How much should a bathroom refit cost?

Old July 18th 12, 09:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much should a bathroom refit cost?

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts" wrote
"tim....." wrote

... And whether to fit a fixed screen or a curtain.

Two things about curtains:

1) the prettiest ones, which hang nicely, are not waterproof - a direct
jet of water pointed at them lets a fine mist through. The ones
which are waterproof are more like thick plastic than fabric.

2) a curtain is a really cheap way to introduce a substantial bit of
colour and make a room more cheerful, and - of course - you can
change the 'look' very easily

But are a pain in the arse to use compared with a fixed screen.
Old July 18th 12, 09:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , tim.....
wrote:

But I was disabused from that notion when my sister got a quote for 17
grand, yes that was seventeen grand.

OK so it was for ridiculously expensive fittings but even after you
stripped that out the labour cost was 8K.

we had a quote 2 years ago for 13k - bath, shower, wc and basin, new ch
radiator, replaster ceiling and walls then tiles allround. Needless to
say
we didn't go with it.

I had a quote 20 years ago to refit my small kitchen: 7500, not including
flooring or tiling. Looking at the plan more closely, it didn't include a
cooker either!

At the time I probably only had 50' worth of utensils to store in the
cupboards. In the end I fitted my own units for about 300.

--
Bartc

Old July 18th 12, 10:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2012 21:32, Rod Speed wrote:
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts" wrote
"tim....." wrote

... And whether to fit a fixed screen or a curtain.

Two things about curtains:

1) the prettiest ones, which hang nicely, are not waterproof - a
direct jet of water pointed at them lets a fine mist through. The ones
which are waterproof are more like thick plastic than fabric.

2) a curtain is a really cheap way to introduce a substantial bit of
colour and make a room more cheerful, and - of course - you can
change the 'look' very easily

But are a pain in the arse to use compared with a fixed screen.

I was once in a bathroom & kitchen showroom ordering my new kitchen
about 3 years ago.

Their bathroom fitter came in into the show room and I got chatting to
the fitter having done my bathroom a few months earlier.

My bathroom cost just 1000 in materials. This included floor to ceiling
tiles on all walls, a new three piece suite, a shower, some wall units
and a new floor.

I asked him what the typical total cost was to his customers for a
bathroom refit and how long he spends on each job.

He said to me that He does one bathroom a month. He also said that the
total average cost of a bathroom refit was 8,500...... and that half
this money was for his labour.

Regards

Stephen
Old July 18th 12, 10:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:21:49 +0100, chris French
wrote:

The one nod to "better" I was expecting to take is a bath made out of
thicker plastic as I can't stand the way the thinner ones flex. Are
you saying that this isn't worth paying for?

Well going on the baths I looked at for the old bathrooom (about 10+
years ago) IMO it certainly is.

some didn't feel very substantial at all. We put in a corner bath. It
was 8mm acrylic from Ideal standard. It wasn't a cheapy bath, but nor do
I remember it being esp. expensive. It had a decent thick bit of
chipboard or somesuch to support the base, and came with decent
supports. Once fitted it felt sturdy.

Though I don't like the way acrylic baths scratch, no matter how careful
you are. I'm thinking of enamelled steel this time for the bathroom I
need to get done this year.

The Ideal Standard steel baths are fine (used to specify them for
hotel use) but I am not at all keen on their (or anybody else's)
standard acrylic. Hence my choice of Eastbrook/Carron Carronite -
180/200 ukp more than standard acrylic but the next best thing to cast
iron. Jewson usually have one on display for you to jump in (and kick
the bath panels).
--
rbel
Old July 18th 12, 10:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen H wrote:
[...]

That says it all. My parents were quoted 12K for a new bathroom. We DIYed it
for 5K.

--
Adam

Old July 18th 12, 11:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Williamson
writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
chris French wrote:

Though I don't like the way acrylic baths scratch, no matter how
careful you are. I'm thinking of enamelled steel this time for the
bathroom I need to get done this year.

so you can have it chip, instead?

What would you suggest.

Acrylic or fibreglass, both of which scratch if you look at them too
hard, or enamelled steel or cast iron that chips with rather more
difficulty? Or something else entirely?

Exactly, acrylic unavoidably scratches, just from general use and
cleaning etc. and gets gradually dulled over the years.

Yeah sure you can chip and enamelled bath, but it's mcuh harder, you
have to actually drop something hard enough into it to chip it for
starters, and mostly people don't have things like that around their
bath. And chips can be quite nicely repaired nowadays.

--
Chris French

Old July 18th 12, 11:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... wrote:
So how much should I expect to pay for a full (small) bathroom refit using
quality, but not designer, fitments.

I've just had a: rip out to brickwork and floorboards, supply all
parts, fit, floor, tile and make good. Bath with shower over,
toilet, basin, tiled to ceiling around bath. 6000.

Started like this: http://pics.mdfs.net/2012/01/120105.htm

Haven't taken a photo yet, but finished similar to this one
next door: http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/08/110813.htm

JGH
Old July 19th 12, 09:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message

tim.... wrote:
So how much should I expect to pay for a full (small) bathroom refit using
quality, but not designer, fitments.

I've just had a: rip out to brickwork and floorboards, supply all
parts, fit, floor, tile and make good. Bath with shower over,
toilet, basin, tiled to ceiling around bath. 6000.

Started like this: http://pics.mdfs.net/2012/01/120105.htm

Haven't taken a photo yet, but finished similar to this one
next door: http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/08/110813.htm

Without the brown bath one hopes!

But anyways, what part of that work makes it's 6K?

TIA

tim

Old July 19th 12, 09:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen H" wrote in message ...

I was once in a bathroom & kitchen showroom ordering my new kitchen about 3
years ago.

Their bathroom fitter came in into the show room and I got chatting to the
fitter having done my bathroom a few months earlier.

My bathroom cost just 1000 in materials. This included floor to ceiling
tiles on all walls, a new three piece suite, a shower, some wall units and
a new floor.

I asked him what the typical total cost was to his customers for a bathroom
refit and how long he spends on each job.

He said to me that He does one bathroom a month. He also said that the
total average cost of a bathroom refit was 8,500...... and that half this
money was for his labour.

Is that because he charges silly money for his labour, or because each one
is a long job?

tim

Old July 19th 12, 09:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message ...

Stephen H wrote:
[...]

And how many man-hours did it take

tim

Ballpark cost of basic new bathroom? Eddy[_2_] UK diy 23 January 19th 08 09:16 PM
Rough cost for a fitted bathroom Simon Finnigan UK diy 20 September 19th 07 11:41 PM
WC removal and refit John UK diy 8 May 8th 07 02:10 PM
New Bathroom - cost? huLLy UK diy 27 April 8th 06 12:20 AM
Helping Mum refit her bathroom .. T i m UK diy 15 January 7th 05 09:50 AM