Andy Turnbull

Default Sludge!

Hello,

In a closed CH system where everything is new (boiler, pipes and radiators)
is it possible to still get a build up of sludge in your radiators and if so
how?

--
Andy

Is it wrong to kill a child?
Is it wrong for someone to do it on your behalf?

Is it wrong to kill a dog or cat?
Is it wrong for someone to do it on your behalf?

Is it wrong to kill a cow, sheep or chicken?
Is it wrong for someone to do it on your behalf?

David W.E. Roberts

"Andy Turnbull" no email please! wrote in message
Hello,

In a closed CH system where everything is new (boiler, pipes and

radiators)
is it possible to still get a build up of sludge in your radiators and if

so
how?

Yes, if you don't put corrosion inhibitor in the water.
Probably happen faster if you don't flush out the acid residues from
soldering.
Even so, it should take some time for an appreciable build up of sludge.
If you bleed some water off from a radiator and it is black, then this
suggests corrosion and sludge.

HTH
Dave R

Andy Turnbull

Thanks for your reply,

I had to re-hang one of the radiators the other day so emptied it first and
the water that came out was clear apart from the very end when some black
goo seeped out.

The CH system is about 4 years old, so is this normal.

Thanks,

Andy

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Andy Turnbull" no email please! wrote in message
Hello,

In a closed CH system where everything is new (boiler, pipes and

radiators)
is it possible to still get a build up of sludge in your radiators and

if
so
how?

Yes, if you don't put corrosion inhibitor in the water.
Probably happen faster if you don't flush out the acid residues from
soldering.
Even so, it should take some time for an appreciable build up of sludge.
If you bleed some water off from a radiator and it is black, then this
suggests corrosion and sludge.

HTH
Dave R

mike ring

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in news:bp2c5h$1jr38p$1@ID-
122774.news.uni-berlin.de:

If you bleed some water off from a radiator and it is black, then this
suggests corrosion and sludge.

bitter experience suggests this ain't necessarily so.

mike r
David W.E. Roberts

"Andy Turnbull" no email please! wrote in message
Thanks for your reply,

I had to re-hang one of the radiators the other day so emptied it first

and
the water that came out was clear apart from the very end when some black
goo seeped out.

The CH system is about 4 years old, so is this normal.

Thanks,

Andy

Normal for a system without corrosion inhibitor, I would say.

The sludge is almost certainly the result of corrosion.
With fully functioning there (allegedly) shouldn't be any.
Doesn't sound to bad at the moment but a flush out with a flushing compound
followed by a treatment with corrosion inhibitor should improve the long
term prospects of your system.

HTH
Dave R

tarquinlinbin

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:52:32 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

"Andy Turnbull" no email please! wrote in message
Hello,

In a closed CH system where everything is new (boiler, pipes and

radiators)
is it possible to still get a build up of sludge in your radiators and if

so
how?

Yes, if you don't put corrosion inhibitor in the water.
Probably happen faster if you don't flush out the acid residues from
soldering.
Even so, it should take some time for an appreciable build up of sludge.
If you bleed some water off from a radiator and it is black, then this
suggests corrosion and sludge.

HTH
Dave R

Indeed,ah the laziness of acid self cleaning flux. The true tool of a
cowboy. I would never use the stuff myself. Despite all the flushing i
dont believe that it can ever truly be removed.

Only the other day i averted a disaster caused by acid flux and its a
common enough scenario.

A month or so prior to my visit a contractor had fitted a nice new
heating system in a terraced house. Very nice too,Vaillant
Turbomax,shame about the pipework.

Down in the cellar he had left a disaster waiting to happen. He had
T'eed into the existing gas supply and run 22mm to the kitchen to feed
the boiler. A pastoral scene awaited me,green pipe joints
everywhere,nice and guey and evidence of the acid flux bodger.

The homeowner had reported a smell in the house,it had been going on
for weeks and he hadnt been able to trace it. He was an older
chap,retired plumber so he had probably thought it a bit of an affront
to his skills to call someone else but in the end he did,thank god.

So away down to the cellar i went. A quick measure revealed a level of
nearly 2% gas in the atmosphere,a critical situation requiring
evacuation.

Quick investigation revelaed a loud hissing noise in the vicinity of
the meter. The stainless steel meter inlet flex had a nice big hole in
it hissing away. It had probably been like that for days if not weeks.
Directly above it,an acid fluxed soldered joint had dripped its acidic
residue onto to steel flex and eaten through it in such a short space
of time.

Who knows what damage it was foing to the finely machined innards of
the Vaillant turbomax? Its propably stopped working by now.
Irrevocably knackered.

CORGI Reg'd and ACS certified you see,totally competent.

James

"tarquinlinbin" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:52:32 -0000, "David W.E. Roberts"

Indeed,ah the laziness of acid self cleaning flux. The true tool of a
cowboy. I would never use the stuff myself. Despite all the flushing i
dont believe that it can ever truly be removed.

[snip}
Quick investigation revelaed a loud hissing noise in the vicinity of
the meter. The stainless steel meter inlet flex had a nice big hole in
it hissing away. It had probably been like that for days if not weeks.
Directly above it,an acid fluxed soldered joint had dripped its acidic
residue onto to steel flex and eaten through it in such a short space
of time.

Who knows what damage it was foing to the finely machined innards of
the Vaillant turbomax? Its propably stopped working by now.
Irrevocably knackered.

CORGI Reg'd and ACS certified you see,totally competent.

The problem is how do you find a competent installer, given that this is not
ensured by CORGI registration?

There are some very helpful, thoughtful and professional installers in this
newsgroup, who you could rely on. But many of us live in areas where we
simply have to depend on the yellow pages - or recommendations from friends
who probably do not appreciate the quality or otherwise of their
installations.

James

---

tarquinlinbin

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:47:39 -0000, "James"
wrote:

The problem is how do you find a competent installer, given that this is not
ensured by CORGI registration?

There are some very helpful, thoughtful and professional installers in this
newsgroup, who you could rely on. But many of us live in areas where we
simply have to depend on the yellow pages - or recommendations from friends
who probably do not appreciate the quality or otherwise of their
installations.

James

Indeed,and its not just gas cahaps James,ive been trying for months to
engage a joiner to fit 10 new doors in my home.. I havent the time or
inclination to do it myself. Its over £1000 worth of work but none of
the joiners i have contacted have got back to me and i dont expect
them to.

This is what happens when trades,engineering and science are devalued
in favour of services and finance.

---

Dave Stanton

The problem is how do you find a competent installer, given that this is
not ensured by CORGI registration?

James

Do what we did and get your niece to marry one !!

Dave
Ed Sirett

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:20:32 +0000, Dave Stanton wrote:

The problem is how do you find a competent installer, given that this is
not ensured by CORGI registration?

James

Do what we did and get your niece to marry one !!

This reminds me of the joke about the matchmaker, which my wife told
me, who heard it from my MIL (Jewish), who had heard from her friend...

Money was duly given to the matchmaker who then offered the parents a
choice of an elligble and established lawyer or a doctor.
The parents complained they were not content with either of the suitors.
The matchmaker responded:
"For that money you think I will find you a plumber!"

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk