Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Price check please.

Me and my builder mate have just priced up a job.
Currently it is a bare shell, a single pipe of cold water coming into
the house.
To be supplied and fitted: a very basic kitchen, comprising sink, 2
units and 3 metre worktop, outlet for washing machine.
Upstairs, there is no bathroom, so a bedroom is being divided up with a
stud wall, a shower, bog and sink being fitted.
No holes in walls, so sewer pipe has to go through walls etc. and water
supply taken up through floor.
Rewire. Currently just 4 sockets in the house. Dead easy job, 3 rooms
upstairs, 2 down, nothing fancy included, just supplies for 2 storage
heaters, shower, and instant water heater in kitchen and bathroom, and 8
or so socket outlets.

We've worked it out, and can do it in 10 man days pretty easily.

Total inc. supplying everything above - £3350.

That is too much apparently.

I thought it was incredibly cheap. We were budgeting on £150/day each,
and put 5.5 days down.

Any thoughts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Yes. Tell them to **** off.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2013 13:36, A.Lee wrote:
[...]

Tell them that is your best price, and the quote is good for 30 days,
and then walk away...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 24/02/2013 13:44, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/02/2013 13:36, A.Lee wrote:
[...]

They will be working on the basis that no matter what the price you can
always take a bit more off...Dont budge, thats a very good price. Give
them the 30 days good, I doubt if they will better that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2013 13:36, A.Lee wrote:
[...]

Indeed, and if someone is prepared to do it for less, then let them -
sounds like they probably deserve each other!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:

Total inc. supplying everything above - £3350.

That is too much apparently.

I thought it was incredibly cheap. We were budgeting on £150/day each,
and put 5.5 days down.

Any thoughts?

Honestly, that's far too cheap. If I were you I'd pray they don't change
their minds. Your contingency allowance is obviously £0. Just a few
snags and you'll be working for nowt.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
On 24/02/2013 13:36, A.Lee wrote:
[...]

Someone we know has just had their drive which was gravel redone into
paving blocks. Around 40 M2 in all. Cost just over 4K and it was 4 days
work inc material and plant hire and skip 2 blokes doing the job.

Does anyone think that was a rip off or a bargain?..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2013 13:36, A.Lee wrote:
[...]

Absolutely. Hell, are you anywhere near Gloucestershire?

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes

Someone we know has just had their drive which was gravel redone into
paving blocks. Around 40 M2 in all. Cost just over 4K and it was 4 days
work inc material and plant hire and skip 2 blokes doing the job.

Does anyone think that was a rip off or a bargain?..

If it is still good in 5 years time then I would err on the side of
bargain.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2013 15:02, Bill wrote:
In message , tony sayer
writes

Someone we know has just had their drive which was gravel redone into
paving blocks. Around 40 M2 in all. Cost just over 4K and it was 4 days
work inc material and plant hire and skip 2 blokes doing the job.

Does anyone think that was a rip off or a bargain?..

If it is still good in 5 years time then I would err on the side of
bargain.

+1. It's a job which is hugely dependent on how well it's been done -
you could have two brand-new identical-looking drives side by side, each
looking fab; but a few years (months?) down the line, the one which has
9" too little hardcore underneath and wasn't compacted etc will be
totally ****e.

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2013 13:36, A.Lee wrote:
[...]

It is cheap. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2013 14:28, Bill Wright wrote:
A.Lee wrote:

Total inc. supplying everything above - £3350.

That is too much apparently.

I thought it was incredibly cheap. We were budgeting on £150/day each,
and put 5.5 days down.

Any thoughts?

Honestly, that's far too cheap. If I were you I'd pray they don't change
their minds. Your contingency allowance is obviously £0. Just a few
snags and you'll be working for nowt.

Quite. I've been 'lucky' enough to get some work done for far less than
I think I should have paid because they were simply priced too low.
Gives me no pleasure.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com scribeth thus
On 24/02/2013 15:02, Bill wrote:
In message , tony sayer
writes

Someone we know has just had their drive which was gravel redone into
paving blocks. Around 40 M2 in all. Cost just over 4K and it was 4 days
work inc material and plant hire and skip 2 blokes doing the job.

Does anyone think that was a rip off or a bargain?..

If it is still good in 5 years time then I would err on the side of
bargain.

+1. It's a job which is hugely dependent on how well it's been done -
you could have two brand-new identical-looking drives side by side, each
looking fab; but a few years (months?) down the line, the one which has
9" too little hardcore underneath and wasn't compacted etc will be
totally ****e.

Well it was on a rough concrete base that was in existence before they
did that, seemed as if they did it how they should have done...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 24, 2:53*pm, tony sayer wrote:
In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus

On 24/02/2013 13:36, A.Lee wrote:
[...]

Did the contractor's van have a proper traceable company name and
phone number or just a mobile? Did they visit all the neighbours to
say "while we're in the area..."?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2013 08:22, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Lobster davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com scribeth thus
On 24/02/2013 15:02, Bill wrote:
In message , tony sayer
writes

Someone we know has just had their drive which was gravel redone into
paving blocks. Around 40 M2 in all. Cost just over 4K and it was 4 days
work inc material and plant hire and skip 2 blokes doing the job.

Does anyone think that was a rip off or a bargain?..

If it is still good in 5 years time then I would err on the side of
bargain.

+1. It's a job which is hugely dependent on how well it's been done -
you could have two brand-new identical-looking drives side by side, each
looking fab; but a few years (months?) down the line, the one which has
9" too little hardcore underneath and wasn't compacted etc will be
totally ****e.

