Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cig smoke smell, which paint

Hi folks

What paint would be best to stop walls ponging of cigs? I've been offered Zinnzer coverstain, a 30min drying oil based paint, but no experience with it. Other perhapses include shellac and ali flake wood primer. I'd have got the ali flake stuff but what I'm being offered is solvent based, which would create problems. Any suggestions?

thanks, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Hi folks

What paint would be best to stop walls ponging of cigs? I've been
offered Zinnzer coverstain, a 30min drying oil based paint, but no
experience with it. Other perhapses include shellac and ali flake wood
primer. I'd have got the ali flake stuff but what I'm being offered is
solvent based, which would create problems. Any suggestions?

Have you given the walls a good wash down with sugar soap first - and well
rinsed down? And repeat as necessary?

Snag with the smell is it may be hiding in other places more difficult to
get at.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 12, 2013 3:45:09 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Hi folks
What paint would be best to stop walls ponging of cigs? I've been
offered Zinnzer coverstain, a 30min drying oil based paint, but no
experience with it. Other perhapses include shellac and ali flake wood
primer. I'd have got the ali flake stuff but what I'm being offered is
solvent based, which would create problems. Any suggestions?

Have you given the walls a good wash down with sugar soap first - and well
rinsed down? And repeat as necessary?
Snag with the smell is it may be hiding in other places more difficult to
get at.

Sugar soap will be used, but its pretty bad so I expect it to need more.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Have you given the walls a good wash down with sugar soap first - and
well rinsed down? And repeat as necessary? Snag with the smell is it
may be hiding in other places more difficult to get at.

Sugar soap will be used, but its pretty bad so I expect it to need more.

Pretty well all everything in tobacco smoke is water soluble, so a good
wash should get rid of most of it from hard surfaces.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article , Dave Plowman
(News) wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
Have you given the walls a good wash down with sugar
soap first - and well rinsed down? And repeat as
necessary? Snag with the smell is it may be hiding in
other places more difficult to get at.

Sugar soap will be used, but its pretty bad so I expect
it to need more.

Pretty well all everything in tobacco smoke is water
soluble, so a good wash should get rid of most of it from
hard surfaces.

Then when you think it's all gone, you need to get something
out of the loft . . .

John

--
John Mulrooney

No matter how early you arrive, someone else is in line first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Have you given the walls a good wash down with sugar soap first - and
well rinsed down? And repeat as necessary? Snag with the smell is it
may be hiding in other places more difficult to get at.

Sugar soap will be used, but its pretty bad so I expect it to need more.

Pretty well all everything in tobacco smoke is water soluble, so a good
wash should get rid of most of it from hard surfaces.

Can't wash it off your fingers. ISTR that was the punchline for a
government anti-smoking advert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 12, 2013 11:36:28 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

Have you given the walls a good wash down with sugar soap first - and
well rinsed down? And repeat as necessary? Snag with the smell is it
may be hiding in other places more difficult to get at.

Sugar soap will be used, but its pretty bad so I expect it to need more.

Pretty well all everything in tobacco smoke is water soluble, so a good
wash should get rid of most of it from hard surfaces.

thats good news, the carpet's been thorough;y cleaned.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Have you given the walls a good wash down with sugar soap first - and
well rinsed down? And repeat as necessary? Snag with the smell is it
may be hiding in other places more difficult to get at.

Sugar soap will be used, but its pretty bad so I expect it to need
more.

Pretty well all everything in tobacco smoke is water soluble, so a good
wash should get rid of most of it from hard surfaces.

thats good news, the carpet's been thorough;y cleaned.

NT

I recently painted a room, which literally stank of nicotine, with Wickes
white exterior, oil based undercoat. This included four walls and the
ceiling and all were a light to medium brown colour from the smoke. One
liberal coat, applied with a four inch roller was enough to seal all
surfaces. I didn't bother with sugar soap. I then painted with emulsions of
my choice with no problem. I was concerned that the nicotine would bleed
through the undercoat but it worked a treat! The floor was laminate so I
ran a steam mop over it a couple of times to remove any tobacco smells.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2013 11:06, stuart noble wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Have you given the walls a good wash down with sugar soap first - and
well rinsed down? And repeat as necessary? Snag with the smell is it
may be hiding in other places more difficult to get at.

Sugar soap will be used, but its pretty bad so I expect it to need more.

Pretty well all everything in tobacco smoke is water soluble, so a good
wash should get rid of most of it from hard surfaces.

Can't wash it off your fingers. ISTR that was the punchline for a
government anti-smoking advert

One of the many banned by the ASA?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Last time I used sugar soap it was some kind of abrasive with I guess
added surfactants. Ok for woodwork but not much use on walls.
Bio is pretty weird stuff. Made a right mess of a saw blade I left
soaking in it. Pitted it very badly IIRC

Sugar soap is for washing down painted surfaces. You dissolve it in warm
water. Doesn't much matter what is beneath the paint.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

Last time I used sugar soap it was some kind of abrasive with I guess added surfactants.

Err no. Sugar soap is sodium phosphate or should be but there's been much
mucking about with it over the years. That's why it feels gritty but you're
supposed to dissolve it in warm water.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:21:48 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

I've used cheap bio clothes liquid [or powder] solution, and wash
walls using a soft bristle car brush. Brown rivers of tar running down
the wall... yuck, but strangely satisfying. Normal emulsion went on
fine afterwards.

Interesting. So Dave is wrong about the tar being water soluble then?

I don't know. I'm not going to contradict him - I'm no expert by any
means. Bio solution works v well tho, and with v little effort.

Whichever method... far better to wash the tar/smell off IMO, rather
than covering or sealing it in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2013 18:27, Steve Firth wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

Last time I used sugar soap it was some kind of abrasive with I guess added surfactants.

Err no. Sugar soap is sodium phosphate or should be but there's been much
mucking about with it over the years. That's why it feels gritty but you're
supposed to dissolve it in warm water.

The original tub I had contained TSP and a silicate abrasive, but that
was many moons ago. The current Mangers brand contains mainly bath salts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
The original tub I had contained TSP and a silicate abrasive, but that
was many moons ago. The current Mangers brand contains mainly bath
salts

Elfin Safety or the EU? Both of them seem determined to ban anything That
Just Works.

I've just been using some of Wicks own brand stuff and it works as well as
ever. I can't see why you'd use anything else for cleaning paint prior to
painting.

--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Cigarette smoke smell ? Stephen[_11_] UK diy 6 December 14th 09 09:18 AM
Smell of Smoke Bored Borg Woodworking 32 January 4th 09 11:23 PM
smoke smell in home ap Home Repair 5 October 12th 06 02:25 AM
smoke smell [email protected] Home Ownership 5 December 18th 05 08:39 PM
Help - I smell smoke Steve Woodworking 6 January 5th 05 03:42 PM