DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Speed awareness courses (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/363633-ot-speed-awareness-courses.html)

ARW November 2nd 13 09:25 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

--
Adam

Adrian C November 2nd 13 09:36 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Ah, you too?

They nab folks in for doing an accurate 34 to 38, stick yer in a
classroom and subject ye to a lighthearted powerpoint presention. If
above 38, you wouldn't have been offered the course, just the fine/points.

Very good course though, and the entertaining presentation here in
hertfordshire was a bit like going to the comedy club down the local pub
but without the alcohol.

Me watching the speedo and road signs like a hawk.

--
Adrian C

Gefreiter Krueger November 2nd 13 09:41 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

You must have some right *******s around there. Nobody here has ever been done for less than 10 over the limit. And I've often got away with more than that - once it was 95 in a 70!

--
Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe - Frank Zappa

Road_Hog[_4_] November 2nd 13 09:48 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:41:10 AM UTC, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 09:25:29 -0000, ARW wrote:

It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on

Thursday that I had been caught.

You must have some right *******s around there. Nobody here has ever been done for less than 10 over the limit. And I've often got away with more than that - once it was 95 in a 70!

It's all aabout the money. ACPO set up the courses and then ACPO recommended that people start being sent on them. ACPO are a private company.

Gefreiter Krueger November 2nd 13 09:50 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 09:48:41 -0000, Road_Hog wrote:

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 9:41:10 AM UTC, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 09:25:29 -0000, ARW wrote:

It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on

Thursday that I had been caught.

You must have some right *******s around there. Nobody here has ever been done for less than 10 over the limit. And I've often got away with more than that - once it was 95 in a 70!

It's all aabout the money. ACPO set up the courses and then ACPO recommended that people start being sent on them. ACPO are a private company.

I guess they didn't tell the pigs here then. This lot are probably just lazy, can't be bothered with the paperwork.

--
You can listen to thunder after lightning to tell how close you came to getting hit. If you don't hear it never mind.

tony sayer November 2nd 13 11:38 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

In article , Adrian C
scribeth thus
On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Ah, you too?

They nab folks in for doing an accurate 34 to 38, stick yer in a
classroom and subject ye to a lighthearted powerpoint presention. If
above 38, you wouldn't have been offered the course, just the fine/points.

Very good course though, and the entertaining presentation here in
hertfordshire was a bit like going to the comedy club down the local pub
but without the alcohol.

Me watching the speedo and road signs like a hawk.

They advised my missus, 35 in a 30 zone, to drive around in Third gear
all the time;!..

And shes been droning on sanctimoniously moaning about that since..

--
Tony Sayer

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 2nd 13 01:08 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/13 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

do what I did: ignore it. (similar speeds: I THOUGHT it was a 40...)

They said 'you will be reported to the police'

I may have well been, but the police didn't act.

In reality they make no money from reporting you to the police, so they
don't bother.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Roger Mills[_2_] November 2nd 13 02:38 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Is there any point in attending these rather than paying the fine and
taking the points?

The original idea seemed to be that, by attending the course, you would
avoid the points - and any insurance implications.

But most insurance companies now want to know that you have attended the
course - so there's no longer any advantage, unless you're in danger of
being a "totter".
--
Cheers,
Roger

The Medway Handyman November 2nd 13 02:59 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are
like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone.
I knew on

Thursday that I had been caught.

You must have some right *******s around there. Nobody here has
ever been done for less than 10 over the limit. And I've often got
away with more than that - once it was 95 in a 70!

It's all aabout the money. ACPO set up the courses and then ACPO
recommended that people start being sent on them. ACPO are a private
company.

That makes sense. I went on one a few weeks ago, 23 people at £85 a pop
- £1955 revenue. Deduct 2 'driver trainers' wages for an afternoon, hire
of a room, tea & coffee & a bit of course material - somebody is on a
nice little earner....

The Medway Handyman November 2nd 13 03:04 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Went on one a couple of weeks ago. 23 of us hardened criminals, mostly
middle aged, fair few OAP's.

First thing is - unless you toe the line & nod in all the right places -
you fail the course. Second thing, they won't discuss the rights &
wrongs of cameras or limits - it's a taboo subject. Think of 1984.

You get tea & biscuits, 2 fag breaks, a free pen & copy of the highway
code - and patronised for 4 hours.

