IMM

Default Washing machine - waste pipe limescale

"Gerry Smith" wrote in message
om...
In the house I'm renovating, some genius has plumbed for a washing
machine so that the waste water has to travel about 25 feet, round
three bends, to reach the drains.

As we live in a hard water area, the waste pipe has clogged up with
lime-scale, which is difficult (read "impossible") to reach manually.

Be grateful for some help: in particular, is it poss to use any
chemical to clear the limescale which won't eat through the plastic
waste pipes?

Replace the pipe and re-install with a sharper fall to the main stack. Is
the end of the pipe vented? Or is a spring operated valve used and end
capped off?

---

Charles M Atkinson

I'd use vinegar, preferably a strong pickling vinegar, heating it before
pouring it in. Or maybe a commercial kettle de-scaling product that doesn't
need boiling.

Bob Minchin

Gerry Smith wrote:

In the house I'm renovating, some genius has plumbed for a washing
machine so that the waste water has to travel about 25 feet, round
three bends, to reach the drains.

As we live in a hard water area, the waste pipe has clogged up with
lime-scale, which is difficult (read "impossible") to reach manually.

Be grateful for some help: in particular, is it poss to use any
chemical to clear the limescale which won't eat through the plastic
waste pipes?

Taking lots of care, you can use hydrochloric acid as sold by swimming
pool suppliers. Dilute from the supplied concentration to between 5 &
10%.
Allow for the level to foam up and have a bucket of water handy to dilute
any spills and overflows.

None of the common acids you will be able to buy will eat through PVC
pipes

Dodgy on/off switch on Whirlpool Washing Machine Charlie UK diy 2 July 9th 03 11:23 PM
Zanussi washing machine - blown program selector Mat UK diy 1 July 9th 03 01:09 AM
Walking washing machine Jackie UK diy 6 July 7th 03 08:08 PM
Hoover "Softwave" Washing Machine Heating Element Chris UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 09:24 PM