UPVC door lock repair

Old September 2nd 12, 09:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC door lock repair

Our front door has been getting harder to unlock recently - I've changed
the eurolock barrel and it's made no difference and as far as I can see,
the door hasn't dropped enough to be causing the issue.

Given that, I'm pondering changing the entire mechanism.

Anyone have any experience of fitting the repair kit from toolstation?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p93545

I'm assuming UPVC doors are all much the same, and that should fit ok?

Anything to watch for?

Cheers,

Darren

Old September 2nd 12, 09:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2012 21:10, D.M.Chapman wrote:
Our front door has been getting harder to unlock recently - I've changed
the eurolock barrel and it's made no difference and as far as I can see,
the door hasn't dropped enough to be causing the issue.

Given that, I'm pondering changing the entire mechanism.

Anyone have any experience of fitting the repair kit from toolstation?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p93545

I'm assuming UPVC doors are all much the same, and that should fit ok?

Anything to watch for?

Cheers,

Darren

I haven't and I'd like to know more. If you have a go, can you post the
results here please?

Old September 2nd 12, 09:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I haven't and I'd like to know more. If you have a go, can you post the
results here please?

Damn - I thought you'd be the most likely to have used it

Will let you know if I fit one (or fail to fit one!).

Day off on Wednesday - might have a go then

Darren

Old September 2nd 12, 10:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dmc@puffin. (D.M.Chapman) writes:

Our front door has been getting harder to unlock recently - I've changed
the eurolock barrel and it's made no difference and as far as I can see,
the door hasn't dropped enough to be causing the issue.

Does it make any difference if you operate the lock with the door
open, as opposed to closed?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old September 2nd 12, 10:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss

On 02/09/2012 21:10, D.M.Chapman wrote:
Our front door has been getting harder to unlock recently - I've changed
the eurolock barrel and it's made no difference and as far as I can see,
the door hasn't dropped enough to be causing the issue.

Given that, I'm pondering changing the entire mechanism.

Anyone have any experience of fitting the repair kit from toolstation?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p93545

I'm assuming UPVC doors are all much the same, and that should fit ok?

Anything to watch for?

Cheers,

Darren

I haven't and I'd like to know more. If you have a go, can you post the
results here please?

Dont know about repair kit but does it lock/unlock ok when the door is
open as some doors have a few parts that can be adjusted.
Old September 2nd 12, 10:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ss wrote:

Dont know about repair kit but does it lock/unlock ok when the door is
open as some doors have a few parts that can be adjusted.

Nope, still jams up at times. Whatever is broken/breaking/knackered is in
the door...

Darren

Old September 2nd 12, 10:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Does it make any difference if you operate the lock with the door
open, as opposed to closed?

Nope, the problem is in the door somewhere. A kit that replaces all the
moving bits for 50 quid appeals :-)

Darren

Old September 2nd 12, 10:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss

On 02/09/2012 22:10, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In ,
Andrew wrote:

Does it make any difference if you operate the lock with the door
open, as opposed to closed?

Nope, the problem is in the door somewhere. A kit that replaces all the
moving bits for 50 quid appeals :-)

Darren

Ok the kit may be a quick option but I would be inclined to take the
complete mechanism off the door and see how it operates `off door`
Personally I wouldnt want to replace anything until I got to what was
actually causing it. More so me cause spending £50 doesnt appeal :-(
Old September 3rd 12, 03:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Does it make any difference if you operate the lock with the door
open, as opposed to closed?

yes. The door can be opened and cant be closed if you lock it with the
door open

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Old September 3rd 12, 09:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012 20:10:52 +0000 (UTC), D.M.Chapman wrote:

Our front door has been getting harder to unlock recently - I've changed
the eurolock barrel and it's made no difference and as far as I can see,
the door hasn't dropped enough to be causing the issue.

Given that, I'm pondering changing the entire mechanism.

Anyone have any experience of fitting the repair kit from toolstation?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p93545

I'm assuming UPVC doors are all much the same, and that should fit ok?

Anything to watch for?

Cheers,

Darren

More options he
http://shop.windowrepairshop.co.uk/e.../es115683_shop

You need to get the exact match for various dimensions: key to handle,
'backset' (from plate to key/handle, number of rollers/mushrooms (mushrooms
can be replaced by rollers - mushroom keeps don't seem to be availabe now,
but roller keeps are OK for them, so it's not critical).
I've usually found that things labelled as "universal" are from another
universe.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away