Basically a load of old ********.

ARW November 2nd 13 03:19 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/11/13 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I
knew on Thursday that I had been caught.

do what I did: ignore it. (similar speeds: I THOUGHT it was a 40...)

They said 'you will be reported to the police'

I may have well been, but the police didn't act.

In reality they make no money from reporting you to the police, so
they don't bother.

********. I had a trip to S****horpe magistrates last year for "ignoring" a
NIP. I actually never received it as it was posted next door and no-one was
living there at the time. I got the failure to supply the drivers details
(that a 6 pointer) dropped and got away with a £65 for speeding (plus £40
costs and £15 victim surcharge)

--
Adam

Apellation Controlee November 2nd 13 03:22 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 15:04:14 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Went on one a couple of weeks ago. 23 of us hardened criminals, mostly
middle aged, fair few OAP's.

First thing is - unless you toe the line & nod in all the right places -
you fail the course. Second thing, they won't discuss the rights &
wrongs of cameras or limits - it's a taboo subject. Think of 1984.

You get tea & biscuits, 2 fag breaks, a free pen & copy of the highway
code - and patronised for 4 hours.

Basically a load of old ********.

I should think I can match you for cynicism but, in the interests of
balance, this wasn't my experience last year in Preston.
It was a relaxed, good-humoured session and we were encouraged to
discuss the issues. In return we got explanations of why roads are
marked the way they are (e.g. why some bends have conspicuous markings
and some don't), speed limit policies, camera positioning, & so on,
and the bottom line that, whatever we think of it, it's the law so we
have to live with it.
I don't think it's altered how I drive but it was a pleasant enough
half-day and there wasn't a suggestion of censure in the attitude of
the presenters..

BruceB[_3_] November 2nd 13 03:38 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

In article ,
says...

wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

On the couple I have done it seemed a nice little earner for the ex-
policemen and their wives.

The Medway Handyman November 2nd 13 03:54 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

Cost me £85 for the course & £100 in lost takings.

Roger Mills[_2_] November 2nd 13 04:26 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't it have been better just to have paid a £60 fine?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Andrew Gabriel November 2nd 13 04:32 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

In article ,
The Medway Handyman writes:
Cost me £85 for the course & £100 in lost takings.

Had to drive around twice as fast for a week, to make that back up again?
;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

ARW November 2nd 13 04:41 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

Apellation Controlee wrote:
I don't think it's altered how I drive but it was a pleasant enough
half-day and there wasn't a suggestion of censure in the attitude of
the presenters..

I find the bit about it not altering the way you drive interesting. I know
several people who have attended the course. One of them came back with the
statement "if there are streetlights then it IS a 30MPH limit end of".
Another announced that the speed limit on a dual carriage is 60MPH!

I just wonder if a lot of it is dumbed down. I always know the speed limit,
I just choose to ignore it where conditions allow. In fact on housing
estates I always do 20mph even if the limit is 30.

And not one person I know that has attended a course has said that it was
patronising or a waste of time.

--
Adam

Brian Gaff November 2nd 13 05:07 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

Funny about this, a friend has a Morris Minor, and he swears that if he
keeps exactly the same speed on a flat road the speedo hand wobbles for
more than five mph each side all the time.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Adrian November 2nd 13 05:55 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 17:07:39 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Funny about this, a friend has a Morris Minor, and he swears that if he
keeps exactly the same speed on a flat road the speedo hand wobbles for
more than five mph each side all the time.

New speedo cable required.

Adrian November 2nd 13 06:00 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 16:41:46 +0000, ARW wrote:

I find the bit about it not altering the way you drive interesting. I
know several people who have attended the course. One of them came back
with the statement "if there are streetlights then it IS a 30MPH limit
end of". Another announced that the speed limit on a dual carriage is
60MPH!

I just wonder if a lot of it is dumbed down.

No, the dumbing-down was probably only the attendees themselves,
remembering selectively.

John Williamson November 2nd 13 06:51 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 17:07:39 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Funny about this, a friend has a Morris Minor, and he swears that if he
keeps exactly the same speed on a flat road the speedo hand wobbles for
more than five mph each side all the time.

New speedo cable required.

