Pablo

Default How Do I Use a Heavy Duty Redidriva

I've got myself some Heavy Duty RediDrivas from screwfix. How do I use them?
Do I drill a hole first then screw in the base then the screw?

http://tinyurl.com/vdu1

BillR

Pablo wrote:
I've got myself some Heavy Duty RediDrivas from screwfix. How do I
use them? Do I drill a hole first then screw in the base then the
screw?

No
http://tinyurl.com/vdu1

These are for plasterboard. The base is screwed in using a posi screwdriver,
see the point on one end of the swivel bit? it cuts its own hole.
The ones I bought had instructions ...

In uk.d-i-y, Pablo wrote:
I've got myself some Heavy Duty RediDrivas from screwfix. How do I use them?
Do I drill a hole first then screw in the base then the screw?

You don't have to - the pointed bit on the end will cut its own hole.
But I find it handy to drill a pilot hole with a small (5mm say) masonry
bit. Firstly, I find a masonry bit more controllable (no hammer action
for plasterboard, of course!) than the RediDriva; secondly it lets me
be sure what's behind the plasterboard - empty space, in which case the
RediDriva is the fixing I want, or a stud, in which case a longish
woodscrew straight into the wood is more appropriate. (You can feel the
difference right away between the masonry bit going through the plasterboard
and coming into free space, versus hitting wood behind - since masonry
bits aren't sharp enough to go through wood easily). Don't push hard on
your drill if you do this - you don't want to tear big pieces of plaster
away from the back of the plasterboard as the drill comes through, since
you want the plasterboard as intact as possible to hold the RediDriva.

HTH, Stefek

Attaching a heavy digital piano to a wall Marcos Scriven UK diy 7 September 12th 03 09:36 PM
Stamp Duty Phil Norman UK diy 65 August 22nd 03 05:00 PM
Stamp Duty update Phil Norman UK diy 3 August 16th 03 11:48 PM