RatBox

Default Basin Fittings Non Standard

Hi Group,

Wonder if anyone could point me to the manufacturer or supplier of Basin
Waste units that are Less than the standard size. My friend bought a sink
back over from Mexico, but without any bits for it as he thought that he
would be able to get the bits here. But I have checked the dimensions of a
standard waste unit similar to those supplied by Screwfix, item code
D66389-72, D16378-72 and D12052-72, they are all 41.5mm using a callipers to
measure the stem of the waste unit.

Well the Mexican basin waste hole is by no means a perfect circle, the top
hole, within the basin itself, and measuring the min. diameter is 40.4mm,
0.8mm more than the underneath hole which is 39.6mm. So I am, I think,
looking for a waste unit where the external "stem" diameter is roughly 38mm
to 39mm in diameter.

In addition I noticed that Screwfix do some "designer" basin units, (
product numbers 45219-72 84812-72 77378-72 ), which seem to have smaller
waste units already installed, but I don't want to buy the whole sink just
to check whether they would fit the Mexican basin.

Any assistance is as ever greatly appreciated in pointing me to a supplier
or manufacturer of non-standard waste units, URL's, telephone numbers, or
name and addresses. I would also add that I am in the back of beyond in
south Wales, not meaning that Wales is the back of beyond but the village we
live in has one road in and one road out, with a token, but expensive,
public transportation service to Port Talbot so mail order would be great.

Thanks in advance

Glenn

John Armstrong

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:33:48 -0000, RatBox wrote:

Hi Group,

Wonder if anyone could point me to the manufacturer or supplier of Basin
Waste units that are Less than the standard size. My friend bought a sink
back over from Mexico, but without any bits for it as he thought that he
would be able to get the bits here. But I have checked the dimensions of a
standard waste unit similar to those supplied by Screwfix, item code
D66389-72, D16378-72 and D12052-72, they are all 41.5mm using a callipers to
measure the stem of the waste unit.

Shouldn't all be the same size. 16378 is a sink waste, 1 1/2" BSP thread
whereas 66389 and 12052 are basin wastes, 1 1/4" BSP thread.
Basins are usually plumbed using 32mm pipe (1 1/4" waste), Sinks with 40mm
(1 1/2" waste).
RatBox

"John Armstrong" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:33:48 -0000, RatBox wrote:

Hi Group,

Wonder if anyone could point me to the manufacturer or supplier of Basin
Waste units that are Less than the standard size. My friend bought a

sink
back over from Mexico, but without any bits for it as he thought that he
would be able to get the bits here. But I have checked the dimensions of

standard waste unit similar to those supplied by Screwfix, item code
D66389-72, D16378-72 and D12052-72, they are all 41.5mm using a

callipers to
measure the stem of the waste unit.

Shouldn't all be the same size. 16378 is a sink waste, 1 1/2" BSP thread
whereas 66389 and 12052 are basin wastes, 1 1/4" BSP thread.
Basins are usually plumbed using 32mm pipe (1 1/4" waste), Sinks with 40mm
(1 1/2" waste).

Hi John,

My mistake should have been product D14684-72 and not the D16378 which is a
sink waste as you pointed out. I have plumbed in the standard sinks as
described by yourself too, with no difficulties, but the Mexican basin has a
smaller diameter waste hole than the standard UK basin waste hole which
comfortably accepts the 1 1/4" basin waste unit from any plumbers merchant,
but that's the point, the fitting "nut" is larger than the 32mm PVC pipe to
fit onto the waste unit threads which is 1 5/8" in diameter, I cannot get
the waste unit into the hole in the bottom of the Mexican waste hole as it
is to small to accommodate the standard size waste units as supplied by
Screwfix. So while the 32mm PVC pipe will fit through the hole in the
Mexican sink with lost of room it is not a waste unit, and the 40mm PVC pipe
is just that bit to wide also but again is not a waste unit. My friend wants
a waste unit to be installed into the sink so he can put a plug in it.

Hope this clarifies my issue better than my previous post

Regards

Glenn

John Armstrong

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:41:49 -0000, RatBox wrote:

I must admit, I haven't measured one, but I always assumed that as these
waste fittings are described as 1 1/4" BSP threaded, the outside of the
thread would be 1 1/4", ie 32mm. Maybe not.
You could try a caravan fitting supplier for a smaller version.
BillR

RatBox wrote:
Hi Group,

Wonder if anyone could point me to the manufacturer or supplier of
Basin Waste units that are Less than the standard size. My friend
bought a sink back over from Mexico, .....

Hardly sounds worth the hassle.
Was bound not to fit UK stuff, the stuff from Europe is bad enough here.
Why on earth bring a basin xxxx miles? Hardly a high value item, unless gold
plated or packed with recreational chemicals :-)