Or a spot of the gearbox oil has got into the head. That's what was
causing it on mine.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Adrian[_9_] November 2nd 13 07:32 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Funny about this, a friend has a Morris Minor, and he swears that if he
keeps exactly the same speed on a flat road the speedo hand wobbles for
more than five mph each side all the time.
Brian

My Land Rover used to do that (and worse). Turned out that the drive
worm on the back of the gear box was working loose when it warmed up.
Drop of locktite cured that one.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

[email protected] November 2nd 13 07:42 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

BruceB wrote:
On the couple I have done it seemed a nice little earner for the ex-
policemen and their wives.

And their wives?

Are the biscuits home made?

Owain

Apellation Controlee November 2nd 13 08:37 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:41:46 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

Apellation Controlee wrote:
I don't think it's altered how I drive but it was a pleasant enough
half-day and there wasn't a suggestion of censure in the attitude of
the presenters..

I find the bit about it not altering the way you drive interesting. I know
several people who have attended the course. One of them came back with the
statement "if there are streetlights then it IS a 30MPH limit end of".
Another announced that the speed limit on a dual carriage is 60MPH!

I just wonder if a lot of it is dumbed down. I always know the speed limit,
I just choose to ignore it where conditions allow. In fact on housing
estates I always do 20mph even if the limit is 30.

And not one person I know that has attended a course has said that it was
patronising or a waste of time.

Don't assume from what I said that I go tear-arsing around all the
time. That's not the case - like you I use my own judgment and often
go slower than the limit if I decide it's appropriate.

The Medway Handyman November 2nd 13 09:18 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

And 3 points. Got caught by a scamera 6 mths ago & just paid the fine.

Roger Mills[_2_] November 2nd 13 10:20 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/2013 16:26, Roger Mills wrote:

Cost me £85 for the course & £100 in lost takings.

Wouldn't it have been better just to have paid a £60 fine?

And 3 points. Got caught by a scamera 6 mths ago & just paid the fine.

Yes, you obviously can't afford too many points - unless you've got
someone to give them to, like Chris Huhne!

Do you take any obvious precautions (apart from not breaking the speed
limit!) like using a GPS which warns you of camera locations?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Vir Campestris November 2nd 13 10:29 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

Apart from me :-)

And me. And it hasn't changed the way I drive - I wasn't concentrating,
as I was late home from work when we were running late on a project, and
I knew I had to be off work the next day. A guy coming the other way
passed a parked car, aimed carefully at me and turned his lights on.
This put me off, and I didn't slow down the way I normally do at that place.

And the reason I was off the next day? My father's funeral.

Andy

The Medway Handyman November 3rd 13 09:25 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/2013 22:20, Roger Mills wrote:
On 02/11/2013 16:26, Roger Mills wrote:

Cost me £85 for the course & £100 in lost takings.

Wouldn't it have been better just to have paid a £60 fine?

And 3 points. Got caught by a scamera 6 mths ago & just paid the fine.

Yes, you obviously can't afford too many points - unless you've got
someone to give them to, like Chris Huhne!

Do you take any obvious precautions (apart from not breaking the speed
limit!) like using a GPS which warns you of camera locations?

What annoys me, is that I never drive at a speed inappropriate for the
road & conditions - and I generally do keep to the limit.

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 09:27 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/13 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I
knew on Thursday that I had been caught.

do what I did: ignore it. (similar speeds: I THOUGHT it was a 40...)

They said 'you will be reported to the police'

I may have well been, but the police didn't act.

In reality they make no money from reporting you to the police, so
they don't bother.

********. I had a trip to S****horpe magistrates last year for "ignoring" a
NIP. I actually never received it as it was posted next door and no-one was
living there at the time. I got the failure to supply the drivers details
(that a 6 pointer) dropped and got away with a £65 for speeding (plus £40
costs and £15 victim surcharge)

Don't they make you sign for the letter?

--
Bikini e pareo, camicia di pizzo e shorts, top e gonna di crochet!

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 09:28 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:38:57 -0000, Roger Mills wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Is there any point in attending these rather than paying the fine and
taking the points?

The original idea seemed to be that, by attending the course, you would
avoid the points - and any insurance implications.

But most insurance companies now want to know that you have attended the
course - so there's no longer any advantage, unless you're in danger of
being a "totter".

