Antony

Default Removing glue from skirting board

I'm replacing laminate flooring with carpet. I've taken some beading off
that was fastened all around the skirting board with glue. It came off
easily but there's a noticable trail of glue all round the skirting that is
difficult to shift.

What's the best way to remove this? I've tried sanding but with no success.
I've tried a chisel but it's a slow process and I've got 20m of board to do.

Any suggestions?

Roger Mills

"Antony" wrote in message
.. .
I'm replacing laminate flooring with carpet. I've taken some beading off
that was fastened all around the skirting board with glue. It came off
easily but there's a noticable trail of glue all round the skirting that

is
difficult to shift.

What's the best way to remove this? I've tried sanding but with no

success.
I've tried a chisel but it's a slow process and I've got 20m of board to

do.

Any suggestions?

I think I would try scraping the worst off by dragging a sharp chisel across
it, and than sanding it with an orbital sander (on its side, of course)
using fairly coarse grade sandpaper.

Roger

Oliver Brearley

Antony wrote in message
.. .
I'm replacing laminate flooring with carpet. I've taken some beading off
that was fastened all around the skirting board with glue. It came off
easily but there's a noticable trail of glue all round the skirting that

is
difficult to shift.

What's the best way to remove this? I've tried sanding but with no

success.
I've tried a chisel but it's a slow process and I've got 20m of board to

do.

Any suggestions?

Some steam wallpaper strippers come with a small attachment head attachment.
Maybe heating the glue will help to remove it. Better still a belt sander
(B&Q Pro ~£70) with a `light touch' will eat through this, then use an
orbital sander for a fine finish. If there's any staining of the wood then
liquid paint stripper will help remove this together will a paint /
wallpaper stripping knife.

However, get down to a timber merchant and cost it for replacement, you may
be surprised !

Hope this helps - Oliver.

BillR

Oliver Brearley wrote:
Antony wrote in message
.. .
I'm replacing laminate flooring with carpet. I've taken some beading
off that was fastened all around the skirting board with glue. It
came off easily but there's a noticable trail of glue all round the
skirting that is difficult to shift.

If it was no-nails or similar this is very difficult to get off..

What's the best way to remove this? I've tried sanding but with no
success. I've tried a chisel but it's a slow process and I've got
20m of board to do.

Keep scraping away ...
Any suggestions?

Some steam wallpaper strippers come with a small attachment head
attachment. Maybe heating the glue will help to remove it. Better
still a belt sander (B&Q Pro ~£70) with a `light touch' will eat
through this, then use an orbital sander for a fine finish. If
there's any staining of the wood then liquid paint stripper will help
remove this together will a paint / wallpaper stripping knife.

However, get down to a timber merchant and cost it for replacement,
you may be surprised !

How true, in similar position I found bog standard dual profile pine
skirting was 88p/metre in timber merchant.
It just wasn't worth the effort or risk of cleaning up the old stuff....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was able to do it with a 2inch bladed wall paper scraper and a hammer. Still took time but the end product was worth it as the project was low budget with no time limit.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ard-28553-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2021 15:15, Ryan2243 wrote:
I was able to do it with a 2inch bladed wall paper scraper and a hammer.
Still took time but the end product was worth it as the project was low
budget with no time limit.

** 17 ** years ago !!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2021 15:32, Andrew wrote:
On 28/01/2021 15:15, Ryan2243 wrote:
I was able to do it with a 2inch bladed wall paper scraper and a
hammer. Still took time but the end product was worth it as the
project was low budget with no time limit.

** 17 ** years ago !!

Well the reply did say no time limit. Perhaps it has taken 17 years to
remove the glue by his method?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ryan2243" wrote in message
roupdirect.com...
I was able to do it with a 2inch bladed wall paper scraper and a hammer.
Still took time but the end product was worth it as the project was low
budget with no time limit.

Unlikely to still need to know 17 years later.
--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ard-28553-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 10:31:50 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 15:32:38 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 28/01/2021 15:15, Ryan2243 wrote:
I was able to do it with a 2inch bladed wall paper scraper and a
hammer.
Still took time but the end product was worth it as the project was low
budget with no time limit.

** 17 ** years ago !!

Why mention it...?

Because it might get some to check the
age before replying to a post on that site.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 10:39:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
his particular prowess at it every day."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe that is how long it took, they did say no time limit. I know people
who have half built bodged in kitchens for about that long.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
On 28/01/2021 15:15, Ryan2243 wrote:
I was able to do it with a 2inch bladed wall paper scraper and a hammer.
Still took time but the end product was worth it as the project was low
budget with no time limit.

** 17 ** years ago !!

feeding wires from/to behind skirting NC UK diy 7 August 28th 03 05:02 PM
removing skirting 'neatly' ! NC UK diy 9 August 20th 03 02:44 PM
Replacing skirting board Phil UK diy 5 August 11th 03 06:59 PM
removing skirting boards Roger Mills UK diy 3 August 4th 03 05:42 PM