George Bray

Default Building regulations - uPVC windows

Am I allowed to replace the windows in my house without notifying the
Council? e.g. if I buy uPVC windows from Wickes or even make up new
hardwood frames myself and fit sealed double-glazing modules.

A neighbour recently had a double glazing firm replace his windows and
doors with uPVC - a very standard job, and quite well done. Then he
received a card from a trade organisation (whose name I forget)
confirming the job had met the rules under the Building regulations
2000, and he should keep the card as proof. What's going on?

Regards
George
Peter Taylor

"George Bray" wrote in message
om...
Am I allowed to replace the windows in my house without notifying the
Council? e.g. if I buy uPVC windows from Wickes or even make up new
hardwood frames myself and fit sealed double-glazing modules.

A neighbour recently had a double glazing firm replace his windows and
doors with uPVC - a very standard job, and quite well done. Then he
received a card from a trade organisation (whose name I forget)
confirming the job had met the rules under the Building regulations
2000, and he should keep the card as proof. What's going on?

Regards
George

Hi George

All replacement windows now need Building Regs approval (since April 2002).
There are various rules concerning U values, safety glazing, Low E glass, width
of emergency exit windows and so on. Dispensation can be granted for special
cases (Listed Buildings etc). You need to understand these rules and make your
own Building Regs application to the council if you do the work yourself, and if
you make your own frames you will need to prove they comply with Part L1 and
have a U Value for wooden frames no greater than 2.0 W/m²K. Your Building
Control office will advise you and will have leaflets.

The trade organisation you mention is FENSA. They have a special
self-certifying deal concerning Building Regulations - if you use a
FENSA-registered company to do the work there is no need for you to make a
Building Regs application yourself - they are supposed to be qualified to do the
work according to the regs. (Hahaha)

It's honestly not worth the hassle - they've got you by the shorts.

Peter