Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Finally got toilet bowl sparkling again with Mr Muscle limescale destroyer

I've been battling with limescale build-up for years. Then I saw the
Mr Muscle product in Willo and bought a bottle. Here's what I did:

Pushed out as much water from the bowl as possible by repeatedly
plunging the toilet brush down it.

Drained the residual water using a turkey baster (about 5 minutes).

Dried the bowl with industrial floor wipe.

Squirted a good 1/3 of the bottle all over the limescale.

Left it for 6 hours. The limescale had melted away completely, leaving
a pristine white bowl as if it were brand-new.

Oh, and I put the turkey baster in the garage with a label on it "not
for food use".

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2013 14:56, MM wrote:
I've been battling with limescale build-up for years. Then I saw the
Mr Muscle product in Willo and bought a bottle. Here's what I did:

Pushed out as much water from the bowl as possible by repeatedly
plunging the toilet brush down it.

Drained the residual water using a turkey baster (about 5 minutes).

Dried the bowl with industrial floor wipe.

Squirted a good 1/3 of the bottle all over the limescale.

Left it for 6 hours. The limescale had melted away completely, leaving
a pristine white bowl as if it were brand-new.

Oh, and I put the turkey baster in the garage with a label on it "not
for food use".

Spirits of salts is cheaper.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 15:39:06 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

On 03/12/2013 14:56, MM wrote:
I've been battling with limescale build-up for years. Then I saw the
Mr Muscle product in Willo and bought a bottle. Here's what I did:

Pushed out as much water from the bowl as possible by repeatedly
plunging the toilet brush down it.

Drained the residual water using a turkey baster (about 5 minutes).

Dried the bowl with industrial floor wipe.

Squirted a good 1/3 of the bottle all over the limescale.

Left it for 6 hours. The limescale had melted away completely, leaving
a pristine white bowl as if it were brand-new.

Oh, and I put the turkey baster in the garage with a label on it "not
for food use".

Spirits of salts is cheaper.

Colin Bignell

Moving to a soft water area may be even more cost effective, if he's
in London. ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 14:56:37 +0000, MM wrote:

Pushed out as much water from the bowl as possible by repeatedly
plunging the toilet brush down it.

Drained the residual water using a turkey baster (about 5 minutes).

Oh, and I put the turkey baster in the garage with a label on it "not
for food use".

No fun in that ,leave it and the loo brush in the dishwasher for the
missus to find.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2013 14:56, MM wrote:
I've been battling with limescale build-up for years. Then I saw the
Mr Muscle product in Willo and bought a bottle. Here's what I did:

Pushed out as much water from the bowl as possible by repeatedly
plunging the toilet brush down it.

Drained the residual water using a turkey baster (about 5 minutes).

Dried the bowl with industrial floor wipe.

Squirted a good 1/3 of the bottle all over the limescale.

Left it for 6 hours. The limescale had melted away completely, leaving
a pristine white bowl as if it were brand-new.

Oh, and I put the turkey baster in the garage with a label on it "not
for food use".

MM

I think it's the method rather than the product that's led to your
success. In my experience, Tesco's own brand limescale remover is more
effective than Mr Muscle's.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
I've been battling with limescale build-up for years. Then I saw the
Mr Muscle product in Willo and bought a bottle. Here's what I did:

Pushed out as much water from the bowl as possible by repeatedly
plunging the toilet brush down it.

Drained the residual water using a turkey baster (about 5 minutes).

Dried the bowl with industrial floor wipe.

Squirted a good 1/3 of the bottle all over the limescale.

Left it for 6 hours. The limescale had melted away completely, leaving
a pristine white bowl as if it were brand-new.

Oh, and I put the turkey baster in the garage with a label on it "not
for food use".

One day you'll make someone a lovely wife
--
Dave Baker
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:56:37 PM UTC, MM wrote:
I've been battling with limescale build-up for years. Then I saw the

Mr Muscle product in Willo and bought a bottle. Here's what I did:

MM

You are that tedious, shouty Barry Scott ****** and I claim my £5.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 09:32:18 +0000, Another Dave
wrote:

Oh, and I put the turkey baster in the garage with a label on it "not
for food use".

