Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sticky Binoculars

replying to Ian Jackson, Anna DC wrote:
Hi Ian - did it solve the sticky walkie talkie problem because mine have done
the same (kept in a plastic bag) and I have tried anti-glue solvent to no avail

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...rs-826661-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looks like the send key is sticky as well then. :-)
This sticky rubber on plastic things question comes up regularly of cause.
I seem to recall brake fluid was the last fix suggested.
I had a shaver of the electric kind go this way only a few months ago. It
was on its last legs so I binned it. Rather more worryingly a blind persons
white cane hand grip went likt this and the more you tried to clean it off
the more rubber disappeared, so one imagines the actual chemical make up was
changing, though what it is that does it, I am not sure. I even had some
pressure rolers and idler wheels on a tape recorder go to sticky goo.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Anna DC" wrote in
message roups.com...
replying to Ian Jackson, Anna DC wrote:
Hi Ian - did it solve the sticky walkie talkie problem because mine have
done
the same (kept in a plastic bag) and I have tried anti-glue solvent to no
avail

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...rs-826661-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 17, 2012 at 8:06:46 PM UTC+1, HellyB wrote:
We have a nice pair of "rubberised" binoculars, but the "rubber" has
recently become quite sticky to the touch. Washing up liquid and other
gentle cleaners have had no effect.

Any other possible ways of removing the stickiness? (Apart from angle
grinders, of course).

--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 17, 2012 at 8:06:46 PM UTC+1, HellyB wrote:
We have a nice pair of "rubberised" binoculars, but the "rubber" has
recently become quite sticky to the touch. Washing up liquid and other
gentle cleaners have had no effect.

Any other possible ways of removing the stickiness? (Apart from angle
grinders, of course).

--
Ian

Ian, buy 'Sticky Stuff Remover' its in the shops! Rub hard with a soft cloth and the surface will clear. regards john fraioli.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 17, 2012 at 8:06:46 PM UTC+1, HellyB wrote:
We have a nice pair of "rubberised" binoculars, but the "rubber" has
recently become quite sticky to the touch. Washing up liquid and other
gentle cleaners have had no effect.

Any other possible ways of removing the stickiness? (Apart from angle
grinders, of course).

Buy 'Sticky Stuff Remover', Its in the shops. rub firmly to reveal clean surface. regards john fraioli.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 17, 2012 at 8:06:46 PM UTC+1, HellyB wrote:
We have a nice pair of "rubberised" binoculars, but the "rubber" has
recently become quite sticky to the touch. Washing up liquid and other
gentle cleaners have had no effect.

Any other possible ways of removing the stickiness? (Apart from angle
grinders, of course).

--
Buy 'sticky stuff remover' its in the shops, rub firmly with a soft cloth. regards john fraioli

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:15:52 +0100, Bod wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:08:31 +0100, Bod wrote:

"Sticky stuff remover".

Ok, but I've never heard of that before. Handy to know though.

I thought everybody had heard of it, most often used to get label residue
off furniture etc.

You thought wrong. I find white spirit perfectly adequate.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:45:15 +0100, Dave W wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:15:52 +0100, Bod wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:08:31 +0100, Bod wrote:

"Sticky stuff remover".

Ok, but I've never heard of that before. Handy to know though.

I thought everybody had heard of it, most often used to get label residue
off furniture etc.

You thought wrong. I find white spirit perfectly adequate.

Doesn't that remove colour from things?

--
Carenza Lewis about finding food in the Middle Ages on 'Time Team Live' said: "You'd eat beaver if you could get it."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:45:15 +0100, Dave W wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:15:52 +0100, Bod wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:08:31 +0100, Bod wrote:

"Sticky stuff remover".

Ok, but I've never heard of that before. Handy to know though.

I thought everybody had heard of it, most often used to get label
residue
off furniture etc.

You thought wrong. I find white spirit perfectly adequate.

Doesn't that remove colour from things?

Start with meths, then move on to white spirit. But not for wooden
furniture.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:56:10 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:45:15 +0100, Dave W wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:15:52 +0100, Bod wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 15:08:31 +0100, Bod wrote:

"Sticky stuff remover".

Ok, but I've never heard of that before. Handy to know though.

I thought everybody had heard of it, most often used to get label
residue
off furniture etc.

You thought wrong. I find white spirit perfectly adequate.

Doesn't that remove colour from things?

Start with meths, then move on to white spirit. But not for wooden
furniture.

That's why I use sticky stuff remover. It doesn't damage things.

I only use white spirit on my hands (no point on paintbrushes, just as cheap to buy a new brush than use loads of white spirit cleaning it).

