DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Weedkiller / root killer (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/360141-weedkiller-root-killer.html)

ss July 19th 13 06:44 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

I am recently re laying some 2 x 3 slabs and replacing some badly laid
concrete with matching slabs, under the concrete there is a network of
roots, mostly fine stuff but a few at a 1cm thickness. What is the best
way to deal with this, ideally one of the weedkillers that will kill it
off and prevent regrowth for as long as possible. The roots belong to
trees/shrubs/ivy which is on the other side of my wall and the roots
have over the years forced their way through onto my land so I cant
attack by spraying the leaves as the shrubs are not my property.

Any ideas

harryagain July 19th 13 07:22 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

"ss" wrote in message
I am recently re laying some 2 x 3 slabs and replacing some badly laid
concrete with matching slabs, under the concrete there is a network of
roots, mostly fine stuff but a few at a 1cm thickness. What is the best
way to deal with this, ideally one of the weedkillers that will kill it off
and prevent regrowth for as long as possible. The roots belong to
trees/shrubs/ivy which is on the other side of my wall and the roots have
over the years forced their way through onto my land so I cant attack by
spraying the leaves as the shrubs are not my property.

Any ideas

Chop them off, dig them out. You need a few inches of
scalpings/chippings/coarse sand under your new slabs anyway.
You can put some weedproof fabric down the hole before you put in the
scalpings. Not that is works so good anyway.

If you kill your neighbour's trees with weedkiller you won't be popular.

Brian Gaff July 19th 13 07:38 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

If you kill the plants you could be in trouble with your neighbour. I guess
if they are well established you could cut them off at the boundary, but
trying to stop them growing back is going to mean killing the plants.
Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as

ss July 19th 13 08:11 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 19/07/2013 18:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
If you kill the plants you could be in trouble with your neighbour. I guess
if they are well established you could cut them off at the boundary, but
trying to stop them growing back is going to mean killing the plants.
Brian

It would be classed as common land on the side the tress/shrubs are
growing, its not an adjoining property. If there is some `die back` it
wouldnt be an issue as the maintenance/management company find it a pain
having to come and trim them and are quite happy if we control them
although a complete kill off would cause some concern. The main root
system will be over the wall so what I have, if killed would maybe stunt
them but I doubt if it would kill them.

Phil L July 19th 13 08:38 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

ss wrote:
I am recently re laying some 2 x 3 slabs and replacing some badly laid
concrete with matching slabs, under the concrete there is a network of
roots, mostly fine stuff but a few at a 1cm thickness. What is the
best way to deal with this, ideally one of the weedkillers that will
kill it off and prevent regrowth for as long as possible. The roots
belong to trees/shrubs/ivy which is on the other side of my wall and
the roots have over the years forced their way through onto my land
so I cant attack by spraying the leaves as the shrubs are not my
property.

I've come across this many times...firstly, weedkiller doesn't work on
roots, it has to go in via the leaves, and it doesn't do anything to tree
roots anyway, at least not for many years after the tree is dead.

Best bet is to dig a trench along the wall where the offending plants /
trees are and chop everything off to a depth of a foot or two, then infill
with MOT, also throw a bag of cement in there and mix it up with a spade as
you're spreading it, this will effectively make the wall foundations a bit
more beefed up and hopefully keep the roots away for a decade or two.

Rake over the area you are working on and slice through anything that won't
pull out, then re-lay the slabs as normal

Terry Fields July 19th 13 08:43 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

harryagain wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
[...]

This was discussed some time ago in the legal group. It would appear
that any action that is taken to 'abate the nuisance' is fine, even if
the plant concerned winds up dead. I suggest the OP reposts in the
moderated legal group for more accurate information.

--
Terry Fields

Phil L July 19th 13 08:49 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

Terry Fields wrote:
This was discussed some time ago in the legal group. It would appear
that any action that is taken to 'abate the nuisance' is fine, even if
the plant concerned winds up dead. I suggest the OP reposts in the
moderated legal group for more accurate information.

