DIYbanter

DIYbanter (http://www.diybanter.com/)
-   UK diy (http://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/)
-   -   OT Speed awareness courses (http://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/363633-ot-speed-awareness-courses.html)

Gefreiter Krueger November 6th 13 10:22 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 21:10:23 -0000, bert ] wrote:

In message , Gefreiter Krueger
writes
On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 19:27:18 -0000, John Williamson
wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 18:11:35 -0000, bert ] wrote:

In message , Tim Lamb
writes

BOATS and vehicles using them are subject to all rules and regs as per
normal

BOATS?

Byways Open to All Traffic, as stated in an earlier post in the thread.

Oh, stupid acronym, presumably made up by someone with a warped sense
of humour.
I didn't read that post.
I thought you meant:
http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads...at-on-road.jpg

Very common acronym used on OS maps along with RUPPs

Never seen those. Just colour coded roads with whole words describing them in the key at the side.

--
Mental Health Outsourcing -- I was depressed last night so I called Lifeline. I got a call centre in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal. They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

John Williamson November 6th 13 10:24 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 18:11:35 -0000, bert ] wrote:

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message o.uk,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 12:05:34 -0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

lower

Can't think of any around here either.

Umm.. curious situation here. Lane becoming a *Byway open to all
traffic* linking between two B classified roads. One end is inside a
30mph limit the other (Byway) outside ie 60mph.

BOATS and vehicles using them are subject to all rules and regs as per
normal

BOATS?

Byways Open to All Traffic, as stated in an earlier post in the thread.

Oh, stupid acronym, presumably made up by someone with a warped sense
of humour.
I didn't read that post.
I thought you meant:
http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads...at-on-road.jpg

Very common acronym used on OS maps along with RUPPs

As the lootenant claims to live North of the border, he may not have
seen the signs, or seen the designation on a map, as there is no
requirement to put signs up telling you there's a right of way in Scotland.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Gefreiter Krueger November 7th 13 11:14 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 21:17:51 -0000, bert ] wrote:

In message , Gefreiter Krueger
writes
On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 19:49:15 -0000, Apellation Controlee
wrote:

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 19:14:02 +0000, bert ] wrote:

In message , Apellation
Controlee writes
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:21:35 -0000, "Gefreiter Krueger"
wrote:

Not such an uncommon eventuality, I would have thought.
You didn't call one a pleb by any chance?

No, but the episode led to me being interviewed, which turned into me
making a statement, at the conclusion of which, after I had signed it,
I was given the "anything you say" routine.

What happens if you say "****" after that is read out?

Or "knickers"

Several adjectives describing the knickers in detail would make for an amusing court session.

--
It's always funny, until someone gets hurt...
then it's just hilarious.

Gefreiter Krueger November 7th 13 01:45 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 18:11:35 -0000, bert ] wrote:

BOATS?

Byways Open to All Traffic, as stated in an earlier post in the thread.

Oh, stupid acronym, presumably made up by someone with a warped sense
of humour.
I didn't read that post.
I thought you meant:
http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads...at-on-road.jpg

Very common acronym used on OS maps along with RUPPs

As the lootenant claims to live North of the border, he may not have
seen the signs, or seen the designation on a map, as there is no
requirement to put signs up telling you there's a right of way in Scotland.

We're more civilised than you lot.

--
I don't care what they say, I don't think "phone sex" is any fun at all, unless you happen to be in the same booth with her.

Adrian November 10th 13 12:25 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 17:24:44 +0000, Adrian wrote:

I rather suspect attendance on an SAC would only reinforce my long-
standing belief in the need for regular re-testing of all drivers...

Oh, good! I am happy to report that I'll get to find out soon... mutter

ARW November 10th 13 12:48 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 17:24:44 +0000, Adrian wrote:

I rather suspect attendance on an SAC would only reinforce my long-
standing belief in the need for regular re-testing of all drivers...

Oh, good! I am happy to report that I'll get to find out soon... mutter

You have the NIP or have you just been filmed:-).

--
Adam

---

Adrian November 10th 13 02:11 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:48:40 +0000, ARW wrote:

I rather suspect attendance on an SAC would only reinforce my long-
standing belief in the need for regular re-testing of all drivers...

Oh, good! I am happy to report that I'll get to find out soon...
mutter

You have the NIP or have you just been filmed:-).

The very friendly Dayglo-clad man hidden in a hedge told me, once he'd
put his hairdryer down.

SteveW[_2_] November 10th 13 06:32 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 05/11/2013 19:31, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 19:08:06 +0000, bert wrote:

Just because you think it shouldn't be that speed limit doesn't mean
there are no good reasons for it to be there.

When the default urban limit hits the 80th anniversary and the default
dual-carriageway limit the 40th anniversary next year, followed by the
the default extra-urban limit the 50th anniversary in 2015 - without
any review at all in that time, despite massively different road
conditions - it's kinda difficult sometimes to agree with that
argument.

ESPECIALLY when so many roads are having politically lowered limits,
apparently shotgun-style.

But the level of traffic has also increased considerably during the
same time.

Which part of "despite massively different road conditions" did you fail
to read?

Which bit of traffic safety don't you understand - oh none of it.

I think you miss my point - which was that you were just repeating
something in the post you were replying to. But that's beside the point.
I understand road safety just fine. I just don't happen to think that a
relatively random number set before _any_ current driver started to drive
is a good definition of it. I happen to prefer it being the
responsibility of me and the people around me.

Yes, traffic levels have risen. But speed limits should be set for clear
roads.

I don't think you've thought that through.

One of us hasn't, that's true.

Traffic levels are one factor that drivers should take into account when
deciding if the speed limit is an appropriate speed to drive at.

Why should I rely on the competence of other drivers for my personal
safety.

Unless the speed limit can be guaranteed to be a safe and appropriate
speed for ALL traffic and weather conditions, then you already _have_ to,
and always have had to.

So... are you suggesting that the speed limit is always safe and
appropriate? Because, if you are, then I invite you to drive past my
front gate at the speed limit. As regularly as you like. So long as you
don't mind me selling tickets.

OTOH, road surfaces have improved (yes, improved) massively. Vehicle
capabilities have improved massively. Road user perceptions and
expectations have improved massively.

Reaction time - and distance travelled within it - is very much the
same.

Is it? Really?

Look at the number of young drivers esp male being involved in fatal
accidents.

I rather suspect that, in the video-game era, that utterly disproves the
relevance of reaction time. B'sides, look at the HC stopping distances,
and what a small part the thinking time/distance is.

Didn't Top Gear do a test many years ago where they showed that a
Landrover Discovery took longer than the HC stopping distance to stop
from 70 mph and a Porsche 911 took half the official distance, yet we
set the same speed limit for both. Indeed we allow 44 (or is it 48 now)
ton trucks to travel at 56, knowing they haven't a hope in hell of
matching a car's stopping distance.

SteveW

Adrian November 10th 13 07:12 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY

alan November 10th 13 09:04 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 05/11/2013 18:01, bert wrote:

Like the idiots around here who ignore them on level crossings.

But is it as a result of poorly though out safety measures?

I've been stuck at a level crossing for five minutes BEFORE any sign of
a train. If this is common is it any wonder why people think they have a
large margin of safety when jumping lights.

Around my way the council have changed all predestrain crossing lights
times to give a pedestrian what seem half an hour to cross the road and
they have introduced left and right filter lights on all cross road etc.

The result is that there are no longer gaps in traffic for people
attempting to cross other than at a official crossing and many drivers
running the red light in order not to be stuck at a junction for a long
period.