Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Continuing new years resolution

Not to buy anything from a retailer that doesn't stock spares/consumables.

Went to buy a pair of shoes earlier this year. Salesman had racked the
shoes up, and I asked for 2 spare pairs of laces, only to be told they
didn't stock laces. Just walked out.

Looking for a new bathroom bin, noticed a 3L jobbie in Tescos who - guess
what - don't sell 3L bags to fit. No sale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk writes:
Not to buy anything from a retailer that doesn't stock spares/consumables.

Went to buy a pair of shoes earlier this year. Salesman had racked the
shoes up, and I asked for 2 spare pairs of laces, only to be told they
didn't stock laces. Just walked out.

If they had sold laces, would probably be many times the price of
somewhere like Timpsons.

I've had that with places like Carphone Warehouse, who are keen to
sell you a new phone and contract, but want a spare battery?
Forget it, they can't be arsed to sell anything like that.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 16:06:29 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

Not to buy anything from a retailer that doesn't stock
spares/consumables.

Went to buy a pair of shoes earlier this year. Salesman had racked the
shoes up, and I asked for 2 spare pairs of laces, only to be told they
didn't stock laces. Just walked out.

Looking for a new bathroom bin, noticed a 3L jobbie in Tescos who -
guess what - don't sell 3L bags to fit. No sale.

I remember, many years ago, buying some Spur shelving in B&Q (well, not,
as it happened).

They had a leaflet in a stand nearby - "How to fit Spur shelving". They
suggested a particular length of screw for whatever they were (big ones,
high loading). Let's say it was 3 inch screws.

Go the screws section. "3 inch screws?". "Don't stock them, sir".

I left.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

To coin a phrase, I don't believe it. Do the buyers in these organisations
actually understand what they stock I wonder?

In the case of laces specifically its surely obvious that if you stock shoes
you need the accessories. Maybe the profit margin is too small. In the case
of Tesco, what they do is grab stocks of stuff that is cheap and apparently
nobody bothered to ask why they were cheap in that the bags were probably
not widely available. It kind of reminded me of the old Sinclair designed
microvision tv. It used odball batteries called polarpuse, made by polaroid.
Very often you had a real search to actually find anyone who stocked them.

Brian

Email:

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
Not to buy anything from a retailer that doesn't stock spares/consumables.

Went to buy a pair of shoes earlier this year. Salesman had racked the
shoes up, and I asked for 2 spare pairs of laces, only to be told they
didn't stock laces. Just walked out.

Looking for a new bathroom bin, noticed a 3L jobbie in Tescos who - guess
what - don't sell 3L bags to fit. No sale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:
To coin a phrase, I don't believe it. Do the buyers in these organisations
actually understand what they stock I wonder?

In the case of laces specifically its surely obvious that if you stock shoes
you need the accessories.

The problem is though that these days, laces as almost as individual in
design as the shoes are and the stock of laces that a shoes shop would have
to keep to match all their stock would be huge.

In practice I don't find it a problem as lace material is vastly better
than it ever used to be and I can't recall when I last snapped a lace on an
ordinary shoe.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2012 22:27, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 16:06:29 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

Not to buy anything from a retailer that doesn't stock
spares/consumables.

Went to buy a pair of shoes earlier this year. Salesman had racked the
shoes up, and I asked for 2 spare pairs of laces, only to be told they
didn't stock laces. Just walked out.

Looking for a new bathroom bin, noticed a 3L jobbie in Tescos who -
guess what - don't sell 3L bags to fit. No sale.

I remember, many years ago, buying some Spur shelving in B&Q (well, not,
as it happened).

They had a leaflet in a stand nearby - "How to fit Spur shelving". They
suggested a particular length of screw for whatever they were (big ones,
high loading). Let's say it was 3 inch screws.

Go the screws section. "3 inch screws?". "Don't stock them, sir".

I left.

Fitted a 'Basin in a box' for a lady once, she bought it in the local B&Q.

Not fixings in the box. Took her receipt & complained. 'They aren't
included' was the reply.

OK, I'll buy a set - where are they?

'We don't sell them'.