I wouldn't advocate killing the shrubs in question, nor would it serve any
real purpose, in fact, I'd say it would create another problem for the OP -
if the shrubs die, a year or two down the line the roots will rot away, and
that's when his newly laid patio sinks.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 19th 13 08:59 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 19/07/13 17:44, ss wrote:
I am recently re laying some 2 x 3 slabs and replacing some badly laid
concrete with matching slabs, under the concrete there is a network of
roots, mostly fine stuff but a few at a 1cm thickness. What is the
best way to deal with this, ideally one of the weedkillers that will
kill it off and prevent regrowth for as long as possible. The roots
belong to trees/shrubs/ivy which is on the other side of my wall and
the roots have over the years forced their way through onto my land so
I cant attack by spraying the leaves as the shrubs are not my property.

Any ideas

the best thing to do really is to dig a trench down a few feet at the
property or path boundary, cutting all the roots.

The depth will depend on what the roots are from. Some trees go very
deep. Others are relatively shallow

And fill it with concrete.

It needn't be wide at all.

killing the roots with anything but something that poisons the soil
forever is useless. They will come back.

The concrete wall will imply let the roots inside it die, and prevent
more lateral creep

You MAY be able to simply drive some steel shuttering down instead.

But the trick is to cut the roots and put in a barrier/.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 19th 13 09:00 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 19/07/13 19:38, Phil L wrote:
ss wrote:
[...]

+ 0.5

MOT wont stop roots coming back. Use concrete instead.

ss July 19th 13 10:36 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 19/07/13 17:44, ss wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies so far but to add to my problem ...I have just
built a 40 foot fence along the boundary wall and digging out the post
holes (using a manual auger) was tough going in places mainly due to
stones the roots didnt cause too much of an issue, its probably fair to
say that the roots have been snapped every 6 feet, I got most posts down
between 18-22 inches, having built this and in my 60s this plus moving
some slabs appears to have weakened my back so I wont be digging a
trench hence looking for something to kill the roots my side, most of
the patio area is and will remain intact, the strip where the roots are
is only 13" wide and about 30 feet long but had badly laid concrete
which I have now lifted. As I probably wont be around in 10 years I am
not too concerned if they eventually re appear, the current root
formations havent caused any issues that I can see.
Now I know it cant be bought and it is banned now but would #odium
klorate have done the trick.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 20th 13 09:14 AM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 19/07/13 21:36, ss wrote:
On 19/07/13 17:44, ss wrote:
[...]

hire a mini digger.

The smallest will do.

Phil L July 20th 13 02:03 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 19/07/13 19:38, Phil L wrote:
ss wrote:
[...]

MOT + cement is a fairly strong concrete when it goes off...it would
probably be better concreted, but I mentioned MOT trhinking that he probably
had some on site for his paving

Phil L July 20th 13 02:11 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

ss wrote:
[...]

No.
No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the leaves and down
the stems, IE inside the plant, so you only have a few options, you chop off
what you can and pave over, or you chop off what you can, install a barrier
(concrete-in-a-trench, roof slates, pvc sheeting, steel plates etc) and pave
over, the latter will keep the roots away longer than the former, but I
wouldn't bother anyway if I were you, what difference does it make if
there's a few flimsy roots under the slabs?- they don't sound like they're
big enough to push the slabs around.

don't waste your money on any wonder liquid that promises instant root
destruction, no easy 'solution' exists

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 20th 13 04:43 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 2013-07-20, Phil L wrote:

No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the leaves and down
the stems,

Tosh.

"Sodium chlorate is used as a non-selective herbicide. It is considered
phytotoxic to all green plant parts. It can also kill through root
absorption."

In the day i used tons of that stuff. it simply washed away and plants
came back after a few years.

Phil L July 20th 13 07:44 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 2013-07-20, Phil L wrote:

No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the leaves
and down the stems,

Tosh.

"Sodium chlorate is used as a non-selective herbicide. It is
considered phytotoxic to all green plant parts. It can also kill
through root absorption."

It 'can' kill through root absorption, not *will*, the chances are it would
kill flimsy weeds like grass etc through the roots, hardly likely to have
any effect whatsoever on a tree, unless it was used in industrial amounts,
and obviously, if it was even available at all, which it isn't, which makes
it a moot point.

