Nibs

Default Plasterboard Over Tiles

Hi,

We are updating a bathroom which is fully tiled. I only want tiles around
bath. Is it okay to put plasterboard over old tiles as We were going to tile
over the old ones and dont want to take them off as the new bath is
already in place.

Thanks,

Kev..

BigWallop

"Nibs" wrote in message
Hi,

We are updating a bathroom which is fully tiled. I only want tiles around
bath. Is it okay to put plasterboard over old tiles as We were going to

tile
over the old ones and dont want to take them off as the new bath is
already in place.

Thanks,

Kev..

Place a cover over the bath and break all the old tiles off the wall. Then
start again with your new tiles. Putting plasterboard on top of tiles is
very difficult to do and couldn't be guaranteed to stay put for very long.
It also take some more space away from the roll edge of the bath. So take
the old tiles and start again. It looks so much better and lasts a whole
lot longer if done properly.

Michael Mcneil

"Nibs" wrote in message

Hi,

We are updating a bathroom which is fully tiled. I only want tiles around
the bath.

Yes, no problem as long as you seal the bottom correctly.

You can also tile ove old tiles directly. Paint them with PVA glue. When
dry they can be overlaid with new tiles.

In either case remove any loose ones first though.

Michael Mcneil

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Nibs" wrote in message
We are updating a bathroom which is fully tiled. I only want tiles around
bath. Is it okay to put plasterboard over old tiles as We were going to

tile
over the old ones and dont want to take them off as the new bath is
already in place.

Place a cover over the bath and break all the old tiles off the wall. Then
start again with your new tiles. Putting plasterboard on top of tiles is
very difficult to do and couldn't be guaranteed to stay put for very long.
It also take some more space away from the roll edge of the bath. So take
the old tiles and start again. It looks so much better and lasts a whole
lot longer if done properly.

That's what I'd do too. It all depends on how much space he has got
though. He'd have to seat the plasterboard in silicon and use a beading
too if the bath is tight to the wall. I wonder why he's only thinking of
the tiles now?

BillR

Michael Mcneil wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Nibs" wrote in message
[...]

Most DIY disasters are caused bu people not thinking ahead :-)

Assuming new bath goes under edge of existing tiles, as is usual, adding
plasterboard & wall tiles with their adhesive on top will cover up more of
the edge o fthe bath which could look very odd.
I'd knock off the tiles too. I just did this with a bath in place. Protected
bath, used SDS drill with tile removing bit, took all of 10 minutes.

Nibs

Most DIY disasters are caused bu people not thinking ahead :-)

Assuming new bath goes under edge of existing tiles, as is usual, adding
plasterboard & wall tiles with their adhesive on top will cover up more of
the edge o fthe bath which could look very odd.
I'd knock off the tiles too. I just did this with a bath in place.

Protected
bath, used SDS drill with tile removing bit, took all of 10 minutes.

I think my question was confusing.
Whole bathroom is tiled. Bath is fitted upto tiles. 3 kids under four mean
that bath needed as soon as possible.
I've fitted bath and then was going to tile over old tile for whole of
bathroom.
Wouldn't this make a better joint around the bath with sealant down side
against back tile and then new tile and bath seal on top.
I am not puting plasterboard anywhere near bath. I was asking if i could
save time and expense by plasterboarding/plastering over other 2 walls .
These are well away from bath and tiles well fixed.

Why would it be a disaster. I have spoken to a number of people who have
tiled over tiles succefully. Sounds better than hacking off tiles and then
having to plaster wall to get level before tiling!

BigWallop

"Nibs" wrote in message

[...]

Tiles on top of tiles is OK if you take the glaze off the old tiles first,
but you asked if it was OK to stick plasterboard over the old tiles first
and everyone has said their bit on that idea.

So stick the new tiles on top of the old YES. Sticking plasterboard on the
old tiles, then sticking new tiles on top of that NO. That's all we said.

Michael Mcneil

"BigWallop" wrote in message

Tiles on top of tiles is OK if you take the glaze off the old tiles first,
but you asked if it was OK to stick plasterboard over the old tiles first
and everyone has said their bit on that idea.

So stick the new tiles on top of the old YES. Sticking plasterboard on the
old tiles, then sticking new tiles on top of that NO. That's all we said.

If the bath is hard up to the tiles, you may be able to shift it enough
to get a course of tiles behind it. You will still need a plumb line
down the middle (or whatever off-set you choose) and don't try following
the old courses. Just wash the grease/ dirt off the old tiles and pva
them. Don't cut the pva with anything, get the room warm so the glue
dries before it runs off. Paint and stuff seems to be taking forever to
dry in this weather.

Good lick.