Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double gang intermediate light switches?

Do they exist?

basically I have three doors in a kitchen that has 2 seperate sets of
lights. we need to be able to control either set of lights from any 1 of
these three doors.

I can get double gang 2 way light switches in a single gang pattress but
am having difficulty finding a single pattress with 2 intermediate
switches in it....

I want to avoid modular grid switches on grounds of cost and to get all
the electrical accessories looking all the same (i.e. same manufacturer)
within the kitchen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message ...

Do they exist?

basically I have three doors in a kitchen that has 2 seperate sets of
lights. we need to be able to control either set of lights from any 1 of
these three doors.

I can get double gang 2 way light switches in a single gang pattress but am
having difficulty finding a single pattress with 2 intermediate switches in
it....

I want to avoid modular grid switches on grounds of cost and to get all the
electrical accessories looking all the same (i.e. same manufacturer) within
the kitchen.

Information here any use?
http://users.wfu.edu/matthews/course...iswitches.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/14 07:09, Stephen wrote:
Do they exist?

basically I have three doors in a kitchen that has 2 seperate sets of
lights. we need to be able to control either set of lights from any 1 of
these three doors.

I can get double gang 2 way light switches in a single gang pattress but
am having difficulty finding a single pattress with 2 intermediate
switches in it....

I want to avoid modular grid switches on grounds of cost and to get all
the electrical accessories looking all the same (i.e. same manufacturer)
within the kitchen.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=do...witch&tbm=shop

I'd give you a link to TLC but their website is down...

Failing that, don't diso**** GRID - GET Ultimate are available in all
white - doesn't look much like typical grid when assembled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Do they exist?

basically I have three doors in a kitchen that has 2 seperate sets of
lights. we need to be able to control either set of lights from any 1 of
these three doors.

I can get double gang 2 way light switches in a single gang pattress but
am having difficulty finding a single pattress with 2 intermediate
switches in it....

I want to avoid modular grid switches on grounds of cost and to get all
the electrical accessories looking all the same (i.e. same manufacturer)
within the kitchen.

I have never seen such a thing.
The normal way is to use all gridswitches in the location to get them
matching even if some are only single gang.
Gridswitches don't look that different to normal switches esp. if from the
same manufacturer.
Nobody's going to notice if they are opposite ends of a room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Information here any use?
http://users.wfu.edu/matthews/course...lightsmultiswi
tches.html

Blimey - interesting but it makes you realise how confusing US wiring can
be. A switch with 3 terminals is not a 3 way switch. God help us if this
confusion comes over here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Blimey - interesting but it makes you realise how confusing US wiring can
be. A switch with 3 terminals is not a 3 way switch. God help us if this
confusion comes over here.

I had a similar sort of problem in plumbing.

I had told my contractor that I wanted what I described as a
3-way diverter. They knew I wanted it to supply overhead shower,
bath filler and bath side pencil shower. Only when the box was
opened to see how to connect it (after I had drawn a line diagram
of the concept) did the problem become clear.

We had fallen foul of Bristan's bizarre nomenclature (1). Their
three-way valve has two inputs (one to be blanked off) and two
outputs. To get three outputs needs a five-way valve.

Fortunately Bristan are not too far from me, and it was swapped
in the nick of time.

(1) Other manufacturers may do likewise.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:09:30 AM UTC+1, Stephen wrote:

Do they exist?
basically I have three doors in a kitchen that has 2 seperate sets of
lights. we need to be able to control either set of lights from any 1 of
these three doors.
I can get double gang 2 way light switches in a single gang pattress but
am having difficulty finding a single pattress with 2 intermediate
switches in it....
I want to avoid modular grid switches on grounds of cost and to get all
the electrical accessories looking all the same (i.e. same manufacturer)
within the kitchen.

If all else fails you could fall back on standard switch plus relay

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I want to avoid modular grid switches on grounds of cost and to get all
the electrical accessories looking all the same (i.e. same manufacturer)
within the kitchen.

I've only ever been able to do this by using grid switches. Some grid
switches do match (reasonably) other 'ordinary' ones from the same maker.
But if your chosen switches are 'fancy' ones, no chance.

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Do they exist?

basically I have three doors in a kitchen that has 2 seperate sets of
lights. we need to be able to control either set of lights from any 1 of
these three doors.

I can get double gang 2 way light switches in a single gang pattress but
am having difficulty finding a single pattress with 2 intermediate
switches in it....

I want to avoid modular grid switches on grounds of cost and to get all
the electrical accessories looking all the same (i.e. same manufacturer)
within the kitchen.

I have several - bought from MK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Do they exist?

basically I have three doors in a kitchen that has 2 seperate sets of
lights. we need to be able to control either set of lights from any 1
of these three doors.

I can get double gang 2 way light switches in a single gang pattress
but am having difficulty finding a single pattress with 2 intermediate
switches in it....

I want to avoid modular grid switches on grounds of cost and to get all
the electrical accessories looking all the same (i.e. same
manufacturer)
within the kitchen.

I have several - bought from MK.

Got a part number?

Sorry - they are on the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Do they exist?

basically I have three doors in a kitchen that has 2 seperate sets of
lights. we need to be able to control either set of lights from any 1
of these three doors.

I can get double gang 2 way light switches in a single gang pattress
but am having difficulty finding a single pattress with 2 intermediate
switches in it....

I want to avoid modular grid switches on grounds of cost and to get all
the electrical accessories looking all the same (i.e. same
manufacturer)
within the kitchen.

I have several - bought from MK.

