DIY Concrete screws

Old May 27th 13, 06:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Concrete screws

In my local supplier, they have concrete screws...
http://deckrepairhq.com/wp-content/u...ws-150x130.jpg
At three quid a pop.
No wucking fay, am I paying that for a fecking bolt, especially if I
want 12 or more.
I recall a couple of years ago, the same supplier didn't have concrete
bolts, but had these...
http://www.china-tiantian.com/upload...9211551460.jpg
And I'd used a couple of them to see if they bolted into concrete well
enough. They did, so I repeated the experiment today and drove one of
the 3quid screws into its 12mm hole (quite easy) and drove one of the
coach screws into its 10mm hole (a lot tougher) and it held ok.
A pneumatic impact hammer was needed for both, though.

The difference in price? The coach screws are less than a quid each.
Old May 27th 13, 07:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 27, 6:34*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
In my local supplier, they have concrete screws...http://deckrepairhq.com/wp-content/u...rete-Screws-15...
At three quid a pop.
No wucking fay, am I paying that for a fecking bolt, especially if I
want 12 or more.
I recall a couple of years ago, the same supplier didn't have concrete
bolts, but had these...http://www.china-tiantian.com/upload...9211551460.jpg
And I'd used a couple of them to see if they bolted into concrete well
enough. They did, so I repeated the experiment today and drove one of
the 3quid screws into its 12mm hole (quite easy) and drove one of the
coach screws into its 10mm hole (a lot tougher) and it held ok.
A pneumatic impact hammer was needed for both, though.

The difference in price? The coach screws are less than a quid each.

mmm try fixing something worth fixing to the concrete with both types
and share the results?

I;d expect the proper (massively overpriced) concrete screws to cut a
better sharper thread in the concrete and so grip better than a forced
in coach bolt - that, I;d expect, got worn out & mangled during the
"pneumatic impact hammering" stage...

Jim K
Old May 27th 13, 07:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 May 2013 11:20:33 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

mmm try fixing something worth fixing to the concrete with both types
and share the results?

I;d expect the proper (massively overpriced) concrete screws to cut a
better sharper thread in the concrete and so grip better than a forced
in coach bolt - that, I;d expect, got worn out & mangled during the
"pneumatic impact hammering" stage...

Possibly, but the function of the bigger bolts is to take some of the
shear load on their shoulders (it's a wall plate with a dozen joist
hangers). Each larger bolt is neighboured by two smaller ones, which
are cheap as chips and a piece of **** to drive in. So, there's no
shortage of load-sharing and plenty of strength in the assembly as a
whole. I just object to paying through the nose to a supplier who
thinks they can charge what they like for stuff like this.
Old May 27th 13, 08:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
In my local supplier, they have concrete screws...
http://deckrepairhq.com/wp-content/u...ws-150x130.jpg
At three quid a pop.
No wucking fay, am I paying that for a fecking bolt, especially if I
want 12 or more.
I recall a couple of years ago, the same supplier didn't have concrete
bolts, but had these...
http://www.china-tiantian.com/upload...9211551460.jpg
And I'd used a couple of them to see if they bolted into concrete well
enough. They did, so I repeated the experiment today and drove one of
the 3quid screws into its 12mm hole (quite easy) and drove one of the
coach screws into its 10mm hole (a lot tougher) and it held ok.
A pneumatic impact hammer was needed for both, though.

The difference in price? The coach screws are less than a quid each.

I've been using these for years:
http://www.ukfixings.net/7.5mm-x-100...ox-of-100.html
About 8p each.
You can get thicker ones, but I've used the 7.5mm ones for wallplates on
numerous occasions

Old May 27th 13, 09:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2013 18:34, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
In my local supplier, they have concrete screws...
http://deckrepairhq.com/wp-content/u...ws-150x130.jpg
At three quid a pop.
No wucking fay, am I paying that for a fecking bolt, especially if I
want 12 or more.
I recall a couple of years ago, the same supplier didn't have concrete
bolts, but had these...
http://www.china-tiantian.com/upload...9211551460.jpg
And I'd used a couple of them to see if they bolted into concrete well
enough. They did, so I repeated the experiment today and drove one of
the 3quid screws into its 12mm hole (quite easy) and drove one of the
coach screws into its 10mm hole (a lot tougher) and it held ok.
A pneumatic impact hammer was needed for both, though.

The difference in price? The coach screws are less than a quid each.

Big range of Thunderbolts at Toolsatan.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...ors/d90/sd2040

I use these all the time for decking wall plates & awnings. Brilliant.

Old May 27th 13, 09:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2013 19:20, Jim K wrote:
[...]

The concrete screw also has an integral anti-vibration head and is
probably made from a stronger steel.

Colin Bignell

Old May 27th 13, 10:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

mmm try fixing something worth fixing to the concrete with both types
and share the results?

I;d expect the proper (massively overpriced) concrete screws to cut a
better sharper thread in the concrete and so grip better than a forced
in coach bolt - that, I;d expect, got worn out & mangled during the
"pneumatic impact hammering" stage...

Possibly, but the function of the bigger bolts is to take some of the
shear load on their shoulders (it's a wall plate with a dozen joist
hangers). Each larger bolt is neighboured by two smaller ones, which
are cheap as chips and a piece of **** to drive in. So, there's no
shortage of load-sharing and plenty of strength in the assembly as a
whole. I just object to paying through the nose to a supplier who
thinks they can charge what they like for stuff like this.

I've taken to using chemical anchor gunge with normal 10mm studding with
nuts & washers. (though admittedly I did buy a box of 25 12mm x 160mm
Multi-monti from Screwfix the other day)

AWEM

Old May 27th 13, 10:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 May 2013 20:19:12 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

I've been using these for years:
http://www.ukfixings.net/7.5mm-x-100...ox-of-100.html
About 8p each.
You can get thicker ones, but I've used the 7.5mm ones for wallplates on
numerous occasions

That's what I'm using for the neighbouring smaller screws - 7.5x150mm
There's an average of one of those per foot, with the larger screws
one every two feet.
Old May 27th 13, 10:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 May 2013 21:13:04 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Big range of Thunderbolts at Toolsatan.
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...ors/d90/sd2040

I use these all the time for decking wall plates & awnings. Brilliant.

Hellfire; the M12x100mm would do me - I've been going longer, aiming
for 100mm in the concrete, just to be sure of it, but likely 50mm
penetration would do the job.
When I see prices like that, I just get more annoyed at the local
arsehole rippers.
Old May 27th 13, 11:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

When I see prices like that, I just get more annoyed at the local
arsehole rippers.

I presume there is no toolsatan.ie?

I think these are the manufacturer of their "own label" fixings

http://www.forgefix.co.uk/Contact_Us

Worth seeing who they sell through over there?