Foundations for garage

Old September 11th 12, 08:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Foundations for garage

We built our current garage a while back its a single skin breaze block rendered wall. We have Building Control for this.

We are wating to convert this to a habitable room and are going to brick the outside. Can I just lay the new foundations along side the old at the same depth

Garry
Old September 12th 12, 07:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 11, 8:36*pm, Garry wrote:
We built our current garage a while back its a single skin breaze block rendered wall. We have Building Control for this.

We are wating to convert this to a habitable room and are going to brick the outside. *Can I just lay the new foundations along side the old at the same depth

Garry

I have added an outer leaf to an existing solid wall.
I dug out to the depth of the bottom of the existing footings and
poured more concrete coming to above the existing footings, ie "L"
shaped cross section.
In some places the existing footing was quite deep so I just filled
the trench up to about 200mm below the ground level.

Don't forget the cavity wall insulation. Can be mineral wool bats or
foam.
Worth spending some time getting the insulation right.
Old September 12th 12, 09:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:36:21 PM UTC+1, Garry wrote:
We built our current garage a while back its a single skin breaze block rendered wall. We have Building Control for this.

We are wating to convert this to a habitable room and are going to brick the outside. Can I just lay the new foundations along side the old at the same depth

I added an new internal skin to form a cavity wall as part of an extension. However, the new foundation was deeper the the one running alongside, and the BCO wanted me to "overpour" the old foundation, so I guess the two were effectively locked together. Only a few inches overpour was required. However my new foundation was a couple of feet lower !

So it might be a good idea to do something that locks the two together.

Simon.
Old September 12th 12, 11:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Garry" wrote in message
We built our current garage a while back its a single skin breaze block
rendered wall. We have Building Control for this.

We are wating to convert this to a habitable room and are going to brick
the outside. Can I just lay the new foundations along side the old at the
same depth

Short answer - ask your BCO.
Ours are generally very helpful and once you've paid the upfront charge they
will come out as many times as you like to look at stuff and tell you what
is O.K. by them.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old September 12th 12, 08:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 12 September 2012 11:40:54 UTC+1, David WE Roberts wrote:

We built our current garage a while back its a single skin breaze block

rendered wall. We have Building Control for this.

We are wating to convert this to a habitable room and are going to brick

the outside. Can I just lay the new foundations along side the old at the

same depth

Short answer - ask your BCO.

Ours are generally very helpful and once you've paid the upfront charge they

will come out as many times as you like to look at stuff and tell you what

is O.K. by them.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

Thanks for all the answers, I was thinking of sticking some 1/2 inch rebar into the old foundation and then pouring the concrete in to a few inches above the old concrete strip. Hopefully the rebar would look the concrete together.

What do you think.

Garry
Old September 12th 12, 09:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 12:36:21 -0700 (PDT), a certain
chimpanzee, Garry , randomly hit the keyboard
and wrote:

We built our current garage a while back its a single skin breaze block rendered wall. We have Building Control for this.

We are wating to convert this to a habitable room and are going to brick the outside. Can I just lay the new foundations along side the old at the same depth

Firstly, why do you need to? You can generally dry-line the inside
with a stud wall & insulation, and unless you are altering the
structure, you don't need to increase the foundations.

If you don't want to dry-line the inside (maybe you need the space),
then building an external leaf onto an existing wall to create a
cavity wall is a difficult way to go, irrespective of the foundations.

The foundations would need to be widened, usually by digging slightly
below & under the the existing. This would need to be done in
sections, similar to underpinning.

The new outer leaf would need to be tied to the inner leaf, with ties
screwed in, and insulation installed. Any door or window openings will
need lintels over, which may need to be changed.

How will the roof be altered? Is there enough overhang to encompass an
increase of ~200mm in the wall thickness?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Old September 13th 12, 06:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 11, 8:36*pm, Garry wrote:
We built our current garage a while back its a single skin breaze block rendered wall. We have Building Control for this.

We are wating to convert this to a habitable room and are going to brick the outside. *Can I just lay the new foundations along side the old at the same depth

Garry

You may be better off just demolishing it and starting again.

Garage foundations. Ashnook. UK diy 5 December 23rd 07 04:01 PM
removing old foundations sm_jamieson UK diy 7 September 17th 07 11:21 AM
Foundations basics Andrew Welham UK diy 8 October 25th 06 07:36 PM
Foundations Lawrence Zarb UK diy 1 August 23rd 06 05:55 PM
easier dig 2m foundations [email protected] UK diy 6 November 29th 05 10:56 PM