Got a part number?

http://www.contactum.co.uk/products/...oulded-white-0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Geoff Pearson wrote:
I have several - bought from MK.

Got a part number?

http://www.contactum.co.uk/products/...oulded-white-0

Not MK, though. The OP wants it to match his other fittings - but doesn't
say what they are.

--
*No I haven't stolen it , I'm just a **** driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Geoff Pearson wrote:
I have several - bought from MK.

Got a part number?

http://www.contactum.co.uk/products/...oulded-white-0

Not MK, though. The OP wants it to match his other fittings - but doesn't
say what they are.

What I did once was to remove an intermediate switch off the (single)
backplate it came on and fix it to another backplate in place of a two way
switch. That was when they were screwed on. might not be so easy when they
are "plastic welded" in place.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2014 09:41, DerbyBorn wrote:

Information here any use?
http://users.wfu.edu/matthews/course...lightsmultiswi
tches.html

Blimey - interesting but it makes you realise how confusing US wiring can
be. A switch with 3 terminals is not a 3 way switch. God help us if this
confusion comes over here.

Other than the terminology (3 way rather than 2 way, and 4 way rather
than crossover) its pretty much the same as we do (without the wirenuts!))

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...1.29_Switching

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Geoff Pearson wrote:
I have several - bought from MK.

Got a part number?

http://www.contactum.co.uk/products/...oulded-white-0

Not MK, though. The OP wants it to match his other fittings - but doesn't
say what they are.

That does create a bit of a problem when trying to answer the question
doesn't it:-)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Geoff Pearson wrote:
I have several - bought from MK.

Got a part number?

http://www.contactum.co.uk/products/...oulded-white-0

Not MK, though. The OP wants it to match his other fittings - but doesn't
say what they are.

What I did once was to remove an intermediate switch off the (single)
backplate it came on and fix it to another backplate in place of a two way
switch. That was when they were screwed on. might not be so easy when
they
are "plastic welded" in place.

Of course CLICK electrical switches are designed for this. It's called
modular not grid.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Pearson wrote:
I have several - bought from MK.

Got a part number?

http://www.contactum.co.uk/products/...oulded-white-0

Not MK, though. The OP wants it to match his other fittings - but doesn't
say what they are.

That does create a bit of a problem when trying to answer the question
doesn't it:-)?

I normally use Marbo stuff from Screwfix.....

At a push if I could keep costs down I night consider using modular for
all light switches in the kitchen as the ouside door will have two extra
switches for outside lights that need to be 2 way on - off - on to give
permanently on or Permanently Off or PIR automatic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Pearson wrote:
I have several - bought from MK.

Got a part number?

http://www.contactum.co.uk/products/...oulded-white-0

Not MK, though. The OP wants it to match his other fittings - but doesn't
say what they are.

That does create a bit of a problem when trying to answer the question
doesn't it:-)?

I normally use Marbo stuff from Screwfix.....

At a push if I could keep costs down I night consider using modular for
all light switches in the kitchen as the ouside door will have two extra
switches for outside lights that need to be 2 way on - off - on to give
permanently on or Permanently Off or PIR automatic.

Contactum 2 gang intermediate - fairly similar to Marbo
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CM2723.html
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:53:14 +0100, Stephen wrote:

At a push if I could keep costs down I night consider using modular for
all light switches in the kitchen as the ouside door will have two extra
switches for outside lights that need to be 2 way on - off - on to give
permanently on or Permanently Off or PIR automatic.

Don't think I've ever seena center off "light switch" or switch
module. Do you need it anyway? Many PIRs will latch into permenant on
if you toggle the power to them a couple of times over a couple of
seconds.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Apr 2014, "Dave Liquorice"
grunted:

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:53:14 +0100, Stephen wrote:

At a push if I could keep costs down I night consider using modular
for all light switches in the kitchen as the ouside door will have
two extra switches for outside lights that need to be 2 way on - off
- on to give permanently on or Permanently Off or PIR automatic.

Don't think I've ever seena center off "light switch" or switch
module. Do you need it anyway? Many PIRs will latch into permenant on
if you toggle the power to them a couple of times over a couple of
seconds.

Intermediate switches aren't 'centre off'; they just toggle up or down just
like a 2-way switch, only the lights are controllable from three places
rather than two.

We have one 2-gang one here which controls the landing light from
downstairs and at either end of the (long) landing; sorry OP, no idea what
brand it is.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:53:14 +0100, Stephen wrote:

At a push if I could keep costs down I night consider using modular for
all light switches in the kitchen as the ouside door will have two extra
switches for outside lights that need to be 2 way on - off - on to give
permanently on or Permanently Off or PIR automatic.

Don't think I've ever seena center off "light switch" or switch
module. Do you need it anyway? Many PIRs will latch into permenant on
if you toggle the power to them a couple of times over a couple of
seconds.

First generation MK gridswitch (toggle-style) had a centre-off switch.
Not so easy to control with current trend to rocker switches, which
may be why there isn't one.

Current generation MK gridswitch has a momentary action centre-off
switch (usually used with control circuits to switch lights on and off,
without storing the the current on/off state in the switch itself).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Renovating gang switches N_Cook Electronics Repair 3 March 7th 13 08:16 AM
2 Gang, Intermediate Light Switch ? Mark Carver UK diy 6 September 9th 11 03:01 PM
Two-way and intermediate switches John UK diy 28 July 3rd 10 10:10 PM
Gang switches rile Home Repair 16 December 14th 05 12:12 PM
"Georgian Brass" light switch that has 3 switches and fits in a double socket I can find any re UK diy 1 February 27th 04 11:56 PM