Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower Room Extractor Fans

Hello

Planning on installing an extractor fan in the en-suite to reduce
condensation - currently looking at:
http://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/a...-fan-129-p.asp

Wondering about how to activate/deactivate the fan. Options seem to be:

(1) dedicated on/off switch
(2) wired to light circuit with 2 min delay
(3) wired to light circuit with in-line isolator switch

I tend to favour (3) since it allows the light to be on without the fan -
good for those occasions when lighting only is needed. What are the regs
concerning switches, fuses etc?

Also wondering about best place to install - currently favouring ceiling
mount near door rather than directly above shower cubicle.

Any comments?

Thanks
Thomas

Posted to uk.d-i-y

condensation - currently looking at:http://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/a...100-quiet-extr...

Wondering about how to activate/deactivate the fan. Options seem to be:

(1) dedicated on/off switch
(2) wired to light circuit with 2 min delay
(3) wired to light circuit with in-line isolator switch

I tend to favour (3) since it allows the light to be on without the fan -
good for those occasions when lighting only is needed. What are the regs
concerning switches, fuses etc?

Also wondering about best place to install - currently favouring ceiling
mount near door rather than directly above shower cubicle.

Any comments?

Thanks
Thomas

Why not get one with an inbuilt humidistat, that comes on when it
detects a certain level of humidity, and turns itself off?

cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2012 16:21, geraldthehamster wrote:
On 4 Sep, 12:24, "Thomas" wrote:
[...]

That's best, but I find one just wired in parallel with the shower light
is OK (single pull cord for light + fan). Best to extract from inside
the cubicle, though.

cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 08:21:55 -0700, geraldthehamster wrote:

Why not get one with an inbuilt humidistat, that comes on when it
detects a certain level of humidity, and turns itself off?

BES does 100mm humidistat fans cheap

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I forgot to take my amnesia medicine again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 08:21:55 -0700, geraldthehamster wrote:
Why not get one with an inbuilt humidistat, that comes on when it
detects a certain level of humidity, and turns itself off?

Are they reliable? As in, does the humidistat bit last as long as the
fan?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 12:25:43 +0100, "Thomas"
wrote:

Hello

Planning on installing an extractor fan in the en-suite to reduce
condensation - currently looking at:
http://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/a...-fan-129-p.asp

Wondering about how to activate/deactivate the fan. Options seem to be:

(1) dedicated on/off switch
(2) wired to light circuit with 2 min delay
(3) wired to light circuit with in-line isolator switch

I tend to favour (3) since it allows the light to be on without the fan -
good for those occasions when lighting only is needed. What are the regs
concerning switches, fuses etc?

Also wondering about best place to install - currently favouring ceiling
mount near door rather than directly above shower cubicle.

Any comments?

About to have a shower extract fan fitted. I have gone for an in-line
Soler & Palau TD160 http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTD160.html
which is exceptionally quiet and moves a reasonable volume of air at
its low power setting. The extract grille is being sited directly
over the shower enclosure. I was thinking of a separate (Vent-Axia)
humidistat with a discreet pull cord over-ride
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vent-Axia-Ec.../dp/B006TGB3QE
but given the cost I am considering a pre-set timer switch such as
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/EK560Adash1.html
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2012 12:25, Thomas wrote:
Hello

Planning on installing an extractor fan in the en-suite to reduce
condensation - currently looking at:
http://www.extractorfanworld.co.uk/a...-fan-129-p.asp

Wondering about how to activate/deactivate the fan. Options seem to be:

(1) dedicated on/off switch
(2) wired to light circuit with 2 min delay
(3) wired to light circuit with in-line isolator switch

I tend to favour (3) since it allows the light to be on without the fan -
good for those occasions when lighting only is needed. What are the regs
concerning switches, fuses etc?

Also wondering about best place to install - currently favouring ceiling
mount near door rather than directly above shower cubicle.

Any comments?

Thanks
Thomas

You have to install an isolator switch for it, these are generally
installed outside the bathroom - If you have a fan that has a built in
timer and is activated by the lights, then you need a three pole
isolator like this
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4859.html

It will switch Neutral, permanent and switched live.

With this, you can simply install a timed fan (an/or a humidistat) and
turn this switch off when you just want lights and no fan, for the
midnight relief.

If the fan is just a simple fan without a timer, or their PIR model
(assuming this doesn't need a connection to the light switch as well as
a permanent supply) and you want intendant control, then you just need a
normal switched fuse spur like this
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK1040.html

The fan instructions will specify what fuse rating it requires, if that
matches what your lighting circuit is protected with, then you won't
need to install an extra fused spur like this if you choose the timed
type with a fan isolator switch.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK0337.html

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the very useful replies

Thomas

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Going down much the same route (TD250) but I think I will pay up for the
Vent-Axia humidistat.
Had one before and liked it.
Will probably get a run on timer - could get the fan with timer but I
suspect that changing the delay time will require access to the fan body -
the one in the loft is fine but the one in the ceiling downstairs may be
more of an issue.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 16:41:35 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

[...]

I have had a chat with the sparks about the humidistat and he
mentioned that they can be prone to switching on when the shower is
not in use but the bathroom temperature falls/humidity increases when
the CH switches off or goes to night set back. Have you any
experience of this? I see that Vent-Axia now do a 'stat which can
cope with this problem
http://www.vent-axia.com/product/amb...-sensor.html-1
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Interesting - the looks like an alternative to the one I found on the
Vent-Axia site a few days back.
This http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/XPXRH.html was the one I was about
to order.
No explanation about the two switches.

I have heard loads of stories about nuisance switching on humid nights.
All I can say is that we didn't have this problem in our previous bathroom
where we had an older Xpelair.
I suspect that it may happen on a few very warm and humid summer nights but
we haven't had any of those for a few years :-(
Nice technology - not sure I would pay extra for it.

Thanks for the VentAxia link - I was focussed on Xpelair products.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rbel wrote in message ...

I have had a chat with the sparks about the humidistat and he
mentioned that they can be prone to switching on when the shower is
not in use but the bathroom temperature falls/humidity increases when
the CH switches off or goes to night set back. Have you any
experience of this? I see that Vent-Axia now do a 'stat which can
cope with this problem
http://www.vent-axia.com/product/amb...-sensor.html-1
--

This is precisely the problem that we are experiencing with our recently
installed AirFlow humidistat fan. The blasted thing seems to come on when

Unfortunately the problem persists even if I set the unit to its least
sensitive humitidy settings (on at 90% off at 80% RH). I should say that the
unit does switch off eventually and you can speed it up by directing a
hairdryer at it. Even more unfortunately the unit cannot be configured to
ignore the humidistat and switch off on the timer or on/off switch. We've
had to resort to isolating the unit some nights. Will probably swap it for a
simple timer or on/off model.

Thanks
Thomas

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomas" wrote in message

rbel wrote in message ...

[...]

Makes me wonder if this depends on the part of the country you are in.
We are close to the sea but it doesn't seem to get overly humid (at least
not according to the humidity meters in the indoor/outdoor thermometer
thingies).

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Extractor fans ? the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 25 October 21st 09 11:22 PM
PIR extractor fans Jeff Layman[_2_] UK diy 4 September 20th 09 10:51 AM
Extractor fans Anna Kettle[_3_] UK diy 8 April 23rd 09 11:30 AM
Extractor fans Adrian UK diy 4 December 4th 08 06:37 PM
extractor fans [email protected] UK diy 0 January 27th 07 02:02 PM