Flat-screen TV - "temporary" wall mounting

Old July 15th 12, 11:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flat-screen TV - "temporary" wall mounting

A new tenant of mine has asked me if he can mount his large flatscreen
TV on the wall of my property. Up until now I've always resisted such
requests because I'm concerned about damage to the (solid brick) walls
caused by multiple drill holes - tenants tend to be fairly short-term so
I'd run the risk of completely honeycombed brickwork if a new mount gets
erected every year or so.

I've been mulling over a possible solution though that would keep both
tenants and me happy. They all seem to want to put the TV over the
fireplace (why?!?); so what I was wondering about was hacking back an
area of plaster to the brickwork, about 12" high x 18" long, and then
firmly attaching a matching rectangle of three-quarter-inch ply to the
brickwork, ie recessed into the plaster. Finish and paint to match the
walls (ie magnolia!). Tenant would then be free to screw his TV bracket
to the wooden panel; for any tenant without a bracket, the panel would
simply be concealed behind a 24" x 36" mirror which currently hangs there.

When the wooden panel is too riddled with holes for any more mounts to
be safely attached; then the idea would be just renew it (ie using the
same brickwork drill holes as before).

The only issue I can think of with this Cunning Plan is whether the
panel will be meaty enough to take the weight. Would three-quarter-inch
ply (what, 16mm thick in actuality?) be adequate? Would blockboard be
better/worse? Or maybe a couple of planks of solid timber?

The TV of the new tenant (not moved in yet) is apparently 49", which
sounds a bit heavy to me...

Any thoughts?
Thanks
David
Old July 15th 12, 11:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

I gave up on those, they just make my head hurt.

What about a decent wall mount that will take the largest
TV sold, which stays with the flat between tenants ?

Maybe unscrewed from the wall and retained when a
particular tenant doesn't want a wall mounted TV there ?

Old July 15th 12, 11:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
A new tenant of mine has asked me if he can mount his large flatscreen
TV on the wall of my property. Up until now I've always resisted such
requests because I'm concerned about damage to the (solid brick) walls
caused by multiple drill holes - tenants tend to be fairly short-term so
I'd run the risk of completely honeycombed brickwork if a new mount gets
erected every year or so.

Tell them if they do fit one the bracket complete must be left when they
move on. Your next tenant can then use it - TV sets have standard fixings.

However, if it's properly put up using Rawlbolts, it could be removed
easily with no damage to the wall.

--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 16th 12, 12:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

However, if it's properly put up using Rawlbolts, it could be removed
easily with no damage to the wall.

Do all fireplaces have the chimney part far enough back into the wall that
there's no risk of these rawlbolts puncturing the chimney? I mean, I know
the chimney appears to be towards the back of a grate, but do any of them
then open out into a chimney that's much further forward into the room than
you might expect?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Old July 16th 12, 07:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

If its a Plasma you might have issues but otherwise unless its a militarised
design.. grin. I would reckon its fine.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Old July 16th 12, 07:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeremy Nicoll - news posts" wrote
in message nvalid...
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

However, if it's properly put up using Rawlbolts, it could be removed
easily with no damage to the wall.

Do all fireplaces have the chimney part far enough back into the wall that
there's no risk of these rawlbolts puncturing the chimney? I mean, I
know
the chimney appears to be towards the back of a grate, but do any of them
then open out into a chimney that's much further forward into the room
than
you might expect?

If its a wall mounted gas fire it might have flu bricks/blocks above it, you
really can't drill them and not expect to have to repair it as they are
really thin walled
..
If its a proper chimney it will be at least one brick thick. That's deep
enough for a ~3.5" hole.

Old July 16th 12, 08:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tenant would then be free to screw his TV
bracket to the wooden panel;

Any thoughts?

Only one: how do you stop a tenant putting, say, M12 x 100mm expanding
bolts through the wooden panel into the bricks? Steel plate behind the
ply? (I'm not sure I'd be happy to trust to screws into 3/4" ply of
unknown provenance.)
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Old July 16th 12, 08:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2012 23:41, Rod Speed wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the replies.

I quite like the idea of having my own 'standard' mount; but are they
all really the same size fitting? - ie would one suitable for the
forthcoming 49" monster also be suitable for a rather more modest 19" model?

David
Old July 16th 12, 08:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lobster wrote

[...]

They are pretty close to standard now with most
TVs, particularly if you buy the right mount yourself.

The mount I have just bought for my PC monitors
does take any monitors with VESA standard mounting
holes, and it allows for both the common VESA sizes,
both 75mm and 100mm. Same is true for the best
TV wall mounts too with the standards that TVs use.

- ie would one suitable for the forthcoming 49" monster also be suitable
for a rather more modest 19" model?

If you buy the correct mount, yes.

And in the unlikely event that the new tenant does have
a TV which wont fit the mount you have carefully chosen
because it does take almost all flat TVs, they worst you
have to do is say no to that particular tenant or allow
them to use their own mount, so the worst you would
end up with is two sets of holes in the wall, not lots of them.

And there are plenty bigger than 49" too now as well.

They may not get used much by renters in flats tho.

Old July 16th 12, 11:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I quite like the idea of having my own 'standard' mount; but are they
all really the same size fitting? - ie would one suitable for the
forthcoming 49" monster also be suitable for a rather more modest 19"
model?

Yes - if you buy the right one. I recently fitted one for a pal and got it
from TLC. His set was a monster 55" or whatever, but it could have been
used with a smaller one. Not sure it would go as small as 19", though - do
they still make such a small size?

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *