DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Speed awareness courses (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/363633-ot-speed-awareness-courses.html)

SteveW[_2_] November 13th 13 06:10 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 13/11/2013 15:23, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:17:10 -0000, SteveW
wrote:

On 13/11/2013 12:07, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 23:26:42 -0000, SteveW
wrote:

On 05/11/2013 11:42, tony sayer wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 12:05:34 -0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

lower

Can't think of any around here either.

Who will come of worse between a tractor and a car?

A large rabbit or even a pheasant can take out a headlight or smash a
radiator grill. A sheep would probably cause serious damage, roe deer
have long thin legs so will tend to get scooped up and have a good go
at coming through the windscreen. A red deer, probably will come
through the windscreen, you might survive...

Mate of mine had a new "ish" BMW written off by a wayward horse!..

A cow derailed a train once;!... 13 dead and 61 injured..

I remember that. I think that there was a bit of a fuss at the time as
the train was being run push-pull - pulled as normal to one end of the
line and pushed back to save moving the loco to the other end. I don't
know if that was to save time, effort or of there were no facilities
for
running round the train at one or both ends of the line.

You mean it was being driven with no forward view?

Locomotives normally have the facility to be coupled together and
controlled from the cab of the leading one (multiple working) allowing
one driver to control multiple locomotives. In push-pull working, the
leading carriage has a cab built into it and the train is driven from
there when in push mode. Similar to the old 1950s Diesel Multiple Units
(DMUs) where one carriage had a pair of diesels under the floor and a
cab at one end and the other just had the cab and no engines.

So why was a fuss made?

It was considered that the much lower axle weight of a carriage compared
to a locomotive made it more likely to derail when hitting an
obstruction and hence always leading with the locomotive is safer -
basically something getting jammed between the sleepers and the bottom
of the carriage or between wheel and track is less likely to lift a
heavy locomotive high enough for the wheel flanges to slip over the top
of the rail.

Having just read the report referred to by another poster, it was
considered too expensive to increase the axle loading of the leading
carriage and that to get it to a similar level as a locomotive, it'd
require entirely new driving carriages for each train. A much cheaper
alternative of adding a guard to try and prevent obstructions getting
under the carriage or wheels and lifting it was added instead although
its effects are far mor limited.

SteveW

SteveW[_2_] November 13th 13 06:11 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 13/11/2013 16:23, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 16:12:49 +0000, SteveW wrote:

She is actually perfectly capable of dealing with things beyond what
she'll meet, but is stressed by knowing in advance that she's going to a
new area, far more so with someone observing her. That's one of the
reasons for not driving the first trip somewhere herself - assessment of
new patients usually requires two staff and a new area and feeling that
a collegue is observing her would be too close to a driving test, hence
let them drive her to a new patient rather than the other way round!
She'd She has enough stress in her life and there is no reason to add to
it.

Over the years I have done numerous exams and the only ones I have been
nervous about while doing them are the driving test, observed practicals
and presentations - it's not the pressure of the exams that is the
problem, it's the pressure of having someone watching you. Many people
would fail unnecessarily, just due to that.

WTF is her reaction if a TrafPol car happens to follow her?

Why should that be a problem? Having someone sat next to you and
watching your every movement, even your eye movements is far, far worse.

SteveW

Gefreiter Krueger November 13th 13 06:19 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

[...]

They should electrify the rails to discourage cows :-)

--
Seen on a tap in a Finnish washroom:
To stop the drip, turn cock to right.

ARW November 13th 13 08:00 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

"SteveW" wrote in message
On 11/11/2013 20:35, ARW wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:48:40 +0000, ARW wrote:

I rather suspect attendance on an SAC would only reinforce my long-
standing belief in the need for regular re-testing of all drivers...

Oh, good! I am happy to report that I'll get to find out soon...
mutter

You have the NIP or have you just been filmed:-).

The very friendly Dayglo-clad man hidden in a hedge told me, once he'd
put his hairdryer down.

If I get the offer I will attend the SAC course. If only to prove your
working hypothesis about re-testing of all drivers. What do you think -
a re-test every 10 years? I would be happy to re-test.

I don't like the idea of a re-test. I have done one myself (I was training
to be a driving instructor when I was unemployed, but then found work in
my normal line). The reason I don't like it is that I know that many
people who get nervous would fail unfairly. I know my wife would fail and
that would mean her losing her job, depite the fact that she is actually a
very good and safe driver (I get very uncomfortable as a passenger with
most other drivers). She would simply panic. She is very nervous about
driving anywhere she doesn't know, but perfectly capable of driving where
she needs for work, because it is all in a limited area that she knows. If
she needs to go somewhere new, she travels with a colleague for the first
visit or gets me to take her in after work. She knows her limits and
sticks within them.

Then she needs to employ the services of a driving instructor (friendly folk
but not free). The driving test did alter a few years ago and introduced a
bit where the driver had to make their own decisions where to go
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11462155

And all I got last Thursday was a yellow sign saying "A11 to A12 N Bound
slip road closed at Bow use alternative route". No diversions were given,
there was just that sign. Time for the map book as the Sat Nav is a waste of
space in London. I just diverted up Grove Road and joined the A12 here.

--
Adam

---

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 14th 13 12:13 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:04:44 +0000, alan wrote:

I've been stuck at a level crossing for five minutes BEFORE any sign of
a train. If this is common is it any wonder why people think they have a
large margin of safety when jumping lights.

Have you any idea how long it takes a proper train not a few multiple
units to stop? I was on a 125 on the GWR, it wasn't going flat out
but probably over 100 mph, Suddenly the brakes came on, they didn't
ease on like they normally do. Then they came on a bit harder,
definate braking sensation and that distinctive odour started to
creep into the compartment. Then harder again, I was in a forward
facing seat and had to stiffen my back against the braking. The noise
and vibration was a little worrying, this train was trying really
very hard to stop. Then they eased off and we were down to maybe 10
mph. To get down to that speed took a good couple of minutes, we
crawled along for a couple more and then went across a level
crossing. Never found out the reason but I suspect something had not
gone right with closing the barriers or some twonk had jumped 'em.

--
Cheers
Dave.