MM

I think it's the method rather than the product that's led to your
success. In my experience, Tesco's own brand limescale remover is more
effective than Mr Muscle's.

Another Dave

We've been watching Obsessive Compulsive cleaners (On last night, no
idea what channel but probably ch4) and it's insane.
They show people who use several litres of bleach a day cleaning their
houses and then take them to scruff-holes and they get to clean there.

It is actually quite amusing - if you like seeing how other people
live. The show house style is quite scary, and it seems most of the
cleaning obsessives have jobs and fit in 16+ hours of cleaning around
their job too.
Although one lady in last nights gave up her banking job to set up a
cleaning company.

Last week I think it was there was a lady who cleaned her toilet by
emptying it out and then scrubbing it excessively everywhere.

It's punctuated by some 'germ-o-phobes' who get to go out to places
and do swab testing of things to see whether they are below the food
hygeine standard of 500 (whatever per whatever).
They looked at taxis last week and a bowling alley and bar this week
and I think all had very low readings. Apart from the stem of the
glass which was quite high really although below the 500 limit.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2013 14:01, mogga wrote:

Last week I think it was there was a lady who cleaned her toilet by
emptying it out and then scrubbing it excessively everywhere.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I merely meant that Mr Muscle (which
is expensive) isn't any better than cheap stuff. I certainly don't find
it necessary to empty the toilet bowl to clean it.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 03/12/2013 14:56, MM wrote:
[...]

Well, although I didn't say in my first post that I had tried other
products, I *had* tried toilet cleaners (though not specifically
*limescale* destroyers) from: Tesco, Sainsbury's and Asda. All got the
bowl ~somewhat~ clean, but I have to admit, I did NOT completely dry
the bowl BEFORE applying those alternative products. Had I done so,
yes, I may have received exactly the same result.

But my feeling is that the Mr Muscle product is a different
formulation and is specifically (says so on the bottle) a limescale
*destroyer*.

Anyway, it'll be months before I need it again.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

[...]

Well, do you touch the toilet door handle in a public convenience
stall? I don't! I hold it to pull the door open with a sheet of loo
paper as a protective.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 16:25:04 +0000, Another Dave
wrote:

On 04/12/2013 14:01, mogga wrote:

Last week I think it was there was a lady who cleaned her toilet by
emptying it out and then scrubbing it excessively everywhere.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I merely meant that Mr Muscle (which
is expensive) isn't any better than cheap stuff. I certainly don't find
it necessary to empty the toilet bowl to clean it.

Another Dave

Oh last weeks woman would only buy big name bleaches...

2-3L a day is a bit excessive though?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2013 09:34, Dave Baker wrote:
MM wrote:
I've been battling with limescale build-up for years. Then I saw the
Mr Muscle product in Willo and bought a bottle. Here's what I did:

Pushed out as much water from the bowl as possible by repeatedly
plunging the toilet brush down it.

Drained the residual water using a turkey baster (about 5 minutes).

Dried the bowl with industrial floor wipe.

Squirted a good 1/3 of the bottle all over the limescale.

Left it for 6 hours. The limescale had melted away completely, leaving
a pristine white bowl as if it were brand-new.

Oh, and I put the turkey baster in the garage with a label on it "not
for food use".

One day you'll make someone a lovely wife

In which case the turkey baster might come out again, but for its other
non-food use...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2013 14:56, MM wrote:
I've been battling with limescale build-up for years. Then I saw the
Mr Muscle product in Willo and bought a bottle. Here's what I did:

Pushed out as much water from the bowl as possible by repeatedly
plunging the toilet brush down it.

Drained the residual water using a turkey baster (about 5 minutes).

Wet and dry vacuum cleaner, about five seconds for the whole job.

Dried the bowl with industrial floor wipe.

Squirted a good 1/3 of the bottle all over the limescale.

Left it for 6 hours. The limescale had melted away completely, leaving
a pristine white bowl as if it were brand-new.

Oh, and I put the turkey baster in the garage with a label on it "not
for food use".

MM

Agreed there is a psychological barrier, but half an hour in dilute
bleach would sterilise it.

There's far more bugs on the average steering wheel, touch screen, or
chopping board than on a loo seat!.