Phil L July 20th 13 07:47 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 2013-07-20, Phil L wrote:

No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the leaves
and down the stems,

Tosh.

"Sodium chlorate is used as a non-selective herbicide. It is
considered phytotoxic to all green plant parts. It can also kill
through root absorption."

In the day i used tons of that stuff. it simply washed away and plants
came back after a few years.

I used it twice a year on a large paved area infested with horsetail ferns,
applied at double strength through a watering can.
It wilted some of them, killed some of them and some were completely
unnaffected.
I'd apply in spring and pull out everything still growing after a week, then
the same in late summer.
It never got rid of them, even after about 10 treatments

Steve Firth July 20th 13 09:24 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 2013-07-20, Phil L wrote:

No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the leaves
and down the stems,

Tosh.

"Sodium chlorate is used as a non-selective herbicide. It is
considered phytotoxic to all green plant parts. It can also kill
through root absorption."

It 'can' kill through root absorption, not *will*, the chances are it would
kill flimsy weeds like grass etc through the roots, hardly likely to have
any effect whatsoever on a tree, unless it was used in industrial amounts,
and obviously, if it was even available at all, which it isn't, which makes
it a moot point.

For ****s sake, why not just admit that you are wrong?

As well as chlorate there is simazine which is a pre-emergent herbicide.

"the product enters weeds mainly through their roots"

http://www.ospray.com.au/msds/index....ides&Itemid=53

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground

ss July 20th 13 09:46 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 2013-07-20, Phil wrote:

No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the leaves
and down the stems,

Tosh.

"Sodium chlorate is used as a non-selective herbicide. It is
considered phytotoxic to all green plant parts. It can also kill
through root absorption."

It 'can' kill through root absorption, not *will*, the chances are it would
kill flimsy weeds like grass etc through the roots, hardly likely to have
any effect whatsoever on a tree, unless it was used in industrial amounts,
and obviously, if it was even available at all, which it isn't, which makes
it a moot point.

;-) Bear in mind I dont want to kill the trees just stun the growth at
my side of the wall

ss July 20th 13 09:55 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 20/07/2013 20:24, Steve Firth wrote:

On 2013-07-20, Phil wrote:

No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the leaves
and down the stems,

Tosh.

"Sodium chlorate is used as a non-selective herbicide. It is
considered phytotoxic to all green plant parts. It can also kill
through root absorption."

It 'can' kill through root absorption, not *will*, the chances are it would
kill flimsy weeds like grass etc through the roots, hardly likely to have
any effect whatsoever on a tree, unless it was used in industrial amounts,
and obviously, if it was even available at all, which it isn't, which makes
it a moot point.

For ****s sake, why not just admit that you are wrong?

As well as chlorate there is simazine which is a pre-emergent herbicide.

"the product enters weeds mainly through their roots"

http://www.ospray.com.au/msds/index....ides&Itemid=53

Well as its a thin strip and will only take around a couple of gallons
of solution I will rip out what roots I can and then dose the ground
with a mixture of whatever I have of various lawn and pathclear
variants, i`ll make it a strong mixture. Fill in the strip with cut to
size slabs and grout with a strong cement mix.

Phil L July 20th 13 10:07 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

Steve Firth wrote:
For ****s sake, why not just admit that you are wrong?

As well as chlorate there is simazine which is a pre-emergent
herbicide.

"the product enters weeds mainly through their roots"

http://www.ospray.com.au/msds/index....ides&Itemid=53

And where in the uk sells either?

Phil L July 20th 13 10:08 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 2013-07-20, Phil L wrote:

No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the leaves
and down the stems,

Tosh.

"Sodium chlorate is used as a non-selective herbicide. It is
considered phytotoxic to all green plant parts. It can also kill
through root absorption."

It 'can' kill through root absorption, not *will*, the chances are
it would kill flimsy weeds like grass etc through the roots, hardly
likely to have any effect whatsoever on a tree, unless it was used
in industrial amounts, and obviously, if it was even available at
all, which it isn't, which makes it a moot point.

