Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Incandescent versus fluorescent candle bulbs

Tesco online groceries only have ONE type of candle bulb with standard
bayonet cap and that is a 7W fluorescent type for £3.60. Three pounds
and sixty pence for ONE friggin' bulb!

But on Amazon I can find loads of the "old-fashioned" element 60W
bulbs at a fraction of the price, e.g. Sylvania pack of 10 for £4.99
(or 20 for £7.99). Given that I have just replaced one "old-fashioned"
bulb for the first time in 9 years, £3.60 seems an excessive amount to
pay when I could fit the old style for around 50 pence for another 9
years. These are the wall lights in the front room and are not
switched on much.

How come the "modern" fluorescent bulbs are so expensive? Or is it
just the supermarkets finding yet another way of ripping us off?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Tesco online groceries only have ONE type of candle bulb with standard
bayonet cap and that is a 7W fluorescent type for £3.60. Three pounds
and sixty pence for ONE friggin' bulb!

But on Amazon I can find loads of the "old-fashioned" element 60W
bulbs at a fraction of the price, e.g. Sylvania pack of 10 for £4.99
(or 20 for £7.99). Given that I have just replaced one "old-fashioned"
bulb for the first time in 9 years, £3.60 seems an excessive amount to
pay when I could fit the old style for around 50 pence for another 9
years. These are the wall lights in the front room and are not
switched on much.

How come the "modern" fluorescent bulbs are so expensive? Or is it
just the supermarkets finding yet another way of ripping us off?

MM

Given their relative complexity, a better question would be "How come CFLs
have been so cheap up till now?".

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2013 06:41, MM wrote:
Tesco online groceries only have ONE type of candle bulb with standard
bayonet cap and that is a 7W fluorescent type for £3.60. Three pounds
and sixty pence for ONE friggin' bulb!

Have look elsewhere and you can probably do better buying in packs of
10, but now is a very bad time to invest in CFL candle bulbs. They are
intrinsically difficult to make and LED ones that are *much* nicer are
only just around the corner. You can always buy remaindered CFLs cheaply
after the LED units become more widely available. Afraid the LED ones
will be a fair bit more than £3.6 though - more like £9.

I was recently caught out by a 10W LED nominal 60W lamp I substituted
for a nominal 60W CFL on my parents stairs where the slow start was a
hazard. It was *too bright* I had to get a 40W LED equivalent instead!

But on Amazon I can find loads of the "old-fashioned" element 60W
bulbs at a fraction of the price, e.g. Sylvania pack of 10 for £4.99
(or 20 for £7.99). Given that I have just replaced one "old-fashioned"
bulb for the first time in 9 years, £3.60 seems an excessive amount to
pay when I could fit the old style for around 50 pence for another 9
years. These are the wall lights in the front room and are not
switched on much.

You have to factor in the lifetime electricity consumption before the
pricing makes any sense. Most people are unable to do that which is why
new printers are dirt cheap and the ink costs more than pure heroin.

How come the "modern" fluorescent bulbs are so expensive? Or is it
just the supermarkets finding yet another way of ripping us off?

MM

Given their complexity tricky glasswork and the difficulty getting the
control circuitry into the space it is astonishing they can be made at
all for the price. The one saving grace is that as candles they tend to
have enough free air movement around them not to cook the electronics.

CFLs hanging down or inside glass globes tend to have a short life.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've always thought that bulbs pretending to be candles was a bit odd as a
concept. If you want candles then surely in this age we could come up with a
safe device that actually looked like a real candle.
The one issue with hyour senario is that you have to factor in the less
efficiency of the filament bulbs into the costs, but as you are not
replacing all of them I'd definitely suggest the filament idea is the best.
Then when you replace the lights themselves in several years you can make a
decision depending on the technology of the day.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"MM" wrote in message
news
Tesco online groceries only have ONE type of candle bulb with standard
bayonet cap and that is a 7W fluorescent type for £3.60. Three pounds
and sixty pence for ONE friggin' bulb!

But on Amazon I can find loads of the "old-fashioned" element 60W
bulbs at a fraction of the price, e.g. Sylvania pack of 10 for £4.99
(or 20 for £7.99). Given that I have just replaced one "old-fashioned"
bulb for the first time in 9 years, £3.60 seems an excessive amount to
pay when I could fit the old style for around 50 pence for another 9
years. These are the wall lights in the front room and are not
switched on much.

How come the "modern" fluorescent bulbs are so expensive? Or is it
just the supermarkets finding yet another way of ripping us off?

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew May
writes

Were they given government funds? I thought the cost was just added to
everyone elses bills.

