Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Exterior Polyfilla

Many many years ago I repaired some exterior stone mouldings here with
exterior Polyfilla. At that time it was basically just a mortar made with
very fine sand. And it has lasted remarkably well. But needs doing again.
The present exterior Polyfilla is nothing like the stuff I want. Can I get
anything else which is the same idea? In ordinary sized packets rather
than 50Kg bags. ;-)

--
*Rehab is for quitters.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have used Polyfilla quickset cement to repair damaged rendering. It sets quick, is tough and looks like mortar when set. Will probably do what you want, the only difficulty might be colour matching your stonework. If you are over painting then it will not be an issue.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
I have used Polyfilla quickset cement to repair damaged rendering. It
sets quick, is tough and looks like mortar when set. Will probably do
what you want, the only difficulty might be colour matching your
stonework. If you are over painting then it will not be an issue.

Thanks - I'll have a look. It is painted, so colour doesn't matter.

--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
I have used Polyfilla quickset cement to repair damaged rendering. It
sets quick, is tough and looks like mortar when set. Will probably do
what you want, the only difficulty might be colour matching your
stonework. If you are over painting then it will not be an issue.

Thanks - I'll have a look. It is painted, so colour doesn't matter.

I've used ordinary cement with pva as a fine surface filler. Unlike some
fillers, it even gets into hairline cracks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
I have used Polyfilla quickset cement to repair damaged rendering. It
sets quick, is tough and looks like mortar when set. Will probably do
what you want, the only difficulty might be colour matching your
stonework. If you are over painting then it will not be an issue.

Thanks - I'll have a look. It is painted, so colour doesn't matter.

I've used ordinary cement with pva as a fine surface filler. Unlike some
fillers, it even gets into hairline cracks

Right - it never occurred to me to use cement rather than a mortar.

It's the stone moulding above a Victorian window. Sort of linear pattern
that has to be repaired well if not to look terrible. I made up a glass
fibre mould from a good bit and filled it with a sloppy exterior Polyfilla
mix and sort of slapped it on. The resultant repair was near perfect when
painted - much better than other repairs done on similar houses in the
street by pro decorators. It's also lasted about 40 years. So if I do the
same again, should see me out. ;-)

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 08:46:27 +0100, stuart noble

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
I have used Polyfilla quickset cement to repair damaged rendering. It
sets quick, is tough and looks like mortar when set. Will probably do
what you want, the only difficulty might be colour matching your
stonework. If you are over painting then it will not be an issue.

Thanks - I'll have a look. It is painted, so colour doesn't matter.

I've used ordinary cement with pva as a fine surface filler. Unlike some
fillers, it even gets into hairline cracks

Do you mean just cement powder and pva?

I thought cement powder (as in Portland cement) was just a binding
agent and needed a "filler" (sand, ballast etc) for strength and bulk,
and on it's own it has neither.

I wonder if your mixture might work well on thin cracks in exterior
wall rendering, my walls must move slightly under summer sun, as the
bloody cracks come back year after year! PVA presumably gives it some
flexibility?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Cement sets rock hard on its own but is very brittle, hence the pva.
Main thing is, it's incredibly fine. Cement based flooring grout might
be worth a try
Posted to uk.d-i-y

As in tile grout?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2014 20:56, JimK wrote:
As in tile grout?

Jim K

Why not? There may be something other than cement in it

Polyfilla vs plaster Lieutenant Scott UK diy 16 November 14th 11 10:44 AM
Using exterior polyfilla to skim stonework? Rednadnerb UK diy 10 August 19th 08 01:16 PM
Polyfilla mikesmith UK diy 21 October 1st 07 04:22 PM
using polyfilla around a rawlplug torge conrad maguar UK diy 42 December 21st 06 05:40 PM
using polyfilla around a rawlplug torge conrad maguar Home Repair 43 December 21st 06 05:40 PM