Ah, so when you said "No weedkiller ...", you were lying? As well as
being wrong, that is.

As the group name contains 'uk' I assumed the OP was in this country, and as
it's not available in the uk, perhaps i should have said, no weedkiller
available in the UK?

Steve Firth July 21st 13 03:31 AM

Weedkiller / root killer

Phil L wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
For ****s sake, why not just admit that you are wrong?

As well as chlorate there is simazine which is a pre-emergent
herbicide.

"the product enters weeds mainly through their roots"

http://www.ospray.com.au/msds/index....view=article&i
d=105:simazine-500&catid=34:herbicides&Itemid=53

And where in the uk sells either?

You said, "No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the
leaves and down the stems" You were utterly incorrect to say that.
Simazine is one weedkiller that will kill without "going through the
leaves and down the stems".

So now you're proving that you're the sortof idiot who can't be bothered
to admit when he is wrong and who wants to bull**** and bluster, rather
than to admit that he was wrong.

OK, limiting my options to weedkiller that are available right now in
the UK:

1. Glyphosate does not need to be absorbed through leaves. It can be
applied to stumps and roots and will kill trees stumps and roots. So
even the weedkiller that you probably had in mind does not work as you
imagine. You can buy "Tree Stump Killer" which is glyphosate from Bayer,
in the UK.

2. Flufenacet is a pre-emergent soil herbicide. It is not absorbed via
leaves. It is sold in the UK by several suppliers including Bayer.

3. Metosulam is an emergent soil herbicide, it is absorbed via roots. It
is sold in the UK by Bayer.

4. Pendimethalin, rapidly absorbed by primary roots acts by stopping
their development, doesn't "creep" in soil, probably ideal for the OP's
application. Sold as "Stomp" by BASF in the UK.

You also stated:

"Don't waste your money on any wonder liquid that promises instant root
destruction, no easy 'solution' exists"

You lied. There are a number of herbicides intended to clear roots from
land, these include Bayer Path Weedkiller, Bayer Long Lasting Ground
Clear, Bayer Tree Stump Killer, BASF Stomp. All licenced for use in the
UK.

What's your next wriggle going to be?

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground

Phil L July 21st 13 01:38 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 2013-07-20, Phil L wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
For ****s sake, why not just admit that you are wrong?

As well as chlorate there is simazine which is a pre-emergent
herbicide.

"the product enters weeds mainly through their roots"

http://www.ospray.com.au/msds/index....ides&Itemid=53

And where in the uk sells either?

"No weedkiller ..."

Moron.

Right, right, so the OP can take a short trip to Australia to buy some, then
try to smuggle it into the UK?

Get a ****ing grip.

After a brief search through your posts to this group, it appears you are
another argumentative prick, only here to throw pedantic ****e about and
offer no advice whatsoever to anyone WRT diy....add me to your killfile -
that appears to be your MO when you meet someone with more brain cells than
yourself

Phil L July 21st 13 01:57 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

Steve Firth wrote:
Phil L wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
For ****s sake, why not just admit that you are wrong?

As well as chlorate there is simazine which is a pre-emergent
herbicide.

"the product enters weeds mainly through their roots"

http://www.ospray.com.au/msds/index....view=article&i
d=105:simazine-500&catid=34:herbicides&Itemid=53

And where in the uk sells either?

You said, "No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the
leaves and down the stems" You were utterly incorrect to say that.
Simazine is one weedkiller that will kill without "going through the
leaves and down the stems".

We live in the UK, it's right there in the group name

So now you're proving that you're the sortof idiot who can't be
bothered to admit when he is wrong and who wants to bull**** and
bluster, rather than to admit that he was wrong.

For trees, we're talking about trees, read the op: 'trees/shrubs/ivy' and
don't start throwing insults around

OK, limiting my options to weedkiller that are available right now in
the UK:

1. Glyphosate does not need to be absorbed through leaves. It can be
applied to stumps and roots and will kill trees stumps and roots. So
even the weedkiller that you probably had in mind does not work as you
imagine. You can buy "Tree Stump Killer" which is glyphosate from
Bayer, in the UK.