Half of my insurance companies never asked for points, the others didn't check :-)

--
Bikini e pareo, camicia di pizzo e shorts, top e gonna di crochet!

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 09:29 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

Oh dear. You have hereby been brainwashed. Seek psychiatric help immediately.

--
Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the creator of human intelligence.

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 09:30 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 09:25:30 -0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 02/11/2013 22:20, Roger Mills wrote:
On 02/11/2013 16:26, Roger Mills wrote:

Cost me £85 for the course & £100 in lost takings.

Wouldn't it have been better just to have paid a £60 fine?

And 3 points. Got caught by a scamera 6 mths ago & just paid the fine.

Yes, you obviously can't afford too many points - unless you've got
someone to give them to, like Chris Huhne!

Do you take any obvious precautions (apart from not breaking the speed
limit!) like using a GPS which warns you of camera locations?

What annoys me, is that I never drive at a speed inappropriate for the
road & conditions - and I generally do keep to the limit.

The law is nothing about safety though.

--
5 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Scalextric cars.

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 09:33 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 16:41:46 -0000, ARW wrote:

Apellation Controlee wrote:
I don't think it's altered how I drive but it was a pleasant enough
half-day and there wasn't a suggestion of censure in the attitude of
the presenters..

I find the bit about it not altering the way you drive interesting. I know
several people who have attended the course. One of them came back with the
statement "if there are streetlights then it IS a 30MPH limit end of".

Well that used to be the case, now they **** about with those stupid twenties. I guess they think kids are more retarded nowadays.

Another announced that the speed limit on a dual carriage is 60MPH!

It usually is.

I just wonder if a lot of it is dumbed down. I always know the speed limit,
I just choose to ignore it where conditions allow. In fact on housing
estates I always do 20mph even if the limit is 30.

I do 40 when it says 20, just to annoy the folk living there. And if there's speed bumps, I do 40, 1, 40, 1, 40, 1, in a low gear.

--
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. It's because I hate plants.

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 09:33 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 17:07:39 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Funny about this, a friend has a Morris Minor,

IRTA "Morris Dancer".

--
Condoms aren't completely safe. A friend of mine was wearing one and got hit by a bus.

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 09:33 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 17:07:39 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Funny about this, a friend has a Morris Minor, and he swears that if he
keeps exactly the same speed on a flat road the speedo hand wobbles for
more than five mph each side all the time.

Take the average, get a GPS, or ignore your speed.

--
My schoolmates would make love to anything that moved, but I never saw any reason to limit myself. - Emo Phillips

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 09:42 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 09:40:48 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Gefreiter Krueger
wrote:

I do, and have had a clean license ever since.

Licence.

Silly pedant, they mean precisely the same.

--
There are 2 kinds of people in this world. Those that want to get ahead, and those that just want to get head.

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 09:43 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Is there any point in attending these rather than paying the fine and
taking the points?

The original idea seemed to be that, by attending the course, you would
avoid the points - and any insurance implications.

But most insurance companies now want to know that you have attended the
course - so there's no longer any advantage, unless you're in danger of
being a "totter".

Half of my insurance companies never asked for points, the others didn't check :-)

I think you may be obliged by law to tell them, not sure tho.

Like that would make me do it. I broke the sped limit, why follow the law for this?

In any case, it would provide an excuse for them to invalidate your insurance.

It doesn't seem to. I don't think they check. I've had a number of claims against me, and they've never made a fuss. Maybe they can't if it's a third party claim - I've never made a claim myself.

What does their small print say?

I never read smallprint, I only speak English.

--
There are 2 kinds of people in this world. Those that want to get ahead, and those that just want to get head.

Apellation Controlee November 3rd 13 09:45 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/13 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I
knew on Thursday that I had been caught.

do what I did: ignore it. (similar speeds: I THOUGHT it was a 40...)

They said 'you will be reported to the police'

I may have well been, but the police didn't act.

In reality they make no money from reporting you to the police, so
they don't bother.

********. I had a trip to S****horpe magistrates last year for "ignoring" a
NIP. I actually never received it as it was posted next door and no-one was
living there at the time. I got the failure to supply the drivers details
(that a 6 pointer) dropped and got away with a £65 for speeding (plus £40
costs and £15 victim surcharge)

Don't they make you sign for the letter?

They go on the principle that the act of posting is proof of delivery.