Best way to set up gas central heating controls

Old December 23rd 12, 01:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss

Default Best way to set up gas central heating controls

I am trying to get the best economies with an acceptable level of
comfort, so a bit of a balancing act. Using a Baxi combi boiler with 14
radiators. (some rads turned off) (house occupied 24/7)
In general terms I can take lower temps during the day but raise them at
night which I have done via the time control/stat.
Now as I can see there are 3 elements.

1. The temp controls at the boiler (low/med/high)for controlling the
water and another for the rads.
2. The thermostat on the time control box.
3. TVR valves

Is there a `best way` to adjust anything eg is it better to have a lower
temp setting at the boiler or a higher one and let the stat control the
heat.
As far as the TVR valves are concerned I have them mid point in bedrooms
etc but full on in the main lounge (where the stat is)
Short of getting uncomfortable is there a `best` set up for economy use
in general terms accepting we all have different comfort levels.
Old December 23rd 12, 02:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss writes:
I am trying to get the best economies with an acceptable level of
comfort, so a bit of a balancing act. Using a Baxi combi boiler with 14
radiators. (some rads turned off) (house occupied 24/7)
In general terms I can take lower temps during the day but raise them at
night which I have done via the time control/stat.
Now as I can see there are 3 elements.

1. The temp controls at the boiler (low/med/high)for controlling the
water and another for the rads.
2. The thermostat on the time control box.
3. TVR valves

Is there a `best way` to adjust anything eg is it better to have a lower
temp setting at the boiler or a higher one and let the stat control the
heat.

If it's a condensing boiler, the most efficient position is to
set the boiler temperature as low as you can, which still manages
to keeps the rooms at correct temperature and never quite causes
the room stat to click off.

The trouble with this is that you will have to adjust the boiler
temperature depending on the outside temperature, turning it up
a bit when it's colder outside, and down when it's warmer outside.
Also have to turn it up whilst you are heating the house up from
cold. This is what a weather compensation system does for you
automatically.

A compromise which is not significantly worse than ideal would
be to have the boiler just slightly hotter and have the room stat
only occasionally click off, but would avoid you having to fiddle
with the boiler temperature so often.

If it's not a condensing boiler, the same applies, but you need to
be careful not to run the boiler too low that it starts condensing,
as this will do a non-condensing boiler some serious damage. In
theory, the boiler should protect itself against this by not running
too low, but I don't know that all boilers do.

As far as the TVR valves are concerned I have them mid point in bedrooms
etc but full on in the main lounge (where the stat is)
Short of getting uncomfortable is there a `best` set up for economy use
in general terms accepting we all have different comfort levels.

That sounds fine for the TRVs.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old December 23rd 12, 05:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2012 13:36, ss wrote:
[...]

You shouldn't really have a TRV at all in the room where the room stat
is. That should be the slowest room to heat up so that the TRVs in the
other rooms have all done their thing before the stat turns the boiler
off. [May possibly not be the best place for the room stat].
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old December 23rd 12, 08:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss

On 23/12/2012 14:19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
If it's a condensing boiler, the most efficient position is to
set the boiler temperature as low as you can, which still manages
to keeps the rooms at correct temperature and never quite causes
the room stat to click off.

I`ll give that a go and see how it feels/costs as I am currently
monitoring gas usage on a daily basis until I get a good compromise.
Old December 23rd 12, 08:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 20:01:46 +0000, ss wrote:

If it's a condensing boiler, the most efficient position is to
set the boiler temperature as low as you can, which still manages
to keeps the rooms at correct temperature and never quite causes
the room stat to click off.

I`ll give that a go and see how it feels/costs as I am currently
monitoring gas usage on a daily basis until I get a good compromise.

The daily weather will have too much influence, it will tend to mask the
effects of any changes you make to the settings. Much better to try
settings for a week at a time and record the gas use per week, perhaps
making a note about the weather for each week, temperature and wind
mainly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old December 23rd 12, 10:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2012 13:36, ss wrote:
In general terms I can take lower temps during the day but raise them at
night which I have done via the time control/stat.

Curious. We turn the heating off at night. I have no objection to
STWNFI cuddling up

besides which we have a decent duvet, and rarely get cold in bed.

Andy
Old December 23rd 12, 10:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss

On 23/12/2012 20:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
The daily weather will have too much influence, it will tend to mask the
effects of any changes you make to the settings. Much better to try
settings for a week at a time and record the gas use per week, perhaps
making a note about the weather for each week, temperature and wind
mainly.

I will move to a weekly reading but to get a feel for some of the
changes I am making I have been monitoring on a daily basis for a couple
of weeks and will for another week and then move to weekly.
So far I have managed to save about 3 kWh per day. I know I can make
some further improvements with draught proofing when I have time and the
dog passes on! I have wooden laminate flooring and want to carpet but as
the dog is on his last legs will wait til then before carpeting.

The house is 10 rooms including 2 toilets plus 2 small hallways and I am
on target to reduce combined bills to approx 1000 per year.....getting
there :-)
Old December 23rd 12, 11:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss

On 23/12/2012 22:43, Andy Champ wrote:
On 23/12/2012 13:36, ss wrote:
In general terms I can take lower temps during the day but raise them at
night which I have done via the time control/stat.

Curious. We turn the heating off at night. I have no objection to STWNFI
cuddling up

besides which we have a decent duvet, and rarely get cold in bed.

Andy

By night I mean from say 6pm -10.30pm :-)
Then it is set to 9C for overnight when the duvet and wife take over.
Old December 24th 12, 09:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, December 23, 2012 1:36:06 PM UTC, ss wrote:
[...]

You'll get far more payback by putting your time/effort into draughtproofing and insulating

NT
Old December 24th 12, 09:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss writes:
[...]

I'm less that that here (detached, 7 rooms), but I don't any longer
have the heating or hot water switch itself on automatically - I switch
on manually when required. In particular, in the morning I like it to
be cold, as I do 30 mins on the exercise bike, and that's best when the
living room is about 16C (and it actually increases the living room temp
by about 1.1C). When I'm working at home, I just heat one room using an
air-sourced heat pump. I can find I haven't used the heating all day
quite often, even in the winter, in which case there is a heater in the
bedroom if it's cold when I'm thinking of going up to bed (I do like a
warm bedroom).

However, I can remotely turn on/off the heating, and I use that when
I'm coming home.

BTW, I think there should be a 10/unit FIT for exercise bikes ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel