Triton shower pressure relief valve

Old August 5th 12, 10:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Triton shower pressure relief valve

I have a Triton Aquatronic 2 Ultra electric shower where the pressure
relief valve has operated.

I can see that the device can be removed from the shower and is listed
as a replaceable part.

It may be a bit of a hassle to remove unless I can find my right angled
screwdrivers so before I dismantle it can the valve be reset or does it
have to be replaced?

Currently with the shower hose removed (removing any restrictions) and
the shower running without heating the pressure relief is still open.

(And before anyone advises, yes the shower is now electrically isolated
both by the pull switch being off and the dedicated MCB in the consumer
unit switched off)

Old August 5th 12, 10:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan writes:

I have a Triton Aquatronic 2 Ultra electric shower where the pressure
relief valve has operated.

I can see that the device can be removed from the shower and is listed
as a replaceable part.

It may be a bit of a hassle to remove unless I can find my right angled
screwdrivers so before I dismantle it can the valve be reset or does it
have to be replaced?

Currently with the shower hose removed (removing any restrictions) and
the shower running without heating the pressure relief is still open.

(And before anyone advises, yes the shower is now electrically isolated
both by the pull switch being off and the dedicated MCB in the consumer
unit switched off)

Is the heating tank choked with limescale?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old August 5th 12, 01:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I dunno about this particular model, but on another Triton Shower I've had,
the pressure relief valve was non-resettable. IIRC it is a small nylon
fitting with a rubber?? insert, which either melts or gets blown out in case
the pressure gets too high.

Triton charge an arm and a leg for spares, irritatingly.

I think lack of regular descaling of the shower head caused the problem with
ours.

HTH
Jon

Old August 7th 12, 07:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2012 12:50, The Night Tripper wrote:
I dunno about this particular model, but on another Triton Shower I've had,
the pressure relief valve was non-resettable. IIRC it is a small nylon
fitting with a rubber?? insert, which either melts or gets blown out in case
the pressure gets too high.

Triton charge an arm and a leg for spares, irritatingly.

I think lack of regular descaling of the shower head caused the problem with
ours.

HTH
Jon

It appears that in all Triton electric showers that the pressure relief
device is simple a plastic fitting with a hole on the middle. Into this
hole is fitted a very small hard plastic ball. If there is excessive
pressure the ball is pushed through the hole and it exits via the output
tube and down the bath plughole never to be seen again

The whole assembly can be replaced in around 10 minutes and costs 8/10.
There is no need to turn off the water.

I opted for buying 3 replacement balls from an Ebay seller for around a
fiver. The ball take seconds to fit into the old fitting (once removed
from the shower). I then de-scaled the shower head.

Everything is back up and working.