Probably. I wasn't paying much attention at the time.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 07:25:18 +0100, Tim+
wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

I don't call a jump from 50p to £3.60 cheap!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 09:27:07 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I've always thought that bulbs pretending to be candles was a bit odd as a
concept. If you want candles then surely in this age we could come up with a
safe device that actually looked like a real candle.
The one issue with hyour senario is that you have to factor in the less
efficiency of the filament bulbs into the costs, but as you are not
replacing all of them I'd definitely suggest the filament idea is the best.
Then when you replace the lights themselves in several years you can make a
decision depending on the technology of the day.

Exactly. And I may well be moving before the new filament bulb has
even done 4 years. Even if it packs up after 2 years, at 50p a pop
when buying a multipack from Amazon is as cheap as chips.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The one issue with hyour senario is that you have to factor in the less
efficiency of the filament bulbs into the costs, but as you are not
replacing all of them I'd definitely suggest the filament idea is the best.
Then when you replace the lights themselves in several years you can make a
decision depending on the technology of the day.

Exactly. And I may well be moving before the new filament bulb has
even done 4 years. Even if it packs up after 2 years, at 50p a pop
when buying a multipack from Amazon is as cheap as chips.
MM

Make that 50p plus all the electricity, which comes in at many times 50p. On economic grounds alone, CFLs are a no brainer.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2013 06:41, MM wrote:
Tesco online groceries only have ONE type of candle bulb with standard
bayonet cap and that is a 7W fluorescent type for £3.60. Three pounds
and sixty pence for ONE friggin' bulb!

Probably the Megaman ultra compact candle bulbs... they used to be £6
each or thereabouts.

IME they are "ok ish". they look ok, the light colour is not too bad
when looking directly at the bulb, but the spectrum is still gappy, so
unless you have at least one incandescent in there as well the colour
rendition is poor. Light output is a bit feeble though at 1/2 to 1/3 of
that of a real bulb (based on measurements I did with a lux meter). The
ones I had lasted about the same as 4 or five regular bulbs.

How come the "modern" fluorescent bulbs are so expensive? Or is it
just the supermarkets finding yet another way of ripping us off?

They have gone back to their real price as the subsidies are removed. If
you ignore the actual light output problem, then in real terms they are
not that expensive, since a 40W filament lamp will use say £5 worth of
juice in its 1000h life compared to say a quids worth for the CFL.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

That's why I said "up till now"!

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

I was recently caught out by a 10W LED nominal 60W lamp I substituted
for a nominal 60W CFL on my parents stairs where the slow start was a
hazard. It was *too bright* I had to get a 40W LED equivalent instead!

Was it that the illuminated area was deemed too bright, or the
actual lamp?

Out of curiosity, what lamp was it?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2013 15:45, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

I was recently caught out by a 10W LED nominal 60W lamp I substituted
for a nominal 60W CFL on my parents stairs where the slow start was a
hazard. It was *too bright* I had to get a 40W LED equivalent instead!

Was it that the illuminated area was deemed too bright, or the
actual lamp?

Out of curiosity, what lamp was it?

Lighting Ever 10W LED 810Lumen the new one is 830Lumen. Samsung chipset.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighting-EVE..._ee_p_t_2_A39D

It was too bright compared to an aging CFL they had got used to which
IMO was unsafely dim for at least 5 minutes after switching it on.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

The one issue with hyour senario is that you have to factor in the less
efficiency of the filament bulbs into the costs, but as you are not
replacing all of them I'd definitely suggest the filament idea is the best.
Then when you replace the lights themselves in several years you can make a
decision depending on the technology of the day.

Exactly. And I may well be moving before the new filament bulb has
even done 4 years. Even if it packs up after 2 years, at 50p a pop
when buying a multipack from Amazon is as cheap as chips.
MM

Make that 50p plus all the electricity, which comes in at many times 50p. On economic grounds alone, CFLs are a no brainer.

If you only switch the lights on occasionally, you're going to use
practically no electricity anyway. It's not lights that cost the
money, but heating and cooking. Normally, I rarely use the front room,
but I've got my bed in there at the moment following an operation.
Normally, therefore, I'd hardly ever switch the lights on. The thought
of having a £3.60 bulb in there doing sweet FA most of the time
doesn't exactly enthrall me or my wallet. And that's only one of a
total of four bulbs, two in each of the wall fixtures. Not my choice.
It's what the builder fitted. Replacing *four* bulbs with the
newfangled ones would cost me £14.40 -- or just 2 quid using the
"old-fashioned" filament type. I expect Edison is already turning in
his grave over this kind of "progress".

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

I was recently caught out by a 10W LED nominal 60W lamp I substituted
for a nominal 60W CFL on my parents stairs where the slow start was a
hazard. It was *too bright* I had to get a 40W LED equivalent instead!

Was it that the illuminated area was deemed too bright, or the actual
lamp?