--
A female kangaroo has three vaginas, and a male kangaroo has two penises.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 06:00:36 -0700, maefraioli wrote:

On Friday, August 17, 2012 at 8:06:46 PM UTC+1, HellyB wrote:
We have a nice pair of "rubberised" binoculars, but the "rubber" has
recently become quite sticky to the touch. Washing up liquid and other
gentle cleaners have had no effect.

Any other possible ways of removing the stickiness? (Apart from angle
grinders, of course).

--
Ian

Multiple postings and you still didn't notice it's a 4 and a half years
old query!

--
TOJ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I remember this thread. Just goes to show, Nostalgia is what it used to be
after all!
Brian

So do I. LOL
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 April 2017 23:37:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 18/04/2017 15:15, Bod wrote:

"Sticky stuff remover".

Ok, but I've never heard of that before. Handy to know though.

They stopped selling it about 5 years ago ...

Like hell they did.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...uff+remover%22

Pricey way to buy solvent

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 18 April 2017 23:37:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 18/04/2017 15:15, Bod wrote:

"Sticky stuff remover".

Ok, but I've never heard of that before. Handy to know though.

They stopped selling it about 5 years ago ...

Like hell they did.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...uff+remover%22

Pricey way to buy solvent

Its more than just solvent. I tried all the readily available solvents
and they dont do anything like the same job on the worst labels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 23:48:25 +0100, wrote:

On Tuesday, 18 April 2017 23:37:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message
news

No it isn't. Those prices are **** all, they cost less than a meal in a restaurant.

--
What do you call kinky sex with chocolate?
S&M&M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 23:48:25 +0100, wrote:

On Tuesday, 18 April 2017 23:37:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 18/04/2017 15:15, Bod wrote:

"Sticky stuff remover".

Ok, but I've never heard of that before. Handy to know though.

They stopped selling it about 5 years ago ...

Like hell they did.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...uff+remover%22

Pricey way to buy solvent

Have you seen the price of white spirit? It's so expensive it's cheaper to throw away the dirty brush.

--
What do you call kinky sex with chocolate?
S&M&M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news On 18/04/2017 15:15, Bod wrote:

"Sticky stuff remover".

Ok, but I've never heard of that before. Handy to know though.

They stopped selling it about 5 years ago ...

Like hell they did.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...uff+remover%22

Pricey way to buy solvent

Its more than just solvent.

sounds unlikely

I tried all the readily available solvents
and they dont do anything like the same job on the worst labels.

so you need the right solvent(s). Whatever that is.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news On 18/04/2017 15:15, Bod wrote:

"Sticky stuff remover".

Ok, but I've never heard of that before. Handy to know though.

They stopped selling it about 5 years ago ...

Like hell they did.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...uff+remover%22

Pricey way to buy solvent

Its more than just solvent.

sounds unlikely

I tried all the readily available solvents
and they don't do anything like the same job on the worst labels.

so you need the right solvent(s). Whatever that is.

It's Wodney, he wouldn't know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news On 18/04/2017 15:15, Bod wrote:

"Sticky stuff remover".

Ok, but I've never heard of that before. Handy to know though.

They stopped selling it about 5 years ago ...

Like hell they did.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...uff+remover%22

Pricey way to buy solvent

Its more than just solvent.

sounds unlikely

If it wasn't, people would just use white spirit. There's no way they've managed to sell a product for decades that's just white spirit rebadged.

I tried all the readily available solvents
and they dont do anything like the same job on the worst labels.

so you need the right solvent(s). Whatever that is.

The stuff in sticky stuff remover is perfected. Of course I have nothing to do with this company and don't make any money from them at all :-)

--
Listerine was invented in the 19th century as powerful surgical antiseptic. It was later sold, in a very distilled form, as both a floor cleaner and a cure for gonorrhea. But it wasn't a runaway success until the 1920s, when it was pitched as a solution to "chronic halitosis", the faux medical term that the Listerine advertising group created in 1921 to describe bad breath. By creating a "medical condition" for which consumers now felt they needed a cure, Listerine created the market for their mouthwash. Until that time, bad breath was not conventionally considered catastrophic, but Listerine's ad campaign changed that. In just seven years, the company's revenues rose from $115,000 to more than $8 million.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news On 18/04/2017 15:15, Bod wrote:

"Sticky stuff remover".

Ok, but I've never heard of that before. Handy to know though.

They stopped selling it about 5 years ago ...

Like hell they did.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...uff+remover%22

Pricey way to buy solvent

Its more than just solvent.

sounds unlikely

Then you need to get those ears tested, BAD.

I tried all the readily available solvents
and they dont do anything like the same job on the worst labels.

so you need the right solvent(s). Whatever that is.

No such animal. There is no solvent for some plastics.