2. Flufenacet is a pre-emergent soil herbicide. It is not absorbed via
leaves. It is sold in the UK by several suppliers including Bayer.

kills grass and broad leaved weeds, as do:

3. Metosulam is an emergent soil herbicide, it is absorbed via roots.
It is sold in the UK by Bayer.

4. Pendimethalin, rapidly absorbed by primary roots acts by stopping
their development, doesn't "creep" in soil, probably ideal for the
OP's application. Sold as "Stomp" by BASF in the UK.

You also stated:

"Don't waste your money on any wonder liquid that promises instant
root destruction, no easy 'solution' exists"

You lied. There are a number of herbicides intended to clear roots
from land, these include Bayer Path Weedkiller, Bayer Long Lasting
Ground Clear, Bayer Tree Stump Killer, BASF Stomp. All licenced for
use in the UK.

What's your next wriggle going to be?

Clear roots from land? - so if I water a 30ft conifer with it, it'll be dead
next week?

*Instant* root destruction.

The OP isn't going on holiday to Australia to buy weedkiller, nor is he
likely to spend hundreds on weedkiller that won't work, he's already stated
that he's going to rip out the roots, treat the ground and re-lay, unless
you can point me to a weedkiller, available in the uk, that can be watered
on *tree* roots and kill the *tree*, don't bother replying.

Steve Firth July 21st 13 03:47 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

Phil L wrote:

[snip twaddle]

What's your next wriggle going to be?

Clear roots from land? - so if I water a 30ft conifer with it, it'll be dead
next week?

No, if you apply tree stump killer as directed in the instructions then
it will be dead in about 21 days.

*Instant* root destruction.

Not something that the OP asked for. The word "instant" is a weasel word
inserted by an ignorant weasel too ****ing stupid to admit that he was
talking crap.

The OP isn't going on holiday to Australia to buy weedkiller,

No one said that the OP had to go to Australia.

nor is he likely to spend hundreds on weedkiller that won't work,

Weedkillers don't cost "hundreds", your claim that no weedkiler will
work is ********.

he's already stated that he's going to rip out the roots, treat the ground
and re-lay, unless you can point me to a weedkiller, available in the uk,
that can be watered on *tree* roots and kill the *tree*, don't bother
replying.

yawn And you have already shown your ignorance by being unaware of the
meaning of the term broad leaved and your initial ******** that claimed
that weedkillers are only absorbed via leaves. And you're ignoring the
weedkillers that I listed, including glyphosate, that can be watered
onto roots.

Why not just **** off back to tedious lying **** land where you came
from?

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground

Phil L July 21st 13 05:10 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

Steve Firth wrote:
a pile of worthless ****e

Why not just **** off back to tedious lying **** land where you came
from?

I see.
So you're just another useless, know-nothing **** who gets his kicks from
strolling around usenet, pontificating about things you know nothing about,
probably never got your hands dirty in your life, but your an expert on
everything, you contribute **** all to the group, only bobbing your head in
periodically to start an argument, and my guess is that you are a weedy,
henpecked failure, so you have to argue online, because you're too ****
scared to say anything to anyone in real life, get one, you sad, worthless
gob****e.

Steve Firth July 21st 13 09:23 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

Phil L wrote:

I said you can't kill a tree with weedkiller,

No you didn't, you're telling a lie. This is what you said:

"No weedkiller will kill the roots without going through the leaves and
down the stems"

Which is ********.

As is your new statement above. You can kill trees effectively with
glyphosate. I have done so myself killing a Pseudoacacia the roots of
which were doing damage to a pig sty. Since you're Phil Phuckwit, I'll
spell it out for you, Pseudoacacia are buggers to kill. Cut them down
and the root stock suckers and you have tens to hundreds of saplings to
deal with. It's as difficult to kill as elder.

Treating the stump with 150g/L glyphosate (stump killer) killed it dead
and all of the suckers. There was no foliage to absorb the weedkiller.
There was no need for there to be any, your claim was complete and utter
cack. The fact that you have changed your story on every re-telling lets
onlookers know who the worthless **** is here, and in the words of the
National Lottery, "it's you" because you're too ****ing stupid to admit
that you made a mistake, or rather were talking about something of which
you have no knowledge whatsoever.