Out of curiosity, what lamp was it?

Lighting Ever 10W LED 810Lumen the new one is 830Lumen. Samsung chipset.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighting-EVE...dp/B0073CY81U/

ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_t_2_A39D

It was too bright compared to an aging CFL they had got used to which
IMO was unsafely dim for at least 5 minutes after switching it on.

That lamp is 'daylight white' (6000K) which is a pretty 'hard' light. 'White' (3000 to 3500K) or even 'Warm
white' (2750K) might have been less of a contrast with previous lamp. I have a single 4W LED in the porch
lamp, and when the street lights go out it seems to light up the neighbourhood!

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Out of curiosity, what lamp was it?

Lighting Ever 10W LED 810Lumen the new one is 830Lumen. Samsung chipset.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighting-EVE...dp/B0073CY81U/

ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_t_2_A39D

It was too bright compared to an aging CFL they had got used to which
IMO was unsafely dim for at least 5 minutes after switching it on.

That lamp is 'daylight white' (6000K) which is a pretty 'hard' light. 'White' (3000 to 3500K) or even 'Warm
white' (2750K) might have been less of a contrast with previous lamp. I have a single 4W LED in the porch
lamp, and when the street lights go out it seems to light up the neighbourhood!

My error - it was the 2700K predecessor but no longer offered for sale
that I can see. I just grabbed the nearest match to the one I bought. It
still isn't what I would call "warm white" though more like 4000K.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Martin Brown
escribió:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighting-EVE...-Incandescent-
Replacement/dp/B007
3CY81U/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_t_2_A39D

It was too bright compared to an aging CFL they had got used to which
IMO was unsafely dim for at least 5 minutes after switching it on.

It looks like it directs all its light downward? I was thinking of a
LED bulb for the porch light, but that would need light to direct
sideways too.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2013 04:01, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Martin Brown
escribió:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lighting-EVE...-Incandescent-
Replacement/dp/B007
3CY81U/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_t_2_A39D

It was too bright compared to an aging CFL they had got used to which
IMO was unsafely dim for at least 5 minutes after switching it on.

It looks like it directs all its light downward? I was thinking of a
LED bulb for the porch light, but that would need light to direct
sideways too.

There is some sideways but almost none upwards due to the heatsink
unless it is inside a lamp shade. Putting no light upwards is actually a
benefit in an exterior lighting situation avoiding light pollution.

It won't put as much light sideways as a traditional filament bulb but
it may well provide enough and will be less dazzling. You would have to
try it and see - I am not easily impressed but I was by this unit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Martin Brown
escribió:

There is some sideways but almost none upwards due to the heatsink
unless it is inside a lamp shade.

Thanks. It would be cap side down in the fitting (a coach lantern), so
most of the light would be pointing upward into the cap. Perhaps I
could line the cap with some alu foil to reflect the light.

Putting no light upwards is actually a
benefit in an exterior lighting situation avoiding light pollution.

It illuminates a path so I do need some light out the sides.

It won't put as much light sideways as a traditional filament bulb but
it may well provide enough and will be less dazzling. You would have to
try it and see - I am not easily impressed but I was by this unit.

I might well do that, or try another of the corn bulbs discussed
recently. The first one I got, a couple of years ago from China, is
very poor.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2013 10:21, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Martin Brown
escribió:

There is some sideways but almost none upwards due to the heatsink
unless it is inside a lamp shade.

Thanks. It would be cap side down in the fitting (a coach lantern), so
most of the light would be pointing upward into the cap. Perhaps I
could line the cap with some alu foil to reflect the light.

I recognise the lantern design. I put half silvered conventional lamps
in mine which works surprisingly well. I inherited a box of them from a
previous owner of the house and that is the only place I can use them.

Putting no light upwards is actually a
benefit in an exterior lighting situation avoiding light pollution.

It illuminates a path so I do need some light out the sides.

It won't put as much light sideways as a traditional filament bulb but
it may well provide enough and will be less dazzling. You would have to
try it and see - I am not easily impressed but I was by this unit.

I might well do that, or try another of the corn bulbs discussed
recently. The first one I got, a couple of years ago from China, is
very poor.

I'd suggest sticking with one of the better known brands.
Samsung have gone up in my estimation recently.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

LED candle bulbs Colin Stamp[_2_] UK diy 6 March 1st 13 11:17 PM
LED candle bulbs Andy Champ[_2_] UK diy 12 February 28th 13 11:44 AM
LED candle bulbs Brian Gaff UK diy 1 February 27th 13 09:19 PM
9W CFL Candle Bulb v 40W Incandescent John UK diy 0 January 19th 08 03:23 PM
candle bulbs Mackem UK diy 8 November 27th 06 08:38 PM