Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The total bull**** that these *******s produce

"The world's first and only 100% pure convection heater"

What a load of ****ing cock. It would certainly be news to the makers
of the convection heater in my back room, which must be 20 years old.
Obviously, the technology goes back way further than that.

I drifted onto that site pursuing spares for oil-filled heaters[1];
anyway, one of their customers is another of those who can't seem to
grasp that ****ty little heaters aren't going to do much if you're
living in a draughty Kellog's box. Eventually, the penny dropped, "Oh,
maybe it's insulation needed, I think I might do that."

[1] Anyone know if I can fit a simple energy controller from an
electric cooker to control a 2~3kW panel heater? I'm fairly sure I
can, but if anyone's actually done it, it would be nice to hear of it.
Dimplex don't supply much in the way of spares for their older models
and frankly, the original control was/is ****. I have two panel
heaters, one still works, one's got a dead control.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 30, 6:53*am, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Yes you can so long as it has the capacity (amps/Kw). Many are only
1.5Kw.
They work by turning on and off, on for longer as you turn
the control higher. They are NOT a thermostat.
They need a live, neutral and switch wire. any fourth terminal is for
a pilot light.
However you need to be sure the overheat protection on your heaters
still functions.
I seem to remember some older Dimplex heaters had a lead fuse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have an oil filled unit where the knob and the plastic case are broken,
but otherwise it works. Bit hard to know whether you can get the bits
though. Working at the moment due to cable tie securing knob and tape on
inside of case.

Light has now failed..
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

[1] Anyone know if I can fit a simple energy controller from an
electric cooker to control a 2~3kW panel heater? I'm fairly sure I
can, but if anyone's actually done it, it would be nice to hear of it.
Dimplex don't supply much in the way of spares for their older models
and frankly, the original control was/is ****. I have two panel
heaters, one still works, one's got a dead control.

Not quite sure how that would be any better than a simple thermostat -
perhaps a remote one rather than part of the rad? Pretty well 100% of the
electricity the rad consumes is turned into heat, so how it is controlled
make little difference.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

[1] Anyone know if I can fit a simple energy controller from an
electric cooker to control a 2~3kW panel heater? I'm fairly sure I
can, but if anyone's actually done it, it would be nice to hear of it.
Dimplex don't supply much in the way of spares for their older models
and frankly, the original control was/is ****. I have two panel
heaters, one still works, one's got a dead control.

Not quite sure how that would be any better than a simple thermostat -
perhaps a remote one rather than part of the rad? Pretty well 100% of the
electricity the rad consumes is turned into heat, so how it is controlled
make little difference.

but if you could variably control the output so that it was what the room
needed to maintain the temperature, it would probably be more comfortable
than the simple ON or OFF normally used.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 00:30:55 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On Sep 30, 6:53*am, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[18 quoted lines suppressed]

Yes you can so long as it has the capacity (amps/Kw). Many are only
1.5Kw.
They work by turning on and off, on for longer as you turn
the control higher. They are NOT a thermostat.
They need a live, neutral and switch wire. any fourth terminal is for
a pilot light.
However you need to be sure the overheat protection on your heaters
still functions.
I seem to remember some older Dimplex heaters had a lead fuse.

Yes, a simmerstat will work but, as Harry says, watch the power - cooker
rings are 2kW max. I've used simmerstats on other applications but never
2kW. If the points fuse together...! It controls only energy on/off, not

power or temperature.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

[...]

Maybe they've painted it with unobtanium to achieve a zero emissivity
surface?

Lying *******s though - it's still heating a bit by conduction.

--
Tim Watts
Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:06:28 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Not quite sure how that would be any better than a simple thermostat -
perhaps a remote one rather than part of the rad? Pretty well 100% of the
electricity the rad consumes is turned into heat, so how it is controlled
make little difference.

The one with the so-called 'working' control shoots straight up to max
and eventually decided to start working as a temp controller after I'd
cycled it through a timer many times.
15mins on, 45mins off, for a few hours.
It's still not fixed, as the contacts are well shagged and I'm just
not impressed with the shonky design and construction of it
internally. The rad itself is perfectly fine - got years of life in it
yet; these things hardly ever break, just let down by crappy
controllers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:37:18 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

Yes you can so long as it has the capacity (amps/Kw). Many are only
1.5Kw.
They work by turning on and off, on for longer as you turn
the control higher. They are NOT a thermostat.
They need a live, neutral and switch wire. any fourth terminal is for
a pilot light.
However you need to be sure the overheat protection on your heaters
still functions.
I seem to remember some older Dimplex heaters had a lead fuse.

Yes, a simmerstat will work but, as Harry says, watch the power - cooker
rings are 2kW max. I've used simmerstats on other applications but never
2kW. If the points fuse together...! It controls only energy on/off, not

power or temperature.

Cheers chaps.
I'll give it a go later. I have a new simmerstat kicking around
somewhere, need to see what rating it is. I can also fit a clip-on
stat to the heater body and an overheat stat to bring the things up to
some sort of safer later spec.
The equivalent model now is selling for 150quid, but has much better
controls on it.
I don't know what the output of these are - likely a minimum of 2kW
going by what they belt out at full-on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2012 06:53, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
"The world's first and only 100% pure convection heater"

"safe, cool to the touch". I think they'd get away with it - the
convection heater I have has a warm casing, so it radiates a little too.

Still I agree with your thread title!

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, September 30, 2012 10:14:50 AM UTC+1, charles wrote:

but if you could variably control the output so that it was what the
room needed to maintain the temperature, it would probably be more comfortable
than the simple ON or OFF normally used.

I'm in the process of cobbling together a Honeywell DT90E stat with a remote controlled socket to provide wirefree control of a convector heater in a conservatory. The stat employs their 'Time Proportional & Integral' functionality so it'll be interesting to see how accurately it manages to hold a temperature. Unlike on my central heating I'll be setting the cycle time and min on/off period as short as possible.

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I haven't got a catalogue to hand but RS components and no doubt most
of their competitors used to produce a solid state controller up to
3kW which did the same thing as the old simmerstats but with much
shorter mark/space cycle periods
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 03:30:02 -0700 (PDT), cynic
wrote:

I haven't got a catalogue to hand but RS components and no doubt most
of their competitors used to produce a solid state controller up to
3kW which did the same thing as the old simmerstats but with much
shorter mark/space cycle periods

I'll have a look, ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:30:02 AM UTC+1, cynic wrote:
[...]

I've got 10 of them here, but find it slighly easier to use the website ;-)
(the last use being to hold down some corrigated card while a guitar shape was cut out from it.)

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/

and no doubt most

of their competitors used to produce a solid state controller up to

3kW which did the same thing as the old simmerstats but with much

shorter mark/space cycle periods

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 2, 11:30*am, cynic wrote:

I haven't got a catalogue to hand but RS components and no doubt most
of their competitors used to produce a solid state controller up to
3kW which did the same thing as the old simmerstats but with much
shorter mark/space cycle periods

Also China, via eBay. Very cheap.