and base coat primer out of doors even north of
Manchester. The new 'improved' water-based formula cannot be used
outdoors if the temperature is below about 15-18 centigrade.

And being water based it drips off the brush and runs down the wall or
upvc, and leaves a lumpy finish. The tin says 'do not thin' - what with ??.

It beats me how they could make such a previously-fantastic primer
utterly useless for anything other than clean, dry, previously untreated
softwood. The matching water based basecoat primer for hardwoods
intended to be stained just bounces off most types of wood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2014 09:59, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 23/07/14 08:12, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:

The only method of thinning recommended by the manufacturer is to stand
the open tin in a bucket of hot water. Given the choice between possibly
upsetting the carefully formulated composition of an expensive exterior
paint by using random solvents and getting up early, I'll stick with
getting up early.

Extraordinary paint you must be using

I hope so - it cost enough.

Based on a solvent naptha/ white spirit combination IIRC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2014 19:07, stuart noble wrote:
On 23/07/2014 09:59, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 23/07/14 08:12, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:

The only method of thinning recommended by the manufacturer is to stand
the open tin in a bucket of hot water. Given the choice between
possibly
upsetting the carefully formulated composition of an expensive exterior
paint by using random solvents and getting up early, I'll stick with
getting up early.

Extraordinary paint you must be using

I hope so - it cost enough.

Based on a solvent naptha/ white spirit combination IIRC.

Quite possibly, but I have, in the past, come across oil based paints
that needed to be thinned with genuine turpentine and even linseed oil.
Given the manufacturer's recommended method of thinning, I cannot be
sure that white spirit would not harm the paint and I need it to last
for many years without having to be repainted; the vulnerable bottom
edge cannot be reached without taking the gates down (or, at present,
before putting them up) and one of them needs two people to lift.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Based on a solvent naptha/ white spirit combination IIRC.

Quite possibly, but I have, in the past, come across oil based paints
that needed to be thinned with genuine turpentine and even linseed
oil. Given the manufacturer's recommended method of thinning, I
cannot be sure that white spirit would not harm the paint and I need
it to last for many years without having to be repainted; the
vulnerable bottom edge cannot be reached without taking the gates
down (or, at present, before putting them up) and one of them needs
two people to lift.

The data sheet doesn't mention it but the cans of Johnstone's
Stormshield Pliolite I am using do permit thinning with white
spirit and that was confirmed by their tech support yesterday. But they
also made clear (while naturally not disparaging their product) that the
pliolite was *very* quick drying even in freezing weather. And the
collective advice of the blokes at the local Johnstone's Decorating
Centre yesterday confirmed my experiments: you can't thin it enough to
work in direct sun when it's hot unless you want to do 4 coats and still
end up with half the paint on the bricks, down your sleeve etc.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

removing latex paint from rubber weather stripping car crash Home Repair 2 June 5th 07 02:59 AM
How do I remove weather stripping caulk without damaging the paint? TC Home Repair 2 May 2nd 07 04:34 PM
Bloody weather! HLAH UK diy 5 January 21st 07 11:18 PM
Good all-weather water-proof outdoor paint/sealer? Ken Moiarty Home Repair 14 April 20th 06 04:09 AM
Cold weather- Drying oil paint, exterior Robert W. Schaff Woodworking 2 November 2nd 04 03:43 PM