You've been given numerous chances to back up your claim with fact, and
you haven't done so even once. You have been shown chapter and verse on
herbicides that kill via the roots and on the use of specialist root and
stump killers. You deny the evidence of your own eyes.

You are possibly the biggest ****ing idiot in this group, and given that
you have competition from OneCrap, harry and idiot posting under
numerous pseudonyms you've finally acheived something in your miserable
existence.

whereupon you flew into a blind rage,

yawn Lie.

trawling Australian websites to prove a point,

yawn Lie. I know that simazine doesn't have the mode of action that
you describe. It's a commonly used weedkiller and was aproved for use in
the UK until the weak-kneed idiots in Parliament got knobbled by the
"greens". I've used it myself. I gave a reference to that website
because it specifically lists its mode of action - via the roots.
Something that according to you is not possible (see above).

but instead shown everyone on here that you are indeed the biggest **** in
the group, psst, most of them already knew, but thanks for removing all
doubt, you are a ****** of the highest order, it's just a pity your dad
wasn't.

Bless, you talked crap, you've been called out on the fact and even now
you're not man enough to admit that you were talking ********. That's
most funny.

Go on, tell us again how weedkiller costs "hundreds of pounds" that was
another load of ******** from you that you're too stupid to retract.

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 21st 13 09:32 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 21/07/13 19:55, Phil L wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Bwhahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha

How deliquescent

You dolt. I've forgotten more about agrochemistry than you ever knew.
Not only did I study the biochemistry of herbicides as part of my
degree course I own a farm as well.

Steve: cannabis farms don't count.

Steve Firth July 21st 13 11:43 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 2013-07-21, Phil L wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
a pile of worthless ****e

Why not just **** off back to tedious lying **** land where you came
from?

I see.
So you're just another useless, know-nothing

Hypocritical ****.

Oh don't sell him short. He's a lying hypocritical ****.

I could sit here and iist herbicides that are absorbed through the roots
until I exhausted all known catalogues of agrochemicals and he'd still
claim that his statement was correct.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/

fred[_8_] July 22nd 13 09:52 AM

Weedkiller / root killer

snip

As well as chlorate there is simazine which is a pre-emergent herbicide.

snip

Simazine is no longer available :-(

Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] July 25th 13 01:56 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 02:31:46 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Bayer Tree Stump Killer

A farming trick around here (likely used elsewhere too) is drill a few
1" holes a few inches deep in the stump, fill them with nitrate
fertiliser and leave for a couple of months.
Sceptical of this, I tried it and found it works rather well. Stump
dies right off, rots away nicely.

Steve Firth July 25th 13 02:14 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

wrote:

Bayer Tree Stump Killer

A farming trick around here (likely used elsewhere too) is drill a few
1" holes a few inches deep in the stump, fill them with nitrate
fertiliser and leave for a couple of months.
Sceptical of this, I tried it and found it works rather well. Stump
dies right off, rots away nicely.

That's what we did for the Robinia stump, except I filled the holes with
glyphosate. I've got cherry suckers in the garden that will get similar
treatment this weekend.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/

Rick Hughes[_5_] July 25th 13 02:30 PM

Weedkiller / root killer

On 19/07/2013 17:44, ss wrote:
I am recently re laying some 2 x 3 slabs and replacing some badly laid
concrete with matching slabs, under the concrete there is a network of
roots, mostly fine stuff but a few at a 1cm thickness. What is the best
way to deal with this, ideally one of the weedkillers that will kill it
off and prevent regrowth for as long as possible. The roots belong to
trees/shrubs/ivy which is on the other side of my wall and the roots
have over the years forced their way through onto my land so I cant
attack by spraying the leaves as the shrubs are not my property.

Any ideas

Under my patio, paths & crushed slate areas after levelling I sprinkled
a dusting of BORACIL weedkiller.
Also sold as Bromacil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromacil)
Then terram.

Nothing is going to grow through.