Well it was on a rough concrete base that was in existence before they
did that, seemed as if they did it how they should have done...

If so that's probably the reason for the good price then; when we had
our drive block-paved some years ago, the guys who did it took out what
seemed to be a huge amount of earth and replaced it with hardcore - I
guess there's a good chunk of the cost in that, which will have been
avoided if there was already a solid foundation.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message ...

Me and my builder mate have just priced up a job.
Currently it is a bare shell, a single pipe of cold water coming into

We've worked it out, and can do it in 10 man days pretty easily.

Total inc. supplying everything above - £3350.

That is too much apparently.

I thought it was incredibly cheap. We were budgeting on £150/day each,
and put 5.5 days down.

Any thoughts?

Yes, come do some work for me.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any thoughts?

Tell them that is your best price, and the quote is good for 30 days,
and then walk away...

Someone we know has just had their drive which was gravel redone into
paving blocks. Around 40 M2 in all. Cost just over 4K and it was 4 days
work inc material and plant hire and skip *2 blokes doing the job.

Does anyone think that was a rip off or a bargain?..

Did the contractor's van have a proper traceable company name and
phone number or just a mobile?

Neither...

Did they visit all the neighbours to
say "while we're in the area..."?

No... But the did proffer me a card whilst talking to them...

MBQ

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2013 14:53, tony sayer wrote:

Someone we know has just had their drive which was gravel redone into
paving blocks. Around 40 M2 in all. Cost just over 4K and it was 4 days
work inc material and plant hire and skip 2 blokes doing the job.

Does anyone think that was a rip off or a bargain?..

Last year I did about 2.5 m2 by myself in about 6 hours so it appears to
take them a long time. How much did they dig out and hardcore?
How much drainage needed (it takes me quite a while if I have to do any)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:

Total inc. supplying everything above - £3350.

That is too much apparently.

I thought it was incredibly cheap. We were budgeting on £150/day each,
and put 5.5 days down.

Any thoughts?

Honestly, that's far too cheap. If I were you I'd pray they don't change
their minds. Your contingency allowance is obviously £0. Just a few
snags and you'll be working for nowt.

Not forgetting the buggeration factor of at least 20% to allow for all
the messing about that will be required as the client changes their
mind.........

--
Regards Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Muddymike wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message

Me and my builder mate have just priced up a job.
Currently it is a bare shell, a single pipe of cold water coming
into We've worked it out, and can do it in 10 man days pretty easily.

Total inc. supplying everything above - £3350.

That is too much apparently.

I thought it was incredibly cheap. We were budgeting on £150/day
each, and put 5.5 days down.

Any thoughts?

Yes, come do some work for me.

And I will say that you would get a good job done.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 13:36:20 +0000, A.Lee wrote:

[...]

Next time add 10% on to your price.

Then when they ask for a reduction take it off again.

That way both sides get the result they want :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
dennis@home scribeth thus
On 24/02/2013 14:53, tony sayer wrote:

Someone we know has just had their drive which was gravel redone into
paving blocks. Around 40 M2 in all. Cost just over 4K and it was 4 days
work inc material and plant hire and skip 2 blokes doing the job.

Does anyone think that was a rip off or a bargain?..

Last year I did about 2.5 m2 by myself in about 6 hours so it appears to
take them a long time. How much did they dig out and hardcore?
How much drainage needed (it takes me quite a while if I have to do any)?

They scraped off the gravel with a mini digger there was a sort of
concrete subbase already there. They did put in a surface drain. It took
them 4 days from start to finish..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
Me and my builder mate have just priced up a job.

Yes. Tell them to **** off.

I spoke to him today. He said he cannot afford that amount, but if he
was to buy the materilas, would we fit it. Of course we would, but the
total cost would be more as we'll know where to get it the cheapest.

So, he reckons he can get it all cheaper than us, and that there is no
need for a new consumer unit too, he doesnt mind if we just supply the
shower and water heaters off the 3 way Wylex fuse box, which is a TT
supply, with no earth rod or water bonding.

Clearly he hasnt a clue, so we'll be giving it a miss.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/02/2013 13:36, A.Lee wrote:
[...]

I will be in a few weeks time. Offering a brew as I pass by?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

A.Lee wrote:
ARW wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
Me and my builder mate have just priced up a job.

Yes. Tell them to **** off.

I spoke to him today. He said he cannot afford that amount, but if he
was to buy the materilas, would we fit it. Of course we would, but the
total cost would be more as we'll know where to get it the cheapest.

So, he reckons he can get it all cheaper than us, and that there is no
need for a new consumer unit too, he doesnt mind if we just supply the
shower and water heaters off the 3 way Wylex fuse box, which is a TT
supply, with no earth rod or water bonding.

Clearly he hasnt a clue, so we'll be giving it a miss.

Oh but he does have a clue.

He's a rogue customer and you are not a rogue trader. I know the sort of
person he is. You deserve better customers than that Alan and walking away
from this one is the correct thing to do. I think ALL other posters to this
thread have agreed and said the same thing.

I would not accept the job even if he came back and said he could now afford
your quote. This **** will try to rip you off.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 18:49:34 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

I would not accept the job even if he came back and said he could now afford
your quote. This **** will try to rip you off.

Yep. Alarm bells ringing all over the place with that one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,
"ARW" wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
ARW wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
[...]

Or even if he doesn't do that, he'll expect you to cut corners and not
do the job according to regs.

Or try to renegotiate the price after you've finished the job - or just
not pay up.
--
bert